Is the GF too stuffy ?

Tigger73

Mouseketeer
Making plans for a 2003 vacation and was considering staying at GF. There will three children under five years old. Is it stuffy compared to the other Disney resorts or is it that much nicer? My alternative choice is the WL or Contemporary.

It all depends.

I think adults would enjoy it and there are always plenty of thing for children to do because it is Disney. I

I would go with WL but I don't think anyone would be dissappointed. I think WL has a more relaxed feel.

Just MHO

Don't get me wrong, it's not that we don't like GF. Just wanted to share.

The Grand Floridian is a beautiful resort but we didn't think it was "stuffy" at all. Last May we stayed there with our DSs who were 13 and 10 at the time. We all really enjoyed being on the monorail line and the gorgeous view we had from our balcony :)

I agree with you when you say that the WL has a more relaxed feel to it, but I have to say,with all the couches and seating groupings in the lobby of the GF, we were always *very* relaxed there, too.

I think all of the WDW resorts have something special about them. Sometimes its hard to figure out which one to stay at. Have fun making your decision! :)

We love the GF! I'm not sure why people think it's too stuffy??
We have two boy's, 4 and 7, and they love it too! With young kids, the Monorail makes it all the much better and you're only minutes away from the MK!

Which ever you choose, I'm sure you will have a great time.

Tom...

Not stuffy at all, and I have 3 kids too. Stay there, you'll fall in love. We'll be staying there very soon.

We stayed at the GF in May with our 22 month old and it was not stuffy at all. It was very relaxing and beautiful. There are 2 pools your kids would love. We walked from the GF to the Polynesian a couple of times which was very nice. There was music playing in the lobby you would hear when you got off the monorail and entered the main builiding which is a nice touch. The one thing I didn't like was that there always seemed to be those luggage carts/cars always driving in the walkways that you had to move out of the way for. I felt like I was constantly grabbing my daughter off the walkways to get out of the way of the carts.

I also love the Contemporary for it's location and because the monorail runs thru the resort. It's great because you can walk to the Magic Kingdom and beat the monorail crowds after parades/fireworks. You can take a boat to WL or Ft. Wilderness and there is a small playground, a huge arcade and 2 pools. I would choose either of these two resorts. Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks for all the great input.... It seems I really can't make a wrong between the three resorts.

Another vote for the GF not being stuffy. We found everyone to be very nice and helpful. We stayed there in Jan 2002 and our kids were 4 and 7 at the time.

One note on the WL though is that the rooms do not sleep 5 unless one is under 3 and can sleep in a crib, even then it would be tight. They do have deluxe rooms which have a separate sitting and bedroom area that sleep 6.

I love both resorts.

Not stuffy at all for me and my family and we've stayed there twice. CM's were friendly and welcoming. This resort will always be my personal favorite.

Debbie

I don't think it is too stuffy, frilly maybe but not stuffy-
DR

We stayed there this past October and are kids were 6 and 16 months. They loved it. Not stuffy at all. Just regular folks. My kids especially loved the pool area with the water fall and slide. We also had a balcony view of the monorail which was the kids favorite.

If you go with the question in your mind whether it will be too stuffy for you, it will. I never thought the GF was too stuffy until I got it in my head that maybe it was and I just didn't realize it. When I next visited it there for lunch, I started thinking that maybe I didn't fit in. NONSENSE! It is a beautiful place for everyone who has a taste for the victorian.

GF is definitely not too stuffy. Many people save and save all year in order to stay there, with it's gorgeous victorian theming, proximity to MK, view of the castle, good restaurants, etc. I love this resort, and have stayed at many. I have the most fond memories of staying there. I have had at least six trips since my last stay at GF, and look forward to having the opportunity to return there.

I had a toddler when I stayed there last. It was perfect for her. Not overstimulating, but lots of room to walk around, watch the monorail, sit in the lobby and listen to music, take the boat to MK.

This is a great place for little ones. I would return there in a heartbeat, as soon as I get a really, really good rate. You will not be disappointed. Especially that you have young ones, for whom the days can be very long and tiring. The GF offers a nice, quiet retreat for families who like to just take it easy and return to the resort for a rest.

NOT AT ALL !!

we have 3 kids- 5-3-1 and they love it. no probs at all, the place is relaxing and not stuffy at all. close to everything and the people know what theyre doing

we're back there for 2 weeks in january

SEPT 98 GF
SEPT 99 GF
AUG 99 YC
SEPT 00 BC
SEPT 12TH 01 YC
SEPT 20TH 01 POLY
MARCH 02 WL
JAN 03 GF

NOT AT ALL !!

we have 3 kids- 5-3-1 and they love it. no probs at all, the place is relaxing and not stuffy at all. close to everything and the people know what theyre doing

SEPT 98 GF
SEPT 99 GF
AUG 99 YC
SEPT 00 BC
SEPT 12TH 01 YC
SEPT 20TH 01 POLY
MARCH 02 WL
JAN 03 GF

NOT AT ALL !!

SEPT 98 GF
SEPT 99 GF
AUG 99 YC
SEPT 00 BC
SEPT 12TH 01 YC
SEPT 20TH 01 POLY
MARCH 02 WL
JAN 03 GF

NOT AT ALL !!

SEPT 98 GF
SEPT 99 GF
AUG 99 YC
SEPT 00 BC
SEPT 12TH 01 YC
SEPT 20TH 01 POLY
MARCH 02 WL
JAN 03 GF

Originally posted by Tigger73
Making plans for a 2003 vacation and was considering staying at GF. There will three children under five years old. Is it stuffy compared to the other Disney resorts or is it that much nicer? My alternative choice is the WL or Contemporary.

Oh no, it's not too stuffy at all! I've been staying there with my son since he was 3 or 4 .. have taken nieces, friends, etc. there as children, and never felt uncomfortable, out of place, nothing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter