Is Space Mountain still a rough/jerky ride?

Just went to WDW a few weeks ago. It did seem this time that Space Mountain was jerkier than usual. I did not enjoy the ride as much as I had in the past and felt like I just had to "get through it". We also took trips this past November and last January and it seemed to me that it was not as jerky then. I suspect that I rode in the front car more often in our earlier trips since there were only 2 of us and my son always lets me go in front of him so this may be the difference. Pretty sure I was mostly in the back car this past trip. Not sure I want to ride it again.

I'm glad I read through this. 3 years ago, I swore I was too old and would never ride it again. We're going again this summer and I was trying to convince myself it wouldn't be as bad as I remembered. I just hate to miss the experience with my 20 year old, but I guess she is on her own.

we were there on Thanksgiving/early Dec. and the lighting was such that you could see the coaster well enough to see all of the turns well enough to anticipate which way the ride was going to jerk you. When we were locals and going on Space a lot, I used to have each turn and drop memorized, from both launch sites, which also helped in allowing you to lean the right direction. WDW Space Mt. is one of my favorite attractions, but sometimes I'm surprised there aren't more hernia (the buckle upward) or other injuries. Usually the qtly injury report has cases of dizziness. I think the most recent one may have had someone falling trying to get on/off.

Having tried Hyperspace Mt in Hong Kong and the Space at Tokyo (I can't recall the DL version), I think WDW version is more jerky/feels more thrilling, which for me, personally, is more fun. Idk if really correct, but I sometimes request back of the 2nd car for more jerkiness. For people with medical conditions, it's one to heed the warnings. Although not fast by roller coaster standards, at about 29 mph, that inertia pulling/sudden sharp turns and drops makes it more intense for me than most of the other WDW thrill rides. And we always make sure to go potty before entering the ride!

I haven't been on Space Mountain since our 2014 trip. It was so rough no one in our group enjoyed it, so we skipped it our last trip. However, I really want to try it again if if has gotten better. If it's the same, I won't bother, since I'm sure I can find something else to do. 😉
It all depends what seat you have. Some are worse than others. I find the fronts 1 and 4 ok with 2 okay. 3, 5 and 6 can be rough.

I think the left track is worse than the right- we enjoy the right track more

We rode it twice back to back in December, once on each side, and I noticed a definite difference between the sides too. The right one (as you are facing the ride, so heading left where they split the line) was definitely much smoother and actually tolerable, although I do not recall which position I was seated in so it is possible that made some of the difference.

I love Space Mountain but I can't ride it anymore, as I have neck issues. Expedition Everest and RnRC both give me a bit of pain but not enough that I'll skip them, as I love both rides. Nothing else at any of the parks gives me any problems.

I didn`t find it rough on our October trip, although my brother did. And my 60-year old aunt loved it! So YMMV.

The roughest ride at Disney. Reminds me of the wooden coasters from back in the day. I think it's the worst thrill ride Disney has.

This thread caught my eye - just returned from a trip this weekend and after we went on SM, my teenager said "I think I'm over that ride, it's too rough." and I said to her "Really? I only ride it because of you!" So we had a laugh about that. I do think the side they use for FP seems smoother, but I don't know why that would be. It's always a ride I need to brace myself for and remind myself that it really isn't going all that fast and then I have fun. When the kids aren't with us, I usually skip it. Well, and knowing how my teen feels about it, I'll get a FP for something else from now on! 😅

I'm 6'2 and a few weeks ago sat in the back of the last car. At one point the whiplash motion cracked my back like a chiropractic adjustment, which I can't say I've ever experienced on a rollercoaster before.

10/10 - would do again!

My body won't tolerate the matterhorn, but space mountain in florida is fine. I have a harder time on expedition everest, when riding in reverse, I always seem to bang my head.
I do think there are enough cues to focus on in the dark of space mountain so that the misdirection doesn't get you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter