Is it smart to take the bf along with the family?

PrincessRianne

Mouseketeer
Well, here's my dilema.
My parents have been discussing going back to Disney this May, after my classes end and I'm really exicted cause I haven't been since my senior trip in high school (im a sophmore in college now). And since starting college, ive fallen in love with a great guy and we've been together for a year and half. Thing is, he's never really been been to Disney like my family does it (We go as often as possible, stay at the poly for 10 days and do disney right! You all know what I'm talking about. lol.) (He did go on the senior trip with me though, but back then we were just friends) so I would love nothing more then for him to experience this family tradition with us. Thing is, I have a big family, 4 younger sisters, and my aunt and grandmother always come with us too. Is it hard to balance between him and my family? Cause I wouldnt want to neglect either or. I mean, he gets along really well with my sisters, so thats not the problem. I just want to here some words of advice perhaps from others whove done it? Any words of advice would be appreciated.

:mickeybar Rianne :mickeybar

On the 22nd of this month will be my boyfriend's first trip to WDW and he's coming with me and my parents. This will be our second Dis trip with him, our first was to DL. I would worry the most about your grandmother, because she might be old fashioned, but then again, maybe not. My grandparents are in their late 70s and early 80s, and they love my boyfriend (w made 2 years on the 8th), but they are old fashioned. I'm an only child so whenever we travel its only my parents and I and my bf. I can honestly say you might have a harder time due to the sheer size of you family. I wish I could be more help......

:blush: Jen :blush:

Morning Princess,

On our December trip we had, myself, Disney Husband, DS1, DS2,DS3, Grandma and i invited disney son #1's girlfriend. The kids stuck to us old folks like glue. we all had a great time. I think you just have to remember who your with and be respectful of their age, no extreme shows of affection, seperate rooms/beds (sorry don't feel kids still supported by parents (college students) should be living under the same roof, especially if there are younger siblings in the picture.

I'm sure it will be a fun time, just remember your here with the whole family, not just your bf. First you need to make sure this is okay with your parents.

Before DH and I got married, my parents included him on several of our family vacations to Disney. I say go for it and take him. Just do as DeeDeeDis says and be mindful of who you are with when, and make sure to spend time with everyone on the trip. DH and I used to spend the days out in the parks by ourselves or with my younger brother and the friend he would bring, and then meet up with my parents for dinner/an evening in the parks. Have fun!

this june my boyfriend is going to join along with my family at wdw. :love: i agree with everyone else so far about sharing a bed and affection :love2: . if you are really worried about it i would talk to your parents. mine have said that they would like to do some family rides then we can go off and do the trill rides since my younger cousins will not go on them. and always an option would be to hang around the family during the day and then at night go out with just you two, to either the parks or pleasure island. i am sure that you will be able to find plenty of alone time and still have a great trip with your family!!

my parents invited my boyfriend to go along on our disney cruise next year. i don't see how it would be any different than say a big family gathering (which my boyfriend has had his fair share of already). as long as your parents don't mind that he's there and your family likes him, i say go for it. it's not like you're really neglecting the family if you hang around with him all day, besides i know in my case my boyfriend is considered part of my family. good luck! :goodvibes

iggbees said:
i know in my case my boyfriend is considered part of my family.

im sorry she my sister and i just have to say HAHA :rotfl2:

All your advice is wonderful. I hope that everything goes well. And yes, my family likes him (My sisters get along great with him) and my parents like him as well. Trust me, I know not to show tooo much affection if you catch my drift. :p

Plus Disney is such a big part of my family, I dont think I could just ditch them entirely. lol. I love it, and them way to much.

But thanks again, and I hope to see you all around the boards! Im pretty new still, but I am a disney Fanatic. Started back when I was 2. lol. Since Ive been 7 times. My dad made me this way though. lol.

Have a great week everyone!

me & my fiance went with my parents & a total of 20 family members to wdw for a reunion/family vacation back in 2000. we all had a great time, with our size group we did alone days & group events where we all got together, ate, explored a park, etc. it was a perfect balance of romance & family fun. the only thing i would suggest is maybe your own room.

Last august, I planned it so that my bf would be in florida the same time that I would go. I go every year, and he had not been there for years before our trip. He had stayed at his grandmother's house in Orlando, while I stayed with my family at the hotel. He was only there a couple of days, and I spend at least 3 weeks there, so my family understood when I went off with him alone. It was amazing, though. I don't know what your situation is, but my parents are still strict with me, so I had never gone away with him before, and for our first trip together being in disney..it was awesome. I got to be in my favorite place with my favorite person :)

I hope you have a great time with your family and your boyfriend!

I've been with my boyfriend for 2 years and he's gone down the shore with my family on vacation twice. This year, we're finally going to WDW again (we haven't been there since August 2001). This time, my boyfriend is coming, and so is my sister's. So there will be 6 of us: my parents, me, my sister and the boyfriends staying at a 2 bedroom villa at OKW. I am so excited about it. I know most of the time the whole family will stick together since it is a family trip, but there will be a few times where we go our separate ways. I know it will be a lot of fun, and I'm sure you'll feel the same about your trip.

Hey. Just thought I'd share-- I just got back this weekend from Disney. It was my parents, my older sister, her friend, me and my boyfriend. We got DVC points from my aunt and uncle, so we had two suites at the VWL. My parents had their own room and the rest of us another. It worked out so well. During the day, we would all meet up for breakfast, some dinners, and my parents and us met up for fireworks twice. Other than that, we were all on our own unless we wanted to meet up, which would have worked as well. My parents already consider my boyfriend very close to my family (3 years together), and since we had spring break at the same time, they invited him along since we wouldn't have seen each other otherwise. He and my sister get along great too so there was no problems what so ever.
The affection thing, I completely understand. We're not a "PBA" kinda of couple, so it really wasn't a problem anyway. Depending on how your family is about certain things, it may be difficult to figure out rooming (like would he be allowed to share a room with you, let alone a bed. would you be rooming with how many other people and who.)
One plus to convince you is that he would make the total people 10, and an even number seems to work much better in Disney than an odd number....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter