Is there a better way for kids to see firework shows?

kerry1379

Mouseketeer
We just got back from an AMAZING 5 day Disney Trip. We love, love, loved it! I did have one question for future reference though. Is there a good place for viewing Happily Ever After so that young kids can actually see the castle projections? With the 1,000s of adults in front of us, there was just no way for them to see. I did my best to hold my 6 year old but my 10 year old and 14 year old in a wheelchair had no way to see. The best I can figure is to 1. Buy the dessert and firework viewing packages, or 2. Stake out a spot really, really, really early (like 3 hours early-though also not really feasible with young kids-or at least my kids). Any other ideas y'all have found to work for you?

I don’t know OP but I’m following along because I want to know as well. The only tips I’ve heard here are either to try the non-roped off portion of the grassy area in front of Casey’s or try to put yourself up against a fence. Not such a good show for the vertically challenged.

We had the same issue. Went to a 2nd showing because my 11 year old daughter couldn't see most of the show. Got in place an hour and a half before the show, was a great spot, then everyone stood up and a couple of selfish adults throw their kids up on shoulders.

The show is amazing, nothing else compares, but it's sadly only for adults and kids small enough to be held for 17 minutes. Wish there was a way to get everyone to sit, but good luck getting the guy willing to block a bunch of peoples view with their kids on shoulders to sit down. It really stinks, the place is for the kids, all of the projections are animated films, and the only ones who can see them are adults.

When we got home, I showed it to her on YouTube, and she was like, wow, I didn't know that's what was going on during that part. We were in the hub area, 90 minutes before the show, and this was her experience. Sad, but that's how it is, and nothing is going to change.

It never hurts to send guest services an email and let them know your feelings. Maybe if enough voice their concern, something can change. Doubtful, but it doesn't hurt. They called me when I did.

Is there no longer wheelchair parking? Has been a few trips since we used it - but used to be the roped area for the now gone night parade stayed in place.

We just got back from an AMAZING 5 day Disney Trip. We love, love, loved it! I did have one question for future reference though. Is there a good place for viewing Happily Ever After so that young kids can actually see the castle projections? With the 1,000s of adults in front of us, there was just no way for them to see. I did my best to hold my 6 year old but my 10 year old and 14 year old in a wheelchair had no way to see. The best I can figure is to 1. Buy the dessert and firework viewing packages, or 2. Stake out a spot really, really, really early (like 3 hours early-though also not really feasible with young kids-or at least my kids). Any other ideas y'all have found to work for you?
Those are your options, basically. This is one reason I'm disappointed about Wishes being replaced with HEA. Wishes was about the fireworks themselves, not the projections, & you didn't need a perfect spot to really enjoy those.

We had the same issue. Went to a 2nd showing because my 11 year old daughter couldn't see most of the show. Got in place an hour and a half before the show, was a great spot, then everyone stood up and a couple of selfish adults throw their kids up on shoulders.

The show is amazing, nothing else compares, but it's sadly only for adults and kids small enough to be held for 17 minutes. Wish there was a way to get everyone to sit, but good luck getting the guy willing to block a bunch of peoples view with their kids on shoulders to sit down. It really stinks, the place is for the kids, all of the projections are animated films, and the only ones who can see them are adults.

When we got home, I showed it to her on YouTube, and she was like, wow, I didn't know that's what was going on during that part. We were in the hub area, 90 minutes before the show, and this was her experience. Sad, but that's how it is, and nothing is going to change.

It never hurts to send guest services an email and let them know your feelings. Maybe if enough voice their concern, something can change. Doubtful, but it doesn't hurt. They called me when I did.

Personally I think the etiquette should be that all kids should be up on shoulders. It’s more important that they see than adults. :duck:

The rude person with a kid on his shoulders wouldn’t do that if his kid could see. I don’t know why that is considered the height of rudeness and a 6 foot tall person standing in front of a 5 year old is considered polite just because they got there first.

Don’t get me wrong, no kid of mine has ever or will ever be on my or DH’s shoulders during any show. But theoretically speaking I don’t understand the way the etiquette falls.

At Universal over the holidays everyone stayed seated during the Mannheim Steamroller concert and it was awesome. The kids could see, everyone was happy. It was great. But even Disney discourages sitting so sitting won’t happen.

Exactly this. I wouldn't bother wasting time and staking something out way in advance because inevitably someone will come in at the last minute and block your view anyway.

Personally I think the etiquette should be that all kids should be up on shoulders. It’s more important that they see than adults. The rude person with a kid on his shoulders wouldn’t do that if his kid could see. I don’t know why that is considered the height of rudeness and a 6 foot tall person standing in front of a 5 year old is considered polite just because they got there first. Don’t get me wrong, no kid of mine has ever or will ever be on my or DH’s shoulders during any show. But theoretically speaking I don’t understand the way the etiquette falls. At Universal over the holidays everyone stayed seated during the Mannheim Steamroller concert and it was awesome. The kids could see, everyone was happy. It was great. But even Disney discourages sitting so sitting won’t happen.
I see what you are saying. My guess is that a 6 foot tall guy can't help the fact that he's 6 foot tall. A kid on someone's shoulders becomes taller than an average human could possibly be, and that can be helped. I'm 5'5, so, I think a fairly average height. A tall guy is easier for me to see around than a kid on someone's shoulders is - that's not going to really happen.

Personally I think the etiquette should be that all kids should be up on shoulders. It’s more important that they see than adults.
Yeah, right. As long as their parents are standing in the back...Plenty of kids can't be lifted by their parents (ever tried to put a 12 year-old on your shoulders?) anyway.

Really, if this show is all about projections, then everyone should be told to sit. That's the bottom line, if you'll excuse the pun.

Personally I think the etiquette should be that all kids should be up on shoulders. It’s more important that they see than adults. :duck:

The rude person with a kid on his shoulders wouldn’t do that if his kid could see. I don’t know why that is considered the height of rudeness and a 6 foot tall person standing in front of a 5 year old is considered polite just because they got there first.

Don’t get me wrong, no kid of mine has ever or will ever be on my or DH’s shoulders during any show. But theoretically speaking I don’t understand the way the etiquette falls.

At Universal over the holidays everyone stayed seated during the Mannheim Steamroller concert and it was awesome. The kids could see, everyone was happy. It was great. But even Disney discourages sitting so sitting won’t happen.

The difference is that someone tall standing will be known long before the show starts and people can grab spots accordingly. I'm 6ft tall so I stay standing before a show so those behind me know if they don't want to stand right behind me. My wife is closer to 5ft so we try to grab a spot where she can see.

With a kid on someone's shoulders, they go up right when the show starts so you have no warning..and they take up a lot higher space..so instead of just one or two people behind say a 6ft tall person might have an obstructed view, with a kid on someone's shoulders it can obstruct the view of 30 people in a line that are behind that group. Which I've been in that scenario.

We've staked out a spot with a good line of sight for the castle or other show..then sure enough, 15 ft in front of us a kid goes up on someone's shoulders and then my wife can't see the show. But it's too late to move. Happened just last month with the HS projection show and Star Wars show. Too crammed to move but a kid on someone's shoulders blocked basically the entire view

So for those with small children..I'd recommend getting a close up spot about an hour or so ahead of time, doing the dessert party, or holding the child at head level if possible

OP: I thought they had an area designed for folks in wheelchairs? I know they used to for the afternoon parade at MK. (I do appreciate the concern in general, though - we never go to MK to see the fireworks because I find it so aggravating when the shoulder kids and iPads go up.) Definitely before your next trip ask on the disAbilities area of this forum. HTH.

I like how you worded this, and I agree.

With a kid on someone's shoulders, they go up right when the show starts so you have no warning..

The right-before-the-show-starts changes seem to be a common source of woe, whether that change is CMs having a whole section of contentedly sitting people stand or, as you say, a child going up.

OP, I've been searching for an answer to this question, too. At this point, I'm just interested in the logic behind Disney's no-sitting policy.

In a different thread (from like two minutes ago, ha!) someone mentioned that the reason CMs have everyone stand just before the show starts is because it allows more bodies to fit into the area, and an unintentional side effect is poorer viewing for people who aren't tall.

But there must be another reason - could it be a security issue? A few years ago, a FP+ section was offered for Wishes, and we used it. Everything was lovely, sitting on the turf, yay, beautiful MK moment, oh wait - CM's told everyone to stand even though there weren't more people coming into the reserved FP+ section. Our view (two shorter adults and one child) of the castle was gone (just like magic, poof!).

I think I'll do this! Good, proactive suggestion. Btw, what did they say when they called?

OP, I've been searching for an answer to this question, too. At this point, I'm just interested in the logic behind Disney's no-sitting policy.

The logic behind it is to cram more people into the space.

But a 6 foot tall person who got to the area before a family with a short kid should have priority as long as that tall person was there first. The problem I see is that someone with a child wants to get to the front so his or her child can see better. But is it just the child & one adult? Usually not, the entire family has to be together. Yeah, if you don't want to take the time out of your day to stake out a place to see the show, that's on you. Don't go pushing your way to the front cuz of your kids.

And, btw, before DLR started their Fantasmic Dining Packages, I would stake out a place with my friends 3 hours before the show. We would all sit down, put our blankets or towels down (usually two people per blanket/towel cuz the ground is so hard). Then take turns (one person going to get food, then when that one came back, another would go). We wouldn't leave one person with all the items to hold our spaces.

I think I'll do this! Good, proactive suggestion. Btw, what did they say when they called?

Essentially, this is what I got:

- There are projections up high and even on the side a little bit so those who can't see the low ones aren't left out.
- Can't police a sit down policy so it won't happen.
- She tried to sell me on how great the show is from different perspectives. I told her they've designed a show meant to only be seen from 1 perspective, and you can't even fit everyone in the park in place to see it the way it's meant to be seen. More talking points about seeing it from different places in the park.

I appreciate they took the time to call. I did not expect them to. We had a long conversation going back and forth. She was very polite, as was I. In the end, I don't feel they care whether or not the show is something everyone is able to experience or not.

Last weekend we watched from the area in front of Casey's. Got there about 20 min before HEA started, if that. No problem finding lots of spots to watch from. We had short DD and 10yo DGD with us. They saw great.
I realize this area may not be open much longer, unfortunately. It's always been a favorite place to watch for us

But a 6 foot tall person who got to the area before a family with a short kid should have priority as long as that tall person was there first.
Yes. For sure.

Essentially, this is what I got:

- There are projections up high and even on the side a little bit so those who can't see the low ones aren't left out.
- Can't police a sit down policy so it won't happen.
- She tried to sell me on how great the show is from different perspectives. I told her they've designed a show meant to only be seen from 1 perspective, and you can't even fit everyone in the park in place to see it the way it's meant to be seen. More talking points about seeing it from different places in the park.

I appreciate they took the time to call. I did not expect them to. We had a long conversation going back and forth. She was very polite, as was I. In the end, I don't feel they care whether or not the show is something everyone is able to experience or not.

Wow, thanks for sharing! So interesting. Good for you for speaking up. I'm glad to hear you got a response.

I don't consider seeing OUAT and HEA in its entirety a "right" or anything, but it would be cool if I decided to camp out say, three hours early, I'd be guaranteed to have a view that didn't change at the last minute.

But a 6 foot tall person who got to the area before a family with a short kid should have priority as long as that tall person was there first. The problem I see is that someone with a child wants to get to the front so his or her child can see better. But is it just the child & one adult? Usually not, the entire family has to be together. Yeah, if you don't want to take the time out of your day to stake out a place to see the show, that's on you. Don't go pushing your way to the front cuz of your kids.

I’m not really disagreeing with you as much as playing devils advocate. If someone sits on a bus and a pregnant or elderly person arrives later, the polite thing to do is still to let the pregnant or elderly person have the seat.

People also think that those who don’t have their entire party camp out the entire time are rude too. Most kids are not going to tolerate camping out for a spot for 3 hours. The deck just seems really stacked against kids which doesn’t seem so magical to me.

It’s too big an area to have a kids section like at Crush. I think the best option is to have people sit. But I agree with the pp who said that Disney doesn’t want too many people to have a good view. It drives more demand for the dessert parties.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts