Is it worth the hassle?

KimberlyC

<font color=darkgreen>Mouseketeer<br><font color=d
Is it even a hassle? :confused3

Here's the deal - 3 adults (DNiece is 12 but an adult at WDW) and a 2 yr old going for a short trip for DS's 2nd B-day. Staying at Poly but booked room only for two nights. Pre stay in St. Pete so we are arriving Saturday am. Will need lunch and dinner first day. Sunday going to MK. We'll probably do breakfast at the hotel (I keep hearing about Tonga Toast). Lunch will probably be CS in FantasyLand - most likely Pinnochio Haus. I have CP adr's for dinner (DS will have a b-day cake). Before we check out Monday, I have Ohana character bkfst. We'll probably have lunch near the airport so don't need to worry about that.

Should i upgrade? I read the dining is about $38 per adult. Clearly we'll have to pay OOP for some meals anyway and at counter service we'll need to buy DS OOP as he's too young for dining plan. At table service he'll be free since he'll nibble off of our plate. Is it a pain to pay some OOP and some on the dining card? And it looks like CP is $28 pp and counter service about $8-$10. Ohana is only $19 pp. Ok so, I'm not sure given my ADR's that we'd break even both days but then I must consider gratuity is included so we'd probably break even. If we use the snacks we might come out ahead a bit. But if the savings aren't large is it worth the hassle? And am I missing something? I hear its such a great deal, I guess I expected the savings to be a bit better than just breaking even or thereabouts. Last, but not least, is it a problem to add the package through my TA a month before the trip? I haven't troubled her with this question yet. I realize I have to purchase base tix but planned on doing so at the gate anyway. For one day its not worth going through ticketmania or the like.

Any thoughts on places to eat the first night, both TS and CS since I don't know what the kids will be in the mood for. We'll be hanging out/relaxing at the Poly and maybe DTD the first day so as to not exhaust DS.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, comments, suggestions. I've never done the dining plan and find it a bit overwhelming. That and that I didn't know enough aboutit are why I didn't book it to begin with. Thanks!

Your specific choices don't tend to indicate you'd benefit from the dining plan, even if you were eligible for it.

bicker said:
Your specific choices don't tend to indicate you'd benefit from the dining plan, even if you were eligible for it.

By "even if you were eligible for it" do you mean because we are not staying 3 nights at WDW? I read somewhere (maybe allears) that there was a 3 night minimum, but I've seen conflicting info and haven't asked my TA yet. But I see how everyone raves about it and figured I must be missing something. I guess it didn't hurt to inquire. I'll stick with paying the old fashioned way.

Thanks for the info.

By that I meant that I couldn't tell your eligibility.

The meals you've selected are among the least expensive places to dine on the DDP. That's why your savings are less than you would expect. If you chose restaurants like Le Cellier or Coral Reef you'd find that your savings would be tremendous.

I don't think you'll need to buy any meals OOP for your toddler. There will be plenty of food for him to just pick off other plates. At the buffets, he'll be served his own meal free of charge.

If you opt for the DDP, I'd recommend sharing 2 CS meals between all of you, which would "save" two credits. Those credits could be used to cover your breakfast at the hotel so you won't have to worry about doing that OOP. If two breakfast meals isn't enough food (which it very well might not be), you can supplement with snack credits. You can get fruit with the snack credits to go along with the breakfast. If you get a really good cashier at the resort CS, you could possibly also get muffins, croissants, etc with snack credits.

formernyer said:
The meals you've selected are among the least expensive places to dine on the DDP. That's why your savings are less than you would expect. If you chose restaurants like Le Cellier or Coral Reef you'd find that your savings would be tremendous.

I don't think you'll need to buy any meals OOP for your toddler. There will be plenty of food for him to just pick off other plates. At the buffets, he'll be served his own meal free of charge.

If you opt for the DDP, I'd recommend sharing 2 CS meals between all of you, which would "save" two credits. Those credits could be used to cover your breakfast at the hotel so you won't have to worry about doing that OOP. If two breakfast meals isn't enough food (which it very well might not be), you can supplement with snack credits. You can get fruit with the snack credits to go along with the breakfast. If you get a really good cashier at the resort CS, you could possibly also get muffins, croissants, etc with snack credits.

Thank you. As much as I'd love to dine at some of the nicer places, I chose based on the characters DS would like to see since this little trip is just for his 2nd B-day. Plus Ohana is so convenient because its at our resort. I appreciate the info as knowing the ins and outs of the DDP will certainly come in handy for future visits.

bicker said:
By that I meant that I couldn't tell your eligibility.

I'm curious about this. Is there something required other than staying at a Disney resort and purchasing at least a one day base ticket? Is there a minimum number of nights required? Is there anything else required?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter