• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is May rainy?

laughinplace199

<font color=blue>AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs<br><
I know there's nothing I can do about the weather, but I just want to be prepared (and for the kids to be prepared). Is there a lot of rain in May? We've never been to WDW in May, but we thought it would be a good time to go since lots of kids will still be in school (our kids are 4 & 2, so we can go anytime). We've been to WDW in the summer, and there was a rain shower just about every day. Is May similar to this? Thanks!

I'm going in May myself, and I looked online for Orlando's average monthly rainfall. May appears to be a pretty low month (under 4 inches each year for the past 4-5 years). June is a much higher month (7.1 inches average for the past 5 years -- with one year over 12 inches!!). I would guess that the later in May you go, the higher your chance for more rain... but who knows? Maybe we'll get nice, sunny days.:sunny:

I have been 6 times in May. Two times it didn't rain at all. Once it rained for half an hour one day. Twice it rained a couple times on the trip for 30-40 minutes or so and once time it rained for an hour on one day. Rain has not been any problem at all. I like an occaisional storm so it has worked out great.

I am going in May too. I went twice in May once in 1985 and again in 1986 neighter time did it rain. Having said that it will now pour the whole time.
Knocking on wood hard.......

Each time DH and I have gone in May, it has only rained one day of each of our trips and only for about 20 minutes. The first trip it rained in the morning before we got out into the parks, so that wasn't bad at all, the 2nd time it rained while we were at EPCOT waiting on Illuminations. Even with ponchos, we got soaked a little, but the we waited it out and it was worth it. Never saw a drop of rain after that. :umbrella:

Last year on our May trip it did not rain at all. The year before, it rained only when we got to the airport to fly home!

Hoping for the best this year! Let's all ask the Disney rain gods for a nice dry May!:sunny:

I usually go in May and I have had pretty good luck with the rain, however last year we went in June for my DS's 5th b-day and it rained at least 4 of the 8 days we were there. Having said that only one of the days did it just storm and blow the rest were quick down pours.

I've gone in mid-may for the past 11 years and only two trips had rain. Once, however, we had rain all week. It's generally of the 'tropical downpour' kind, but has also been full day rain. Take a good poncho and hope for the best. :)

I have been the week preceding Memorial Day the last two years and I would say it averages an hour of rain every other day. It never rained enough to ruin a day, but the first year Fantasmic was cancelled (and we got the dinner package) and Share a Dream Come True was cancelled one day too.

Just make sure that if you really want to see something that can be effected by a thunderstorm you plan two different times you can see it in case the first one is cancelled.

-DH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter