Is it really that hot in the summer?

jeremy1002

Rope Dropper
Going to WDW in late June, and my plan is to wear long pants, a jacket, and a large hat in the parks everyday because I get sunburn easily. I’ve never been in Florida that time of year. Is it really as hot as people that talk about how hot it is say? I tend to be a little cold in air conditioning so maybe I’ll be ok?

Going to WDW in late June, and my plan is to wear long pants, a jacket, and a large hat in the parks everyday because I get sunburn easily. I’ve never been in Florida that time of year. Is it really as hot as people that talk about how hot it is say? I tend to be a little cold in air conditioning so maybe I’ll be ok?
I mean each person is different but I would pass out if I worse pants and a jacket in Florida heat. 90+ every day with humidity making it feel in the 100s often.

I was born and raised in Florida....WDW in June wearing pants and a jacket would be unbearable for me. Have you looked into specialty clothing intended to block sun without being thick?? Perhaps you can find something moisture wicking and breathable? Summer humidity in Florida is no joke!!

We go in July and I am always in long sleeves. Yes it is hot outside but I freeze anywhere indoors whether it be rides, restaurants, or the Boardwalk resort. I used to not be like that but after brain surgery in 2007, I joke they took my thermostat out:crazy: I walk around in sweatshirts in the evenings as well. If you are cold in the air you may be ok.

Between May and early October you want cloudy skies,even rain as being in the sun when its in the 90s with heat indexes of 105-110 will drain you quick,best place to be is a waterpark,beach or the movies,at least until the sun starts going down.You need to look at the positives,and that is your trip is late June,July and August are more likely to be hotter.But like I said it doesnt matter much, July and August are probably hotter on average but between May and the first two weeks of October it can be hell on earth.I think the two hottest times I've gone to the parks were in late May,it was upper 90s,like 97 and heat indexes of 110,in 30 minutes under the sun waiting for a parade or somethinh my shirt got soaked in sweat,like jumped into a pool soaked,had to go back to the hotel and change.

If you are just trying to keep your skin free from the sun, a jacket really isn’t necessary (and seems a bit overkill).

As others have said, there are tons of long sleeved light weight breathable fabrics out there that you can wear that will shield you from the sun and be much cooler than a jacket.

Suggestion to simulate Florida in June: Put on your jacket, long pants and hat and go sit in a steam room. That’s what Florida feels like in June. It’s more the humidity than the heat that will overwhelm you. 11:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m. can be brutal. Try doing Rope Drop, head back to your hotel by 11:00, spend a pleasant afternoon floating in a pool, take a nap, head back to the parks after dinner/sunset but most of all have fun. It can be done but just on a different schedule.

Good luck with that! It's hot in WDW in the summer. You might wanna just go with some cargo shorts, a light 3/4 arm shirt, sandals, and a good hat.

Last edited:
Yes, it is really that hot and it is a wet heat that makes it hard to breathe at times. Do yourself a favor and buy clothes specifically made for keeping your skin covered in the heat. Do not wear a regular jacket. If you do you are setting yourself up for heat stroke. You need something that will breathe.

I run cold all the time and I’m sweltering at Disney. But I do need a sweatshirt when I go in to restaurants because they have the A/C blasting cold air.

Yes. it was almost 100 degrees the first week of May when we visited. You need to find a good sunblock that works, wear a hat and breathable clothes that are summer friendly.

My husband is a red head and pale. If he even thinks about the sun he gets burnt. He does what I listed above and survives. He hardly got any sun last week because he found a good sunblock.

It depends on what you are used to wherever you live. I live in the Midwest where it gets just as hot, and just as humid; however, the sun is not as intense. In Florida you will burn so much quicker/easier because of the intensity of the sun. I really do agree with everyone; shop for clothing specifically made to block the sun, but that are extremely light. I've done that before and it really does make a difference, and yes, those clothes are expensive, but worth it.

Another possibility is not to dress as covered but to carry a sunshade.

I'm here now and yesterday afternoon I felt like I was walking on the surface of the sun and I was in shorts.. I'm sure it's even hotter in June

The real feel temp can be around 110-120 degree's & humid. Not my ideal weather to visit WDW and walk on hot black asphalt which will be even hotter.

There's a lot of hyperbole in here, IMO, and that's often the case when it comes to talking about Florida summer. Yeah, it's hot...but it's Florida in the middle of the summer, what else would you expect? Millions upon millions of people live there, so it has to be manageable. A little common sense goes a long way.

I burn very easily too, but no way on earth would I wear pants and long sleeves. Sunscreen....even on my bald head.

There's a lot of hyperbole in here, IMO, and that's often the case when it comes to talking about Florida summer. Yeah, it's hot...but it's Florida in the middle of the summer, what else would you expect? Millions upon millions of people live there, so it has to be manageable. A little common sense goes a long way.

I burn very easily too, but no way on earth would I wear pants and long sleeves. Sunscreen....even on my bald head.

I think most of the people who live their have become acclimated to the heat. Just like you get acclimated to the cold here during a Michigan winter.

But I agree, use some common sense. If you truly think you will need some long sleeved tops, pack a few. But also pack some short sleeved tops and shorts, just in case you do find long pants and sleeves too hot. And pack a lot of sunscreen. I too burn easily, but no way would I wear long sleeves. But I will put on sunscreen multiple times during the day.

Wowza. Yeah, seriously hot. However, as others have suggested, many of the outdoor rec companies have created very lightweight, SPF clothing - pants, long sleeve shirts, hats - that will probably work very nicely for you. We just bought a few Columbia sportswear items for a trip to Ecuador this summer and the pants are very lightweight and very comfortable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter