Is there an "ideal" age to take kids cruising?

BWVDenise

I believe in something, I just don't know what it
I'm sure everyone has their own opinion, but I don't know if we should wait until the youngest is a certain age or just go anyway (he'll be 5 when we are thinking of going). I don't know if he will be able (or willing) to do some of the excursions that we would want to take them on (and we wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them on the ship!)

Could someone move this to the cruise board PLEASE!? I don't know how to move it!

Hi Denise! I think ideally it's best to wait until the kids are old enough to enjoy the programming, which pretty much means any time from 3-4 on. My daughter did her first cruise at 5 and enjoyed it just as much then as she does now at 8.

That's not to say younger kids don't have a good time; it's just more of a logistical issue for parents with younger kids and you would have to use Flounder's Reef for babysitting.

If your youngest is five I say definitely GO! He will have a blast.

Enjoy! :)

I agree with Michelle, don't go until they can use the programs. But I'd go while they can still be really wowed by the "magic" of seeing the characters. We took my DD when she was 3 1/2 and she was simply in awe of it all. I'd like to take her again in a few years when she might still have that sense of awe but might also enjoy the kid's programs even more. Maybe between 5 and 7?

Matthew has been on the ship at 4, 5, and 6. He will be doing cruise number 4 at age 7. Although he had a great time at 4, he has seemed to enjoy the cruises at age 5 and 6 better. He has now informed us that he only wants to do dinner with us at the Animator's Palate. He doesn't want to miss any fun at the Oceaneer Lab. (except to go swimming) :D

My opinion is kids should be 5 or 6 and up. On the cruises we were on, the stroller-age children really were too young.

and cant wait!! He will be potty trained, not napping and LOVES the Disney Characters! He rarely uses a stroller and loves to be "independent" in walking! I think like most of the others...once they are old enough to use the facilities they would have a blast!! My son LOVES Disneyland so much so that when we left the last time he clung to Mickey Mouses' leg! LOL We also are taking a 7 year old (2 months away from being 8) and a 9 year old and I think we will ALL have a great time!! Oh yeah and we are taking my inlaws as well to be "nannies" for us too! :-)
Heidi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter