• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it possible to dine with the characters at a full service restaurant

mom2boys

<font color=blue>Horseshoe Mesa - 3 miles, 31 swit
DS wants to dine with the "real characters" ie: fab 5 types. DH is leary of buffets with all of the germs floating around. Where can I find Mickey/Donald or similar characters at a meal that isn't a buffet?

Edited to add:
Family style is fine. It's one thing to share germs with the immediate family. It's a totally different story to share germs with thousands of strangers. (I know germs are germs but a loved one's germs don't seem cause loss of appetiate as quickly as a stranger's.)

Garden Grill. Ohana for Breakfast (Goofy Mickey Chip & Dale Pluto (I think).

There is no "full service" restaurant on WDW property that has characters, meaning you do not order from a menu. The restaurants listed above do have "family style" service. That means you are served a fixed menu, which is brought to your table on large plates and you serve yourself. You are charged the same prices as you would be at a buffet type place, but you are in charge of serving yourself. You do get refills of anything you like, so it is all-you-can eat, just like a buffet.

I think their character breakfast is sit down but the characters are Pooh and Friends.

Unfortunately, Artist Point discontinued their character breakfast. CRT is also served family-style instead of a buffet.

Actually, CRT is a preplated meal. Each person gets an individual meal on their plate. You can ask for seconds of any or all items. However, the princesses are at this meal.

I would second Liberty Tree Tavern. The meal is served family style here - but you don't have to get the food from a buffet. It has the characters you are looking for.

I had the same problem. Who wants to eat that food?? Not me. But my nephews love the interaction of the characters. Garden Grill in Epcot offers a ice cream social for $6.99 per person and it has characters. I think it is a good mix, and I can still eat a nice dinner that night and they get to have the interaction with the characters. We are only there four nights, so I dont want to waste a dinner eating at one of those buffets.

Gullivers at the Swan has a dinner menu. They do not guarantee which characters appear, but typically Timon and Rafiki on Monday and Friday and (I think) Goofy and Pluto other nights.

I had the same problem. Who wants to eat that food?? Not me. But my nephews love the interaction of the characters. Garden Grill in Epcot offers a ice cream social for $6.99 per person and it has characters. I think it is a good mix, and I can still eat a nice dinner that night and they get to have the interaction with the characters. We are only there four nights, so I dont want to waste a dinner eating at one of those buffets.

Garden Grill, Ohana, and Liberty Tree are all served Family Style, which is not a buffet. The only people not sitting at your table who have any contact with your food at this restaurant are the chef and the server -same as any restaurant anywhere. The food is fresh and there is a wide variety of items. Dining at any of these three locations is as "real" as anywhere you would normally eat.
All-you-can-eat does not = buffet.

Also, the average meal time at Garden Grill is about 1 hour/1 hour and 15 minutes, no longer than any other table service restaurant.
I would reccomend the Garden Grill to the OP, it'll be one of the easier character locations to get a PS for, it's not a buffet, Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale appear, there's a wide variety of food, and drinks & dessert are included in the price.

Originally posted by Safari Steve
Garden Grill, Ohana, and Liberty Tree are all served Family Style, which is not a buffet. The only people not sitting at your table who have any contact with your food at this restaurant are the chef and the server -same as any restaurant anywhere. The food is fresh and there is a wide variety of items. Dining at any of these three locations is as "real" as anywhere you would normally eat.
All-you-can-eat does not = buffet.

Also, the average meal time at Garden Grill is about 1 hour/1 hour and 15 minutes, no longer than any other table service restaurant.
I would reccomend the Garden Grill to the OP, it'll be one of the easier character locations to get a PS for, it's not a buffet, Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale appear, there's a wide variety of food, and drinks & dessert are included in the price.

But from what I read, Ohana is only a character meal at breakfast. Is that true??

yes, Ohana only has characters at breakfast. They don't serve lunch at all. They are Family Style for both Breakfast and Dinner, though, which is why I included them on the list.

Whispering Canyon also has a family/skillet style a-y-c-e meal available, but they don't have characters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter