Is the Fort closing in 2 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

normmo

DIS Veteran
We have friends who are just back from 2 months in Orlando. They are adamant that the Fort will close in 2 years and a hotel will be built. They said that their daughter who lives in Orlando has heard this and cast members are talking about it. Doesn't make sense to me but wanted to verify that this rumour is not true. Anyone able to confirm or deny?

How can they be so sure when all they have is a rumor from their DD that lives in the area who has "heard" CM's talking about it?
I'd say its not very likely.
There's plenty of land that they could build another hotel somewhere else.
I mean come on they don't even get rid of things that are no longer in use so why would they close something in use to make another hotel?

I can't see that ever happening. There is no friendlier easy going family resort on the property. I can definitely see the potential for a mixed themed of Wildeness lodge and Fort Wilderness DVC resort on the property, however not a complete removal. I also don't believe Disney has ever closed a resort and your talking about one of the original three.

Nope.

They are most likely referring to the potential Fort expansion with a DVC wing added on in the current location of Mickey's Backyard BBQ. It picks up steam every year or so, but hardly new news. The potential plans have surfaced a few times.

I was told by multiple CMs that Indiana Jones was closing just before my trip in 2014. They said while I was there it would close in 3 months. That was 3 years ago. Still going strong.

Point is, just like anything else, your NOT going to get a confirm until WDW gives a confirm.

They are most likely referring to the potential Fort expansion with a DVC wing added on in the current location of Mickey's Backyard BBQ. It picks up steam every year or so, but hardly new news. The potential plans have surfaced a few times.
That makes sense - thank you!

That makes sense - thank you!
No problem. FW is a big seller for Disney. This is evidenced by how difficult it is to get open sites for last minute stays and why you have to book sites 1 year + in advance. Up until recently it was the only way to be able to have your pets on vacation with you. We'll see how the new resort pet policy holds up. Lots of people only vacation in their RVs or tents and Disney is probably not interested in losing those guests.

Also, to close, clear out the sites and build an entire new resort is spending a lot of money when they can continue to make money on what they already have in place and could just expand it.

I can't see that ever happening. There is no friendlier easy going family resort on the property. I can definitely see the potential for a mixed themed of Wildeness lodge and Fort Wilderness DVC resort on the property, however not a complete removal. I also don't believe Disney has ever closed a resort and your talking about one of the original three.
Little Joe MK opened in Sept 71 FW opened one month later. Disney knows that The Fort has the most loyal following and has the highest number of returning guests

I would chain myself up to the porch at Pioneer Hall if they tried to tear down the fort.

This makes me sad to even think about the possibility of doing away with my beloved Fort Wilderness.

Little Joe MK opened in Sept 71 FW opened one month later. Disney knows that The Fort has the most loyal following and has the highest number of returning guests

Our first trip there was a little later in 1973. We have been way too many times to even think about counting them. Would have no plans to return to Disney without FW, as we will not stay off site. We 'grew' with FW - it started off relatively small. We have never stayed in a Disney hotel.

the Fort will close in 2 years and a hotel will be built. They said that their daughter who lives in Orlando has heard this and cast members are talking about it.

1) This definitely is an active rumor . . . but, just a rumor at this time.
2) Only LamontCranston knows for sure.
3) However, it does have some merit.
. . . campsites and roads take a lot of room, and only one group can pay "rent" per site per night
. . . a hotel can put several rooms in the same space, and go vertical for more revenue
. . . if they build a DVC, they can pre-sell the space and make their FULL profit in 2-3 years, instead of 30-40 years
. . . then, year after year they make profit on the "maintenance" fees

NOTE: I would personally hate to see The Fort close. It is a special place with a totally different clientele than the other resorts. Plus, it was one of Walt's first DEMANDS, in order to have a place where traveling families could camp and stay together.

Last edited:
I hope Walt let it be known how important the Fort was to him...Just like the no alcohol at MK (except that one glass of wine at Be our Guest come dinner time, it's held it's ground)

It saddens me to even think that it might close someday. I suppose the only way we will ever find out will be when the calendar quits allowing you to look for dates.

I think camping at WDW has seen its day. I'd love another deluxe resort with club level.

Well the deluxe resorts have had so much trouble filling rooms that they've given many rooms back to DVC over the years. Thus there haven't been new deluxe resorts with club level. The Fort doesn't have a problem with occupancy rate.

It's very possible that the long planned DVC back behind Pioneer Hall could be moving up the DVC planning ladder. Right now DVC is working the Caribbean Resort area (which gave back rooms) but the queue for the next DVC project is never empty. There is always "next one up". Would the next project be another moderate DVC build (like at Coronado Springs) or behind the Fort?

Bama Ed

L&L Fan,

Deluxe club levels have been losing money for Disney for years now. Exactly why you don't see any on the planning list. The Fort fills up greater than a year in advance in some cases, showing its interest plenty.

This supposed rumor of closing is another example of 3rd, 4th, and even 12th hand knowledge.

In other words: Heard it from my brothers, cousins, nieces, grandmother's, twice removed uncles, former tax accountant who claims to of heard it from a dude who was working a circus that stopped for one night in Orlando.

The rumor HAS ALWAYS been the DVC expansion because they actually pay themselves off instead of losing money.

Last edited:
Anybody here wish to invite L&Lfan aboard their $2,500,000.00 Prevost for a tour of their simple little camper???? :duck:
:D
I had a similar conversation with someone at work trying to convince me DVC was the only way to go. Somehow the conversation went to those "cheap" campground sites for people that can't afford DVC. I asked them if they have 6 figures wrapped up in their DVC and if they can use it every weekend. When they didn't answer, I said "Do the math and then tell me people at the campground can't afford DVC". We just choose to spend our money differently.

That shut them up.

As for the OP. I think it has been addressed, but this is just another rumor from the uninformed.

And while I'm on a rant.
Not into camping, madam. I stay deluxe club level, so it really doesn't affect me.
Why are you even on the Camping Forum? Or did this pop up on your "New Topics" feed and you felt the need to tell everyone interested in the future of the campground that you always stay club level? :yo-yo:

j

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter