Is the Muppet 3D movie theater closing?

I'm still holding out hope for the Muppets. The Great Muppet Movie ride would have been an instant classic. I don't know why they didn't make it.

Yeah, I know that would have been awesome. I know it's not the same, but they could always make Star Tours into a new Muppet ride. This way we finally get a 2nd attraction in the Muppet area.

Animal could take control of a tour bus and drive around a backlot almost maiming and killing Celebrity Guests and Muppets along the way.

I just don't understand Disney sometimes. They have all of that space in the Muppet’s section and they didn’t put another attraction there. They just kept Streets of America to rot for years, even though they only used it for something like 3 months of the year.

Disney was trying to make Hollywood look like Universal Hollywood. But it turned out to be a massive waste of land though. They also wanted to be a working studio, which is tough in Orlando, Florida. Studios are more likely to film in Canada for cheap.

I have never understood the need to IP an entire land. I think MK does it best by incorporating multiple IP's within a land.

There was a time when I might have felt that way, but after visiting Cars Land and the Harry Potter Lands at Universal I really saw the power of a single IP land. It just takes the immersion into the world to the next level. I don't think that all lands should be like this, but for certain IP's it really works.

I have never understood the need to IP an entire land. I think MK does it best by incorporating multiple IP's within a land.

There was a time when I might have felt that way, but after visiting Cars Land and the Harry Potter Lands at Universal I really saw the power of a single IP land. It just takes the immersion into the world to the next level. I don't think that all lands should be like this, but for certain IP's it really works.

I see you point jkh, but I have to agree with Dan on this one. I think that you can have both types of lands in Disney World. Full immersion single IP's and a Mix bag. The Original parks (Magic and Epcot) are sticking with a mix, but The Latter ones (DHS and Animal) are definitely going with more singles (Star Wars, Toy Story, and future lands)(Pandora and Dinoland).

But lets be honest here. Has anyone ever really felt immersed in a land. HP and Pandora are cool and well themed but its hard to feel "immersed" while crowded in an area with a bunch of people wearing Mickey Ears. I think it easier to keep a land current if you can rip and replace areas of it as needed.

But lets be honest here. Has anyone ever really felt immersed in a land. HP and Pandora are cool and well themed but its hard to feel "immersed" while crowded in an area with a bunch of people wearing Mickey Ears. I think it easier to keep a land current if you can rip and replace areas of it as needed.

I feel totally immersed when I am in Cars Land and the Harry Potter lands. As to your last point, that is why you don't want to throw immersive lands based on every IP, you need ones that will stand the test of time.

I feel totally immersed when I am in Cars Land and the Harry Potter lands. As to your last point, that is why you don't want to throw immersive lands based on every IP, you need ones that will stand the test of time.

Exactly, they have to stick with the lifetime ones. Star Wars has been around since the 70's and is still going strong. They'll probably be making Star Wars movies when I'm long gone... or undead because I plan to become a vampire.

I'm hoping if they do have to replace "the Muppets" with "Monsters Inc" they'll add 2 family rides, and not bring Monsters Laugh Floor over. I think Hollywood has enough shows with Indy, B&B, Frozen and the Little Mermaid.

My wife and I visited DHS in it's early days (DMGM). To give you perspective, they were building ToT, RnRC was but an idea. We grew up watching The Muppet Show and LOVED Muppet Vision. It was our favorite attraction in the park by far. Years later, DCA opens with the same attraction and we basically forced our kids (then 5 and 8) to sit through it - multiple times. They were bored silly. Years go by, next thing you know, DCA closes the attraction (repurpose it, leave it SBNO - same thing). Fast forward to last summer, we are nearing the end of our day in DHS and decide to catch a showing of Muppet Vision. My kids, now 13 and 16 (with younger sister 5) LOVE IT, and can't believe there's even a rumor that it might be taken out. No wonder it seems to be in limbo.

Muppet Vision could definitely use some TLC. The seats are worn, the 3-D effects seem a little out-of-sync (could just be the old technology that has not been updated). Thankfully all of the effects have been kept operational. I would hate to see it go, and would vote all day long to refresh the attraction and give the plaza at least one more attraction. I have no such love for Pizza Rizzos.

Harry Potter and Star Wars Lands I agree with. Monsters and Cars, I'm not so sure. Even with Avatar. What if the next movie is a bomb and the theatrical run is over. What then.

Yea that's the biggest thing for a Monster's land to me. The movie was really popular and has good ability for attractions and lands, but not sure it has the popularity to maintain the appeal of an entire land. The new show could potentially help that but the attractions themselves never seem to be too busy unless the park is crowded. So not sure if they would put the money into its own land if it doens't show better legs. (Though I'm sure the door coaster would be popular if ever done.)

Yea that's the biggest thing for a Monster's land to me. The movie was really popular and has good ability for attractions and lands, but not sure it has the popularity to maintain the appeal of an entire land. The new show could potentially help that but the attractions themselves never seem to be too busy unless the park is crowded. So not sure if they would put the money into its own land if it doens't show better legs. (Though I'm sure the door coaster would be popular if ever done.)

You got to look at the bad attractions Disney has given the Monsters series though. None of the American ones are any good.

One is a retheme of possibly the worst Disney attraction ever (Superstar Limo) and the other is a video show like "Turtle talk with Crush". Give them a decent attraction and the people will come in droves.

Harry Potter and Star Wars Lands I agree with. Monsters and Cars, I'm not so sure. Even with Avatar. What if the next movie is a bomb and the theatrical run is over. What then.

I don't think it will matter that much. Disney actively suppresses all knowledge of Song of the South, yet Splash Mountain is still a very popular ride. Avatar has the added benefit of having very little tie in to the story or characters of the movie, it's just about the environment.

I think as long as Billy Crystal and John Goodman are alive there is possibilities for more sequels. Who doesn't love seeing the world of monsters and Monstropolis.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter