Is the end coming for the Chase Disney Visa?

It was Bank One. If you signed up at the launch of the card you got, "Member since Day 1" in place of the open date. Kinda neat.

Well, I saw a Disney Careers job posting recently for "Disney Rewards Credit Card Marketing Manager" so I assume the credit card will continue even if Chase stops being the bank associated with it.

There was a promotion to activate recently to get 4% back for paying utilities with it, which I immediately pay off. There are the Meet & Greets and the 10% off purchases over $50 at the Disney Store and which has already been mentioned, that discount also extends to most of the merchandise shops within WDW. A couple of additional perks- you also get a 10% discount at several TS restaurants at WDW (and discounts on tours, recreation, and spa services. I don't use mine a ton, just for paying utilities and making some Disney spending money that way, but we did end up saving a little bit also with the discounts while on vacation.

I'm a day one member.

Me too! When I was booking a sleigh ride at FW and gave the CM my card number, she noticed the sequence and made a comment that you don't see many of those - she commented how I must be a real fan! Hahaha

I always like to remind everyone that reward perks are all "relative"...

...as in order to get perks, you have to blow tremendous amounts of money.

"Going broke saving money"

I mean, I get what you're saying, but not necessarily.

We use our Disney Premiere Card for everything, no matter how big or small a purchase. It's money we would be spending regardless. Gotta buy groceries, gotta pay the internet bill, etc.

We aren't the type of people to get suckered into "If you spend $20 more dollars you'll be able to get 10% off your total purchase" at the Disney Store either. I think that falls into the whole "going broke saving money" mentality.

And while that is a perk of the card, it's not the only perk.

We know we could be getting more back using other cards, but we already have this card...we don't want multiple cards.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but not necessarily.

We use our Disney Premiere Card for everything, no matter how big or small a purchase. It's money we would be spending regardless. Gotta buy groceries, gotta pay the internet bill, etc.

We aren't the type of people to get suckered into "If you spend $20 more dollars you'll be able to get 10% off your total purchase" at the Disney Store either. I think that falls into the whole "going broke saving money" mentality.

And while that is a perk of the card, it's not the only perk.

We know we could be getting more back using other cards, but we already have this card...we don't want multiple cards.

Same here! And we had almost $1000 in Disney Rewards that we used on our Disneyland trip a couple of months ago. We always have at least $700 in Disney Rewards on our annual summer trips.

Is this card even worth the trouble? I got it about a year and a half ago, and didn't expect it to provide huge discounts, but can't really see any benefit out of it besides the initial gift card.

Is this card even worth the trouble? I got it about a year and a half ago, and didn't expect it to provide huge discounts, but can't really see any benefit out of it besides the initial gift card.

Card-only character meet and greets and some in-park discounts as well. Whether it's "worth it" is subjective, but we've gotten some pretty good use out of it. As others have said, other cards offer better generic savings. And no card is worth it without discipline.

I think it really depends on how and how much you use credit cards in general. Is it the best rewards card out there? No. But for our family, it works great. We've had the card *almost* since Day 1 -- I think we got it within about 6 months of it being issued. We charge *everything* to the card (as we did to a Toys 'R Us card prior to getting the Disney Visa). We pay our balance off every month so there is no paying of interest that offsets the rewards dollar benefit. A year or so ago, we changed from the free Disney Visa the Disney Premier Visa so there is a $50 yearly fee (though that got waived the first year). We did some detailed calculations and realized that even with the $50 yearly fee, we earn more than $100 more a year in rewards with this card over the free one because of the 2% rewards for groceries, gas, and restaurants (the major portion of our charges each month). Right now, I have about $1200 in rewards dollars that we've accumulated since last July. Our next trip isn't until June/July 2018 so by the time I have to be paid in full for that trip, I will have accumulated over $2000 in "free" money without really doing anything. About 2 weeks before our PIF date, I'll transfer the rewards dollars to a rewards card. I'll give my travel agent the card number and she'll apply the money towards our balance due. And the rest of the balance will be charged to our Disney Visa to start accruing rewards again for the next trip.

Our family likes to travel to Disney every 2 years (occasionally every year) so this reward card focuses our "free" money towards those trips. We don't travel by air, so an airline rewards card isn't very useful for us. We could get a cash-back card, but we like the few "extra" Disney-focused perks from the Disney Visa -- store discounts, Broadway show discounts, exclusive photo ops, etc. And last week I got an e-mail from Disney Visa offering me the opportunity to do a 20 minute DVC phone tour for a $40 gift card. I've done that one before and my phone call was only 7 minutes long. I'm willing to sit on the phone with a Disney CM for 20 minutes for a $40 gift card. :) ) I know the 6 months free financing on Disney Resort vacations is a big perk for some people, but that's not something we've ever used or ever plan on using. And then there's the character pictures on the cards...my husband gets a lot of comments on his Darth Vader card....it's good for his ego. :D

We do also have the Chase Freedom card and use that for whatever the 5% bonus categories are for the quarter. I take the cash back option and also apply that to our Disney trips. We usually end up with a few hundred dollars in rewards from this card to put towards our Disney trips.

For us, the Disney Visa card is a good fit. But I can see how it's not the best choice for a lot of people.

ANY card perks on ANY card are not worth it unless you pay off your balance every month.
That being said, we have the base Disney card and like the perks! If you use it for the variety of Disney items it can be far more valuable than other cards.

Here are perks for the regular card off the website:

Cool Disney and Star Wars cards
$50 statement credit
1% cash back on all purchases
2% cash back on grocery and gas stations

0% apr on Disney vacation and special financing on DVC
Special promotion on Disneyland vacation packages this year

At Walt Disney World:
Special STAR WARS Character Meet and Greet
Special Disney Character Meet and Greet
10% discount on merchandise in the parks and at the Disney Store
10% off select dining
Discount at certain coffee, tea, merchandise locations
15% off select guided tours
10% off select recreation experiences
15% off select spa and salon locations

Also similar perks at Disneyland and on Cruises. AND the premiere card has higher percentages and more perks!!!

Last edited:
ANY card perks on ANY card are not worth it unless you pay off your balance every month.
That being said, we have the base Disney card and like the perks! If you use it for the variety of Disney items it can be far more valuable than other cards.

Here are perks for the regular card off the website:

Cool Disney and Star Wars cards
$50 statement credit
1% cash back on all purchases
2% cash back on grocery and gas stations

0% apr on Disney vacation and special financing on DVC
Special promotion on Disneyland vacation packages this year

At Walt Disney World:
Special Character Meet and Greet
Special Disney Character Meet and Greet
10% discount on merchandise in the parks and at the Disney Store
10% off select dining
Discount at certain coffee, tea, merchandise locations
15% off select guided tours
10% off select recreation experiences
15% off select spa and salon locations

Also similar perks at Disneyland and on Cruises. AND the premiere card has higher percentages and more perks!!!

Is that from the Chase website? I'm having trouble finding anywhere that the free card gets a $50 statement credit and earns 2% on grocery and gas stations. Everything I'm reading at Chase.com says the free card can earn a $200 Disney gift card after $500 in purchases and it earns 1% on all purchases. I'm just trying to figure out if this is a special promotion that for some reason I can't find. I know if you switch from the free card to the Premier card you get a $50 statement credit the first year and earn 2% on gas, groceries, and restaurant purchases.

Disney needs to just make their own loyalty program..add a partner like chase UR or MR then we can talk about co branded cards

We only use ours for the free photo at EPCOT, when the line isn't long. I also recently learned about the 10% discount at Disney Store. When the card first debuted 15 years ago it seemed to have had slightly better perks, but not much.
We also use ours only for the photo ops, which are very limited now.

Is that from the Chase website? I'm having trouble finding anywhere that the free card gets a $50 statement credit and earns 2% on grocery and gas stations. Everything I'm reading at Chase.com says the free card can earn a $200 Disney gift card after $500 in purchases and it earns 1% on all purchases. I'm just trying to figure out if this is a special promotion that for some reason I can't find. I know if you switch from the free card to the Premier card you get a $50 statement credit the first year and earn 2% on gas, groceries, and restaurant purchases.

The base card only gets 1% on all things. Premier gets 2% on categories listed above, $49 Annual Fee. Sign up bonus for the standard card is either a $200 gift card (targeted) or $50 gift card (standard) after first spend, no minimum amount. For premier the sign up bonus is typically a $150 bill credit with $300 or $500 minimum spend within 30 days (can't recall total minimum spend off the top of my head).

Neither count towards chase's 5 cards in 24 months rule.

Disney needs to just make their own loyalty program..add a partner like chase UR or MR then we can talk about co branded cards

That would likely put it into 5/24. Not necessarily the worst thing but I agree they need their own loyalty program. I feel the only reason they haven't is because they didn't need to. Perhaps this could be a bone to throw toward many repeat visitors, but they'd probably be upset their prior stays did not count.

It was called the Magic Kingdom Club, nixed in 2001.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!