Is My Painted Wall Oil Paint?

Disney Ontario

Ontario Disney
Hi. Around 12 years ago my mother had some one in to paint my living room. Now we are ready to upgrade and repaint our home. The local painter has sinced died,so how do we know if he used oil? I don't want to paint with oil, will just a good primer solve my problem?

I just read something about this the other day. I think it said that if your paint comes off with rubbing alcohol, it is latex. If it doesn't, it is oil. I think you will have to use a special primer if it is oil and you want to use latex over it. Have you tried asking at a paint store?

Coll0610 said:
I just read something about this the other day. I think it said that if your paint comes off with rubbing alcohol, it is latex. If it doesn't, it is oil. a]Correct!- acetone (nail polish remover) will also work.

I think you will have to use a special primer if it is oil and you want to use latex over it. Have you tried asking at a paint store?-correct again....if you want to use latex paint you'll need either a special Latex primer - BM has one called "FreshStart" or you can also you an oil primer and the finial coat with latex, but then your primer coat is that yucky oil primer smell & clean up that your trying to get away from.
Good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter