Is it okay to put family first? (Response to royal family stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does Meghan Markle realize that she married a Prince? She chose to date him. They fell in love, but nobody held a gun to her head to marry him. When she became engaged, I'm sure that she was educated in protocols, duties, etc. At any point before the actual wedding, she could have backed out. She chose this lifestyle. I don't really feel sorry for her.

She is worth 5 million. Prince Harry is worth over 25 million. She can go back to acting. He can do speaking engagements. I think they will be okay.

Prince William has always been my favorite. I hope that he becomes King in my lifetime.

ummm....she chose her husband, not this lifestyle

So they had their royal summit and the Queen responded kindly and graciously to Harry and Meghan, agreeing to accommodate their decision and work with them to allow them to have the life they want. Harry met with his brother, father and grandmother (apparently it was decided that Meghan did not need to be included in the discussion), and they came away with some kind of plan to go forward.

Now why on earth didn’t they do this weeks or months ago privately? They could have avoided much of the public backlash and negative press if they had simply just talked to their family like normal people. :confused3

They still would have been vilified in the press and by the public even if they had gone through "proper channels."

$1.7 million per year for security? Pfffft. Canada can easily afford that. Just put a penny tax on each cup of Tim Horton's coffee. One story I read last night indicated that Justin would gladly have his people pay.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...ill-pick-harry-meghans-security-bill-country/
Harry and Meghan can "work" in exchange. Have them drop the ceremonial first puck at a few Maple Leafs games each year. And they can sell popcorn at the concession stand.

Last edited:
$1.7 million per year for security? Pfffft. Canada can easily afford that. Just put a penny tax on each cup of Tim Horton's coffee. One story I read last night indicated that Justin would gladly have his people pay.
I don't think it's a problem of Canada affording it....but that money could definitely be used elsewhere lol. I'd rather have that money help the homeless than go to 2 wealthy people like M&H. They're rich enough that they can buy their own security imo, they don't need others to help pay for them.

I’m not claiming Meghan is toxic or dysfunctional in any way. I’m referring to her father and step sibling, the ones who trash her in the media and sell pictures to paparazzi. I would imagine that’s just the tip of the iceberg regarding the conflict Meghan has had with them through the years. As far as I know, she has never spoken ill of them in return or used her mega-platform to try to “set the record straight” or even publicly defended herself. She has chosen to take the high road by not engaging and simply distancing herself from them. That shows maturity, IMO.

I didn't mean to say that you did claim that. That's what I am saying, it might be Meghan that is the toxic one. It may be Meghan that has treated her family wrongly. I don't know but I am certainly not going to take how she has acted since becoming a Royal as proof of anything. Of course she hasn't "set the record straight". That would be very "un royal" like. So, has she chosen to take the high road or did the Royal family choose for her?

They still would have been vilified in the press and by the public even if they had gone through "proper channels."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...ill-pick-harry-meghans-security-bill-country/
Harry and Meghan can "work" in exchange. Have them drop the ceremonial first puck at a few Maple Leafs games each year. And they can sell popcorn at the concession stand.
If I was Trudeau, I would privately work out some concessions for the couple to do some goodwill ambassador work for Canada in exchange for the security. If Trudeau is smart enough, he could possibly work out an arrangement that leads to a profit for Canada. Such arrangements couldn't conflict with Uk arrangements, but I think there's enough latitude for them to promote both.

So they had their royal summit and the Queen responded kindly and graciously to Harry and Meghan, agreeing to accommodate their decision and work with them to allow them to have the life they want. Harry met with his brother, father and grandmother (apparently it was decided that Meghan did not need to be included in the discussion), and they came away with some kind of plan to go forward.

Now why on earth didn’t they do this weeks or months ago privately? They could have avoided much of the public backlash and negative press if they had simply just talked to their family like normal people. :confused3

Because sometimes it takes an ultimatum to get the other side to agree to talks and reach a resolution.

I didn't mean to say that you did claim that. That's what I am saying, it might be Meghan that is the toxic one. It may be Meghan that has treated her family wrongly. I don't know but I am certainly not going to take how she has acted since becoming a Royal as proof of anything. Of course she hasn't "set the record straight". That would be very "un royal" like. So, has she chosen to take the high road or did the Royal family choose for her?

I think we've seen enough dysfunction on her father's side of the family to realize MM is NOT the toxic one.

I am glad that the Queen has accepted H & M’s wishes. I think if Diana were alive today she would fully support them but she would also be saddened that William and Harry are not as close, these days.

I look forward to seeing good things from this young couple!

TC :cool1:

I am glad that the Queen has accepted H & M’s wishes. I think if Diana were alive today she would fully support them but she would also be saddened that William and Harry are not as close, these days.

I look forward to seeing good things from this young couple!

TC :cool1:

I'm of the theory that they will get over it. Yes, it was a blast when Harry was single and hanging out with them constantly. But he found a wife and has his own family now. That's no different than what us average people deal with. I don't hang out with my sister as much either. But it's a blast when we text and do get together.

I think we've seen enough dysfunction on her father's side of the family to realize MM is NOT the toxic one.
I'm not ready to judge who's who on the "dysfunction" issue yet. Sometimes situations are just as you say, sometimes they become that way from being sadly mistreated.
I think the best that could come from all the turmoil would be some reflection along with serious efforts to get things on a better road in the future.

Last edited:
Meghan comments when saying nothing could prove more beneficial to all. It doesn’t help her image when coupled with reports of nasty treatment of her staff or hateful comments about William and Kate’s children. That alone would cause a lot of bad feelings.

ummm....she chose her husband, not this lifestyle
Seriously?

When I got married, I knew that his family was going to be my family. I knew that his family’s traditions would become mine. I knew that I would be watching a lot of hockey for the rest of my life. I took on all of his baggage, the good, the bad, and the ugly. That’s what marriage is, combining lives and lifestyles. Things didn’t always go smoothly. Even though he was friendly with my brother, my sister never accepted him.

I, a middle class teacher, chose to marry a middle class hockey coach. It helped that we shared the same values and faith, but it didn’t make the demands of extended family easy on us. Obviously being in the limelight accentuates everything.

My opinion is that Meghan didn’t enter into this marriage naively and blindly.

I adored Princess Diana, and I am certainly sorry for any lasting pain that Harry has experienced. Losing your mother under any circumstances is devastating. What he and William suffered was horrible.

Ultimately I wish them well.

Seriously?

When I got married, I knew that his family was going to be my family. I knew that his family’s traditions would become mine. I knew that I would be watching a lot of hockey for the rest of my life. I took on all of his baggage, the good, the bad, and the ugly. That’s what marriage is, combining lives and lifestyles. Things didn’t always go smoothly. Even though he was friendly with my brother, my sister never accepted him.

I, a middle class teacher, chose to marry a middle class hockey coach. It helped that we shared the same values and faith, but it didn’t make the demands of extended family easy on us. Obviously being in the limelight accentuates everything.

I adored Princess Diana, and I am certainly sorry for any lasting pain that Harry has experienced. Losing your mother under any circumstances is devastating. What he and William suffered was horrible.

Seriously

Yes, seriously. Extended family can be lovely, but they don't come first and if they are never happy with what we do, then that's their problem.

Combining lifestyles doesn't mean giving up your own. And you create your own traditions together. You implied that you basically followed all his traditions while your's were ignored. I hope that isn't true. You also say you adored Princess Diana, who DID give everything up for the royal family and was beyond miserable. Is that why you adored her?

As I posted before, Harry seems to be the one who wanted out of this lifestyle the most. He saw what happened to his mother and doesn't want it to happened to his son's mother. Yet somehow, this is all MM's fault for not being a stepford wife. For God's sake, even Kate has bucked royal tradition and has her family extremely involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!