Is Sony The Best Brand?

sweetpeakaris

DIS Veteran
I was always told that Sony had good quality in everything they made. I'm looknig to get a new camera, I have a Sony digital Camcorder, I love it, but it does'nt take nice sharp photos, works well as a camcorder. So, i'm looking for just a camera to meet my needs. I'm looking for a 5 or higher pixel, a short delay between pics, and just nice quality, I am looking to spending about $500 or less. What brands are good besides Sony? Have no clue on where to start looking, all I really know about is Sony, lol. Please help! Thanks!

The majority of Sony stuff is good quality and reliable, and in a lot of cases can be the best on the market for a particular product type.

When it comes to still digital cameras, Sony make very capable products, but not necessarily the best. I wouldn't blinker yourself with just one manufacturers product without at least checking on the competition.
I suggest reading some reviews on different makes and models to see which match your budget and needs, then go to a camera shop and try them out to see how they feel in your hand, how the menus work, the shutter lag, the focussing speed and precision, type and cost of memory cards supported, battery type and life etc.

Check out the reviews on the sites below, you can compare models against each other on most of the sites:

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.dcviews.com/cameras.htm

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/d/Digital-Camera-Reviews.htm

sweetpeakaris said:
I'm looking for a 5 or higher pixel, a short delay between pics, and just nice quality, I am looking to spending about $500 or less. What brands are good besides Sony?

Sony does make some very good Digicams, not always considered the best value but good cameras. Canon, Oly, nikon, Minolta, casio, pentax and many others also make some good models.

What is most important to you?
camera size
Optical zoom
Image size
price
media type used
speed
image stabilization
features(video)
slr(like) settings

That will help us narrow down your search. But remember just because I think Dodge rules, does not mean that Ford and Chevy fans will agree. So when someone posts that their FUJI digicam is the BEST camera in the world, you will have others that do not agree.

Me I purchased at Canon G6 for the wife, it does fit the little criteria you have given so far :teeth:

Take a look at the Sony H1 (at the top of your price brand).

Pics are good. Looooooong zoom with image stablization (really helps with low light pics using the long zoom).

like everything else on this planet, cameras have pros and cons,, you need to think about how you will use your camera, then do a bit of research and buy the camera that fits your style of pic-taking. as long as you get a name brand camera your pics will be just fine. what makes a good pic is not the camera, its the composition and mostly just being at the right place at the right time. if your great compostion /shot comes out a bit over/under exposed or needs a bit of cropping, well just use your software that came with your camera and fix it. also buy a basic photo book ( PHOTOGRAPHY FOR DUMMIES comes to mind ) and read it, or take a basic class at a local school or whatever. my library has these classes at least 3 times a year. photography is about making memories and having fun ,, it is a hobby,, nothing to get stressed about.

I like Sony for electronics, but for digital cameras I have had excellent success with Fuji.

Sony's are good, but so are other brands. Just bought a Kodak Easy Share P850 for 457.00 at Sam's Club and I couldn't be happier! It has 5.1 MPs, 12x optical zoom, 4x digi (which I don't recommend using BTW), a lightweight battery, pop-up flash, 32MB internal memory plus a SD card slot, and also it takes videos with sound! I LOVE it and feel I couldn't have better spent the money on a point and shoot camera!

Wishing on a star said:
Yes, definately take a look at the Sony H1...

You know, I have, and as of right now, I think that may be the camera for us. Thanks for recommending it :flower:

sweetpeakaris said:
You know, I have, and as of right now, I think that may be the camera for us. Thanks for recommending it :flower:
From http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/sony_h1.html :

"If you're looking for a light-weight, stylish, moderately-priced digicam that is versatile enough to handle most family events while getting you close to sports action or wildlife, the SONY Cyber-shot H1 should be high on your list. You should also consider the Canon PowerShot S2 IS. Both cameras carry similar specifications and are capable of delivering high-quality images. The S2 IS advantages include better Continuous AF tracking of moving subjects, industry-leading movie mode, articulating LCD monitor, faster shutter speeds, greater playback magnification, and greater continuous shooting speed and buffer depth. On the other hand, the H1 provides better indoor flash and AF-assist performance, a larger LCD monitor, lower image noise at high ISO settings, shorter shutter lag and faster AF performance."

Pick your poison

sweetpeakaris said:
I was always told that Sony had good quality in everything they made. I'm looknig to get a new camera, I have a Sony digital Camcorder, I love it, but it does'nt take nice sharp photos, works well as a camcorder. So, i'm looking for just a camera to meet my needs. I'm looking for a 5 or higher pixel, a short delay between pics, and just nice quality, I am looking to spending about $500 or less. What brands are good besides Sony? Have no clue on where to start looking, all I really know about is Sony, lol. Please help! Thanks!
For the record some Sony cameras are excellent. Sony has also made some cameras that are horrible. And there are plenty in between. As with all the camera manufacturers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter