Is there a restriction to how long you want to stay on DVC points?

Annette_C

Mouseketeer
We have only stayed no longer than a week when going to Disney on our DVC points but I was wondering....If you have enough points, can you stay two consecutive weeks...or more for that matter?

Someone told me there is a restriction on reserving more than one weekend in one stay.
Is that true?

Thanks!

Annette

That's not true.

I believe there is a max of like 30 days for a booking. There is also a cap on number of points you can own.

They might have just been thinking about booking right at the 11 month or 7 month windows when you can book up to 7 nights when the window opens. You can add on to that though or if you are booking further past the window opens you're able to book up to 30 days online I believe. It used to be restricted to 2 weeks online and anything more you had to call in but that was changed with an upgrade in the past year or two.

I don’t know about Florida, but many states have laws that treat “tenants” (those who occupy a room for more than 30 days) differently than folks who stay in a hotel room for a few nights. If you occupy a room for that long, they’d have to go through the court system to evict if you refuse to leave. That’s typically why there’s a 30 day limit on reservations. Also, for hotel rooms, taxes tend to be different at that duration.

The only limit you have to your length of stay is the total number of points you have to use to reserve a stay at a DVC resort. There are two partial limitations which actually do not limit your total potential stay time: (a) at exactly 11 months out from day of arrival (or 7 months for non-home resort), you can reserve up to 7 nights maximum, but you can then call later and add nights (the rule is effectively that your departure date from WDW can never be more than 11 (or 7) months plus 7 days from the date you call or go online to reserve); (b) if you attempt to reserve online (even well beyond the reservation window), you will be able to reserve a maximum of 30 days (that is a computer system not rule limitation and you can call and add more days; that was previously 14 days until they improved the computer systems).

As to any concerns raising issues of residency if you stay a very long time, be aware the official DVC documents prohibit you from using any stays at a DVC resort to establish residency and, in Florida, that legally prevents one from making any claim of residency based on time spent at a DVC resort. Moroever, there is no "tenancy" limitation requiring any formal eviction proceedings if you stay for a long time. In Florida, the police, upon request of the resort operator, can forcibly remove a guest from a room without any formal court proceedings.

OK - I'll be the first to say "I don't know". Yes, we ARE DVC Owners.

Were it me? I would EMAIL Member Services. EMAIL can be documented - phone calls can NOT. Ask?

They might have just been thinking about booking right at the 11 month or 7 month windows when you can book up to 7 nights when the window opens.

Sorry to go offtopic, but I just thought: why only 7 days when the reservation window opens and 30 days otherwise. Is there any reason for the difference?

Sorry to go offtopic, but I just thought: why only 7 days when the reservation window opens and 30 days otherwise. Is there any reason for the difference?

I believe what DVC said was that 7 nights was the average stay.

My understanding is the max is 2K at one resort and 5K in total. But there are ways around this.
There have been several iterations of this, I don't have a recent POS to check but I think the numbers are now higher than you state.

I don’t know about Florida, but many states have laws that treat “tenants” (those who occupy a room for more than 30 days) differently than folks who stay in a hotel room for a few nights. If you occupy a room for that long, they’d have to go through the court system to evict if you refuse to leave. That’s typically why there’s a 30 day limit on reservations. Also, for hotel rooms, taxes tend to be different at that duration.
As I understand it in FL you change from a hotel guest (short term) to a tenant at 30 days of continuous stay and can become a resident and avoid the taxes if one signs up for 6 months at a pop. The control over a tenant and the difficulties dealing with issues is much more in favor of the tenant over the owner compared to a hotel guest who does not qualify as a tenant.

We have only stayed no longer than a week when going to Disney on our DVC points but I was wondering....If you have enough points, can you stay two consecutive weeks...or more for that matter?

Someone told me there is a restriction on reserving more than one weekend in one stay.
Is that true?

Thanks!

Annette
I can say for sure this part is not true. We always stay more than one weekend. Usually 10-12 days.

It may have changed when they changed reservations from being made based on check out day rather than check in day.

This sounds like someone assumed this due to the fact you can only book 7 nights EXACTLY at the 11month for home resort/7 month mark for all other resorts. At the 10 month/6 month mark or less you can book up to 30 nights, that is if you have the points.

I have 800 points now with the specific plan to stay at WDW for 6 weeks when I retire. I'll be doing 3 weeks at BWV and then 3 weeks at SSR. My understanding is that this will not be a problem! If it is, then I will change resorts one more time!! LOL

I am at the BWV now, having checked in on Jan 4, checking out on Jan 27, same room.
No problems. (But I am so ready to go home.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter