Is there a Universal Studios disabilities thread?

staceywj

Mouseketeer
My 10-year-old daughter’s growth plate slipped And dr had to do immediate surgery. I’m just wondering if there’s any disability threads? This is our first time going to Universal and I think I need to pre-plan to determine what rides she should and shouldn’t be going on.
I am not sure if she will be off the crutches by the time of the trip so if I do have to have her in a wheelchair is there a wheelchair accessible line or should I buy the express passes?

Not specifically. All the rides are zero entry which is a lifesaver( caveat..I don’t do roller coasters and Hagrid was too long for my DH to want to leave me in a corner somewhere while he waited to ride. ) There is no special line for wheelchairs. You either go standby or express based on status. Mummy threw me around hard and I banged a leg badly. Flight of griffin I cracked an arm getting into the contraption ...it’s very snug over the shoulders. Kong was also rough, but not as bad as Mummy. All the motion sim rides you should be okay on. Shrek has a row of non moving seats, or she can stay in the chair but it’s not that bad. Typical 4D stuff like it’s tough to be a bug.

When are you going? We just left on Sunday and not counting Hagrid, the lines never got longer than 20 minutes in either park.

Thanks, Mrsjvb, we are going November 2nd. I literally booked this days before this incident. That is my luck. Your response did make me feel though.

Op I hope your daughter improves quickly and feels better real soon

On the UO website they have a section for those disabled or needing extra help in the parks

You can go to guest services outside or inside the park
Talk to a TM and they will advise you of rides for your situation
If you get the guest assistant card, it will be helpful

Some rides you will use the elevator if you have a wc if the ride line involves stairs
If a ride line wait is 29 minutes or less, the card allows you to enter and the Tm will have you use the express line
If the present wait is 30 minutes or more, you are given a time to return

The studios close at 5:00 November 2 due to hhn
IOA closes at regular time

Macraven, thank you so much! I feel a little more relieved now. I will also check out the UO site.

I’m glad to help

I think using the guest services inside the park would likely be better for you than the outside the park park guest services for the guest assistant pass

When you are outside the park, you talk to the Tm with them inside the window

Inside the park, gs is inside the building and so are you
It is more of a private setting inside to discuss personal business

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/plan-your-visit/accessibility-information
If she has a cast anywhere, scour this pdf: https://www.universalorlando.com/webdata/k2/en/us/files/Documents/universal-orlando-riders-guide.pdf

Crutches will be absolutely miserable, so definitely get her some wheels. Even if she’s off the crutches, themeparks make for long days when recovering from surgery.

Flight of griffin I cracked an arm getting into the contraption ...it’s very snug over the shoulders.

You must mean Forbidden Journey. That has shoulder restraints. Flight of the Hippogriff is a shared lap bar.

Thanks, Mrsjvb, we are going November 2nd. I literally booked this days before this incident. That is my luck. Your response did make me feel though.

You didn’t specify ‘which’ growth place. There is big difference if affected growth plate is in your DD arm or leg.

We dealt with one of DS having issue in leg/cast. After it was removed leg was weak and muscle tone decreased. An athletle but found he tired more quickly than ever expected. He needed PT but bounced back nicely if not more lengthy time. Still, he had a rough time in the parks. We wound up with him in a WC that trip...just as his Dr had predicted.

make sure you speak to her to Dr to see if she will be medically ‘cleared’ for the trip? Might want to consider postponing it for when she is 100% if you are able.

Good luck

You didn’t specify ‘which’ growth place. There is big difference if affected growth plate is in your DD arm or leg.

We dealt with one of DS having issue in leg/cast. After it was removed leg was weak and muscle tone decreased. An athletle but found he tired more quickly than ever expected. He needed PT but bounced back nicely if not more lengthy time. Still, he had a rough time in the parks. We wound up with him in a WC that trip...just as his Dr had predicted.

make sure you speak to her to Dr to see if she will be medically ‘cleared’ for the trip? Might want to consider postponing it for when she is 100% if you are able.

Good luck
Thanks! It was her right hip, it is called a slipped capital femoral epiphysis. The doctor cleared her to fly but he said we need to discuss what types of rides she can go on during our next visit. (I don’t think he wanted to hit her too hard since he told us that she needs another surgery in a year or two and is out of all sports until then. She was totally devastated when she heard that.)

Unfortunately, this is the only time we could go because we have $1100 worth of credits for Jet Blue that we need to use by the middle of November.

But, Since I did not purchase any park tickets yet I could always look for other options in Orlando to do.

I’m glad to help

I think using the guest services inside the park would likely be better for you than the outside the park park guest services for the guest assistant pass

When you are outside the park, you talk to the Tm with them inside the window

Inside the park, gs is inside the building and so are you
It is more of a private setting inside to discuss personal business
Thank you for that info, I think this could be a good option for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!