Is the airport a sketchy place to get an Uber/Lyft from when going to Universal?

Stitchless

Mouseketeer
I know Orlando has a crazy level high crime rate, stories that appear on local news only would make national news here in Canada, so I'm wondering how risky is it to get into a car here?

I know Orlando has a crazy level high crime rate, stories that appear on local news only would make national news here in Canada, so I'm wondering how risky is it to get into a car here?
No, it is fine. Just use normal precaution, check the driver and car license plate to make sure you are getting in the car you ordered. I use Lyft when in Orlando as a solo female traveler without worry.

My husband used Uber from Royal Pacific to MCO to pick up our rental car. It’s fine. I saw nothing concerning on our trip from MCO to the resort on arrival either.

It’s no different from any US airport - however, I almost always use taxis rather than ride share when leaving an airport. It’s just easier. By the time you order an Uber and find the pick up spot and wait for them to arrive you could have hopped into a waiting taxi.

I know Orlando has a crazy level high crime rate

I would say its on par with any major city, not particularly bad like some other cities (i.e. Chicago). Orlando is a major tourist destination, so the airport is pretty safe and Uber/Lyft are constantly used there. I would have no qualms about using it there. I agree with PPs that its always best to take the rideshare precautions, such as validating the driver/license plate when they arrive, checking their rating, etc.

My daughter lived in Orlando for several years and used Uber frequently without issues. We now use Uber instead of renting a car when we go to Universal since we stay on property most of the time. The airport has a specific spot for Uber/Lyft pickups and there are usually other people around doing the same thing. Just check the license plate before you hop in. The majority of the drivers I've used in Orlando have been very nice.

I've used uber for the past several visits, with my kid(s). I confirm I'm getting into the right car and I share my ride with DH on the app, as well as call him to let him know we are en route. I feel safe, myself. Once I was getting in to MCO late and decided to book a private car in advance, but that was really so I could be met at baggage claim and leave immediately.

I ubered around the Universal area with no trouble. Even got one with a car seat for the kiddo 👍

We did nothing by lyft a week ago. Several places outside of universal, to/fromto the airport, around Disney and was great. Saved a TON of money not having a car.

It’s no different from any US airport - however, I almost always use taxis rather than ride share when leaving an airport. It’s just easier. By the time you order an Uber and find the pick up spot and wait for them to arrive you could have hopped into a waiting taxi.

Really? I've never waited more than a minute for an Uber at an airport and they are generally way cheaper (and better drivers in my experience).

Really? I've never waited more than a minute for an Uber at an airport and they are generally way cheaper (and better drivers in my experience).

It’s not a huge difference but many airports have restrictions on where they can pick up so there can be minute or two to figure that out. Then the normal waiting and figuring who the driver is etc. Personally I think it’s easier to follow the sign for the taxi stand and hop in and go if the line isn’t too long. Sometimes I’ll also take a taxi from larger hotels where bell service can just wave one over.

Basically if there are taxis sitting there waiting for riders I think it’s easier. Otherwise I Uber. Whatever is most convenient at the time. The cost usually isn’t different enough to make a difference for me.

It's been a long time since I took a taxi to Universal, but it was like $50 back then. That's a lot more to me than Lyft, like double.

I guess the price depends on the time of day. I looked at the price past 11pm and all the prices look similar- around $50

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!