Is Space Mountain still a rough/jerky ride?

I rode it two years ago for the first time since I was a kid. Hurt my back, neck, and side. Unless there's some kind of major overhaul, never again.

I like the jerkiness, makes it fun for me - but can see why many others would want to avoid it. The ride has 2 connected cars of 3, where we ask to ride in the back of the back, so that it jerks us around a bit more. I always try to go the restroom before waiting for the ride because of the sudden vertical jerks.

We recently got to try out Hyperspace Mt. and Space Mt. in Hong Kong and Tokyo and interestingly, esp. Hong Kong version is much less jerky.

Compared to Primeval Whirl, it is like floating on cotton ! Like others have said, it can be jerky and the taller you are, the worse it is. Being 6'7", my son has a hard time even fitting in any of the cars, tends to look for a spot in the last of the 3 seats.

I love coasters, I love the thrill, speed and especially the screams of others whilr riding it with a big smile. I also like old coasters - partly because of nostalgic feelings - but SM I hardly can tolerate, far to jerky and hard to fit in the seats. As much as I love original rides, I would like an komplette overhaul such as in DLP.

I guess I'm surprised with how bad some people think it is. It's no worse than the other coasters I feel like.

Compared to most metal rollercoasters, it is very rough.
It really needs a complete rehab.
Its still fun and we ride it every time we go, but only once.

Not being a typical roller coaster ride but rather a Wild Mouse type ride and that the abrupt turns and quick dips are the essence of that type of ride, I would not expect those to be lessened in the future.

Very jerky. It kills me more than any other one at WDW. I hate Everest because it makes me want to puke every time I ride it, but the feeling of needing to throw up leaves me a lot quicker than the Space Mountain whiplash. I'm too old for that crap :-)

Yes. I still enjoy it but literally hold my neck with one hand the entire ride. 😂

I would say yes it is... its definitely less in the front but there are still plenty of jerking action.

Yes! we love it! Thats what gives it soul. Its not as jerky as the Matterhorn at DL but just different. We love the matterhorn, just a classic like SM.
Now, DL space is very smooth, completely different ride.

I wish they would change the ride vehicles on the WDW version to the same as DL.. those are SO much better! WDW version reminds me of the Matterhorn vehicles and that ride I can't do anymore.. I also wish they would change the Splash Mtn. log at DL to match the one at WDW

DL and DLP have a completely different ride system and they are much smoother! WDW still causes all of us to scream during the ride..."OW...(grunting)...OUCH...OOOHHH....(more grunting)." As we exit, it's usually, "My spleen!" LOL. But, we keep coming back for more.

I love Space Mountain, but I always ask to sit in the front. That smooths it out a bit. I'm a 57 year old woman who won't give up my coasters!

Not being a typical roller coaster ride but rather a Wild Mouse type ride and that the abrupt turns and quick dips are the essence of that type of ride, I would not expect those to be lessened in the future.
The change in acceleration is the jerk (third derivative of motion) and engineers always try to reduce jerk. It is especially bad in dark rides when passengers are not able to tense muscles appropriately and so are especially vulnerable to whiplash type injuries.

Jerk is bad for passengers and also equipment and so minimized by engineers that provide a smooth transition on roller coasters between sections that would result in high jerk. This is considered best engineering practice for roller coasters.

I don’t see any benefit to high jerk in a roller coaster and in fact that is one portion of motion that typically can result in injuries (high values of acceleration are strictly controlled). I am relatively tall and tall people have more spinal stresses to deal with than short riders from jerk on a roller coaster ride. My spine does suffer when I ride on SM and noticeable discomfort for hours afterward. My short six year old daughters do not have high spinal stresses and suffer no discomfort.

Last edited:
Agreeing with others, it's jerky. So jerky in fact, I had benign paroxysmal positional vertigo after riding it. It was my last ride of our trip, and when I got home I had to see my ENT because the dizziness was so bad. I spent six weeks doing special eye therapy to fix it but it did not help. What *did* help though, was our next trip and our first ride of the trip, Spaceship Earth. The carts tipped back at just the right angle that everything aligned to normal!

We have a trip coming up again soon but I think I'll be passing on Space Mountain from now on. It was fun to do it at the time for nostalgia but I don't want to risk all of that dizziness again.

Agreeing with others, it's jerky. So jerky in fact, I had benign paroxysmal positional vertigo after riding it. It was my last ride of our trip, and when I got home I had to see my ENT because the dizziness was so bad. I spent six weeks doing special eye therapy to fix it but it did not help. What *did* help though, was our next trip and our first ride of the trip, Spaceship Earth. The carts tipped back at just the right angle that everything aligned to normal!

We have a trip coming up again soon but I think I'll be passing on Space Mountain from now on. It was fun to do it at the time for nostalgia but I don't want to risk all of that dizziness again.
I like the idea of Spaceship Earth as physical therapy. I feel the same when the doom buggy goes backwards on Haunted Mansion. My back and neck often get sore from SM and Expedition. I wish Disney Spa services were more reasonable in price. A massage would really help mid trip. The hot tubs help too.

I like the idea of Spaceship Earth as physical therapy. I feel the same when the doom buggy goes backwards on Haunted Mansion.

Since the whole trip is mental/emotional therapy for me, there might as well be some physical therapy thrown in. My last day will be a half day at EPCOT. I'll make sure I ride SE last so my back/neck feel great for the flights back to MI. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter