Is it possible to get around Universal/IOA without using lockers?

robl45

DIS Veteran
Preparing for the trip in a little less than 2 weeks. Was wondering if its possible to do the parks without using lockers at the rides and if so how would you do that exactly if no loose objects are allowed?

The Universal lockers are quick and easy to use. There are a couple locker areas they did not lay out very well, so they feel more crowded, and you have the occasional person who just can't seem to grasp the instructions, but otherwise it's no big deal.

But, if you really don't want to use them...

1. You could go to the park without loose objects. I've never managed this, but only because of my phone. Without the phone, it would be easy. Just put everything in your lanyard. I'd generally be happy to leave my phone at the resort, but the Universal app is very useful to me for wait times and ride closures, plus I use the camera.

2. You could have someone in your party hold your loose objects while you ride.

Last edited:
The phone is what always gets me. With a phone you have to use a locker (or a friend to hold) on the few metal detector rides.

Just for others who are reading- it’s not all rides. On most rides you can have loose objects in your pockets. For those metal detector rides free lockers are provided.

Okay, so phone has to stay with me so that's out. I guess I'll just carry a backpack with us if we don't take the stroller. I was just hoping to avoid the craziness I've read about with the ride lockers.

We stay onsite so we've done just lanyards as @Robo56 said, but most days we need our "stuff". There's only a few rides that require you to use lockers for loose articles- they are a little crazy! But not too bad. Just have one in your party go in. It's the groups that must stay together that clog up the locker area.

use the locker is not worth to risk to lose a phone or else, they won’t try to retrieve the item.

Unfortunately if I can't convince the wife to go, I will be one of those groups clogging up the locker area as I can't leave the kids alone out in a crowd of people.

We didn’t find lockers that bad. Just make sure only ONE of your party goes to
Locker and head to back. Everyone flocks to front and there are always ton open in back.

Okay, so phone has to stay with me so that's out. I guess I'll just carry a backpack with us if we don't take the stroller. I was just hoping to avoid the craziness I've read about with the ride lockers.

If you are doing child swap, you don't have to worry too much about it. You just keep the bag with the child in the child swap. The rides that require lockers do not allow stroller sized kids anyways.

If you are doing child swap, you don't have to worry too much about it. You just keep the bag with the child in the child swap. The rides that require lockers do not allow stroller sized kids anyways.

Probably won't do child swap, these aren't stroller sized kids per say, they are 7 and 9 and lazy. 9 year old probably be fine, but 7 year old may need the stroller to get her around the full day. I'm thinking the child swap probably out at this point, probably schedule some child care for the 7 year old so my son can ride the 48 inch and RRR with me unless the swap area looks safe.

Unfortunately if I can't convince the wife to go, I will be one of those groups clogging up the locker area as I can't leave the kids alone out in a crowd of people.
I’m assuming your kids then are too young to ride big coaster where the use of lockers is a must, rides like Forbidden Journey you can wear a fanny pack and just turn it on the side if it’s on the way of the lapbar. My husband use one and he never take the it off to ride.

The lockers are not as big of a deal as some make them out to be. They add maybe a total of 5 minutes to the front and end of the ride experience, and IMO, they are worth the hassle over trying to go without. And as mentioned, on 2 of the coasters, you can't have anything on your person anyway. The locker is self-explanatory and the only frustrating part is getting someone in front of you who doesn't read. We always look for a locker bank near the back, because everyone beelines for the first ones they see when they enter.

use the locker is not worth to risk to lose a phone or else, they won’t try to retrieve the item.

FWIW, on RRR and Hulk, they won't even let you in the queue if you have your phone or anything else in your pocket. So there is no choice but to use a locker if someone wants to ride these and has items or a phone in their pocket.

You could get on some of the smaller rides with your phone in your pocket. But that would be at your own risk. I know RRR And The Hulk have the metal detectors.

The lockers are really easy to use, and I haven’t had a single bad experince with them. If that helps :)

On rides like Mummy, we regularly ride with lanyards, and never had anyone question those. How else would you take advantage of the express pass line? On those rides, you don't have to empty your pockets, they mostly just care about bags.

For the few rides like Hulk, with metal detectors, then you kind of have no choice, unless someone in your group doesn't want to ride, and will hold everything or you want to take turns riding (but that wouldn't really be a better solution).

We do use the lockers, but I'm going to say it is a bit of a pain. Individually, it doesn't usually take THAT long to get your stuff, but collectively over the course of the day that time adds up. If you are able to go without a bag, that is easier. While I've only had problems with malfunctioning lockers a few times, it has happened. It also sometimes happens that you get stuck behind someone who forgot their locker number. To be fair, the lockers aren't all exactly the same. Sometimes you have to enter your number, but other times you don't. (unless there's a problem) I can see how that could be confusing, especially after you use multiple lockers all with different numbers.

If we stay onsite, esp the deluxe hotels, then we often only carry a bag only part of the day.

One more thought, I haven't done this per say, but I once saw a family who wore tiny pouches tucked into their shirts.

Do you have a bumbag that ties around your waist? Works for most rides. I don’ t do upside down rides but wet ones like Blutos just slip on a sandwich bag.

Except for the 2-3 rides that use metal detectors, you can do any other ride locker-less. Even an actual camera, if it fits in your pocket, can go on the other rides (I did this with every ride, it was great to bypass the lockers - but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker if you had to use the lockers. We certainly did use them at times). On some rides (Simpsons, Kong, water rides) you can even bring backpacks right on the ride with you. But really, it's not too hard to go to the parks without carrying miscellaneous stuff in your hands. And if it's in your pocket, it can go on most rides.

I assume i could carry a backpack on every ride except the ones that require the lockers otherwise what would I do with it?

The phone is what always gets me. With a phone you have to use a locker (or a friend to hold) on the few metal detector rides.

Just for others who are reading- it’s not all rides. On most rides you can have loose objects in your pockets. For those metal detector rides free lockers are provided.

I go hands free some days to the parks

Just my lanyard and cell
Phone

Sticky my lanyard under my top and my phone in my bra and do the rides

I have a lanyard style pouch that my phone sticks in. I figured I’d stick it down my top as well.

What is the purpose of metal detectors on rides anyways? I didn’t know about that before. Is it just RRR and Hulk? No one in my family will be riding those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!