Is it worth going to Universal if you have motion sickness?

I have the prescription Meclizine (25mg) and it totally wipes me out - even half a dose. A quarter pill is even tough.

I use it when I get vertigo and I'll be out for hours.

The first time we went to Universal, I hadn't been dating my girlfriend, now wife, long. I took a 1/2 pill thinking that would be okay and I was fine until we took a mid-day break.

Back at the hotel, I laid down on the bed and was out in seconds (and normally it takes me a long time to fall asleep). I was out for hours. She went to the store, went to lunch, went to the pool, and spent 10 minutes trying to wake me up. I'd wake up for a few seconds, then fall back to sleep. She was starting to get scared because she couldn't get me to wake up. Wasted about 3/4 of that day.

I only take it now when I get vertigo - and it's great for that. Hard to be dizzy when you are in a zombie-like state ;)

That is interesting. The last cruise I took we were on VERY ROUGH waters and I needed something to survive. They gave me Meclizine (they said non-drowsy) and I never felt tired or light-headed. I really wonder what they have, because it was better than any Dramamine or Bonine I have ever used.

I also get motion sickness from roller coasters, spinning rides, boats, cars, and planes. I was worried about my trip to Universal this summer, but I bought these patches and they worked like a dream! They are all natural and I didn't experience any side effects. I also took Bonine in the morning, but from past experience Bonine is not enough for me on its own. I went on every single ride multiple times and felt great the whole day. It says each patch lasts 1-3 days, but I just put a new pair on each day to be sure.

I had my doctor order me 3 Transderm Scop patches for our upcoming 8 day trip. I've never used them before, I get mild nausea on some things, but never sick enough to vomit, so hopefully these will take that minor discomfort away.

But to get at the reason for this post. I went to pick them up and they were only $9!!! I questioned the price, because I've read, and my doctor told me, they are expensive. The pharmacist told me that 2 months ago they became generic which greatly reduced the price. Sounds great to me. Just an FYI for those who use them.

I felt so sick on the majority of the rides at Universal, especially the Simpsons.
I usually can ride simulation rides but I ask the CM before I go on what the ride is like. So...he said the Simpson ride was mild, not big ups and downs. Was I led down the wrong path or what! Worst ride ever. I had to close my eyes from the moment I saw I was on a roller coaster. I don't ride the real ones, not going to like a simulated one...LOL...never again.

I don't think motion sickness pills would help me with rides. I don't get sick, I just want to get off as soon as possible...hate the feeling! Universal has much less appeal for me because I can't do many of the rides, but they do have some rides I can go on. Surprisingly I can do Transformers, Spider Man, and Men in Black. I can't do any of the rides in Hogwarts except the train going over there, but I love the area just to walk around. They certainly have much fewer family friendly rides than Disney. I guess I could do a day there, but not more than that. When we go to Disney next year, my family is going to do one day at Universal. I chose not to go. But, you do have to experience it, at least once and see what happens, otherwise you'll never know what you missed.

I had my doctor order me 3 Transderm Scop patches for our upcoming 8 day trip. I've never used them before, I get mild nausea on some things, but never sick enough to vomit, so hopefully these will take that minor discomfort away.

But to get at the reason for this post. I went to pick them up and they were only $9!!! I questioned the price, because I've read, and my doctor told me, they are expensive. The pharmacist told me that 2 months ago they became generic which greatly reduced the price. Sounds great to me. Just an FYI for those who use them.

Apply the first patch the night before you leave for Florida. I've had the best success with the patches that way. And be sure to buy a box of those round bandaids to put over the patch (will help keep you from accidentally touching it or getting residue on your pillow etc). Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after applying it and after anytime you touch it. Have a great trip!

Apply the first patch the night before you leave for Florida. I've had the best success with the patches that way. And be sure to buy a box of those round bandaids to put over the patch (will help keep you from accidentally touching it or getting residue on your pillow etc). Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after applying it and after anytime you touch it. Have a great trip!

Thank you and I am buying the round bandaids, because of your earlier mention of it. I'm just nervous about side effects like dizziness. And I do drink adult beverages so I'll have to pay attention how I feel after having one. When I did Bonine I drank and was fine.

I don't think motion sickness pills would help me with rides. I don't get sick, I just want to get off as soon as possible...hate the feeling! Universal has much less appeal for me because I can't do many of the rides, but they do have some rides I can go on. Surprisingly I can do Transformers, Spider Man, and Men in Black. I can't do any of the rides in Hogwarts except the train going over there, but I love the area just to walk around. They certainly have much fewer family friendly rides than Disney. I guess I could do a day there, but not more than that. When we go to Disney next year, my family is going to do one day at Universal. I chose not to go. But, you do have to experience it, at least once and see what happens, otherwise you'll never know what you missed.
Thank you! Beside the motion sickness my kids really aren't into thrill rides so I was trying to see if there was anything they would go on. I hate to pay all that money to get in and not have them go anything. I will look into the ones you mentioned. Thanks again

Wow! $9! Last time I got them, they were $80. Still worth it. ;)

I usually can ride simulation rides but I ask the CM before I go on what the ride is like. So...he said the Simpson ride was mild, not big ups and downs. Was I led down the wrong path or what! Worst ride ever. I had to close my eyes from the moment I saw I was on a roller coaster. I don't ride the real ones, not going to like a simulated one...LOL...never again.

Boy, it sure sounds like you were indeed misled about that. Everybody I know that has been to Universal says that the Simpsons is one of the absolute worst when it comes to motion sickness.

Thank you! Beside the motion sickness my kids really aren't into thrill rides so I was trying to see if there was anything they would go on. I hate to pay all that money to get in and not have them go anything. I will look into the ones you mentioned. Thanks again

My husband will not do the 3D rides due to motion sickness and he doesn't do big rollercoaster because they hurt his neck. We are here now and the only things he will do are the shows, ET, Jurassic Park, Ripsaw Falls, Bilge Rat Barges, Flight of the Hippogriff, Men in Black, Seuss Trolley Train Ride, and Hogwarts Express.

He waits for us for everything else. I think he would be fine on Gringotts and Kong, but he won't even try them.

Even some of the non 3D rides, like Men in Black and Bilge Rat Barges, seem to have a lot of unnecessary spinning.

That being said, he is still having a good time. He is enjoying hanging out with the kids and watching them have fun. He had a blast shooting us with balls at Curious George's play area (that was unexpected fun for all of us). He enjoyed his Lard Lad donut and Duff beer in the Simpsons area. He is enjoying the shows, corny as they may be. He likes Knockturn Alley. It is really cool to walk through.

I think the scenery and theming are worth a visit, even if for just a day or two, even for non riders. Universal doesn't come close to the amount of things there are to do at Disney for people with motion sickness, but we are all still having a great time.

My husband will not do the 3D rides due to motion sickness and he doesn't do big rollercoaster because they hurt his neck. We are here now and the only things he will do are the shows, ET, Jurassic Park, Ripsaw Falls, Bilge Rat Barges, Flight of the Hippogriff, Men in Black, Seuss Trolley Train Ride, and Hogwarts Express.

He waits for us for everything else. I think he would be fine on Gringotts and Kong, but he won't even try them.

Even some of the non 3D rides, like Men in Black and Bilge Rat Barges, seem to have a lot of unnecessary spinning.

That being said, he is still having a good time. He is enjoying hanging out with the kids and watching them have fun. He had a blast shooting us with balls at Curious George's play area (that was unexpected fun for all of us). He enjoyed his Lard Lad donut and Duff beer in the Simpsons area. He is enjoying the shows, corny as they may be. He likes Knockturn Alley. It is really cool to walk through.

I think the scenery and theming are worth a visit, even if for just a day or two, even for non riders. Universal doesn't come close to the amount of things there are to do at Disney for people with motion sickness, but we are all still having a great time.
Thank you that is very helpful!

My family loves US. I like it too but I spend most of the time waiting at the exit. If you have another adult that would enjoy the experience, it is a good day to save a$100 and stay at the hotel.

Very helpful post. Thanks for that.

Yes it is. I posted my experience from my visit last week. It is on the first page. Everything makes me nauseated and I had a great time at both parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!