Is SUV needed for desert?

calena

<font color=red>BL II - Red Team<br> <font color=g
We are flying into Las Vegas... driving to LA for beach wedding (Newport Beach) then driving back to Vegas want to do some national parks, Red Rock Canyon etc. while we are out West. Do we need to rent an SUV or will a fullsize car do? We live in Canada and drive an SUV in the winter because of snow etc. Just not sure of the desert stuff and long hauls around. What do you think? Thanks Deb

Unless you want to go 4-wheeling, you do not need a SUV. We have taken a Cosica, Accord, minivan and Sonata through the canyons and even did some 4-wheeling in those cars. As long as it has air conditioning you will be fine.

Any car will do, we only use an SUV b/c of the size. SOmething large enuf for the kids & the luggage.
Cars are better just b/c of gas mileage. :)

We just had our wedding in Huntington Beach (next door to NB) - you'll have a blast!! :thumbsup2

An SUV will be a waste of your tourist dollars. Stick with an economy compact SUV like a Ford Escape or even a Toyota RAV4.

You did not mention what time of year you will be travelling. Be aware in the summer months, the Mojave Desert is subject to flash flooding. Sometimes it could be torrential rains to just a sprinkling. Normally, you get only thunderstorms and nothing else.

At Red rock, you will not need an SUV all you need is a good reliable car.

calena said:
. . . Do we need to rent an SUV . . .

Only if you are going off road or want to support the oil industry.

Woody

woody73 said:
Only if you are going off road or want to support the oil industry.

Woody

I know I drive a Golf Diesel! Love it. :thumbsup2 DH has the SUV and it just guzzles the gas. I think we are going to go for a full size car at this point. Spend the extra cash on other stuff.
Deb

Have you thought about Death Valley National Park? It is very unique and beautiful. Furnace Creek is a little outpost there that is alot of fun. It also has a great visitor center, things to walk around and look at, and a hotel if you want to stay there. We always camp in the campground, bring our bikes and ride all around. You can drive around and sight see all the weird things or hike, which the rangers at the visitor center are more that happy to help with. At night there is a little film show about the area at the visitor's center also. One time when we were there, they had huge telescopes set up to look through. There is even a pool that they let campers use too, for a small fee. I'm not sure what the weather is like in late October, but it should be cooling down. PS. Red Rock Canyon is beautiful, but not alot there and pretty primitive. Anyways, have fun! :tinker:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter