Is Pocahontas a princess?

Is Pocahontas a princess?

• Total voters

sszeri

Earning My Ears
Dear people! My two friends are arguing if Pocahontas is a Disney princess. Could you please solve this argument which started in 2013? I think soon it might get physical :p Thank you in advance! P.S. We are 30 y.o. and have nothing better to do in life :D

There are two ways of looking at this, but only one way that Disney does. First of all, Pocahontas is the daughter of a Chieftain, so while not technically referred to as a "Princess" by her own people, she is certianly analagous and the European colonists would have used that term for her. In fact, more questionable is Mulan, who was not a princess no married into royalty. Of course, they are both Disney Princesses.

When you look at this from Disney's view, "Dinsey Princess" is not so much a rank or title, but actually a brand. Many actual princesses are not "Dinsey Princesses" at all, like Kida from Atlantis, Vanelope Von Schweetz, and even Anna and Elsa. Elsa is actually a Queen, however neither of them are in the "Disney Princess" group. So, in teh end, it really has nothing to do with their actual status in their world's nobility, but really jsut the label Disney wants to place on them.

She's in the Disney Princess product line. https://princess.disney.com/

It's kind of a weird thing. Anna and Elsa aren't in the line (yet) because Frozen sells on its own, but they're still included in Ralph 2's Disney Princess Room. Princess Eilonwy and Princess Vanellopee von Schwartz are both Princesses, but they're not in the line. It's more of a thing to sell toys.

Yes, because Disney says she is, but in Native American culture are different from European royalty.

Historically no. She wasn't in line to inherit and she was one of many children of Chief Powhatan.

Disneywise, I guess, at least according to Maui in Moana. I've always been a bit peeved at how they mutilated her life for the Disney film though.

The whole Disney Princess line is based on the idea of inclusion. Ethnicity and representation. Nothing wrong with that. Representation is very important. I mean, Mulan isn't a Princess by any means, but she's included as one.

If Disney says she's a princess, then she's a princess. What's official is official.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!