Is it evil or not??

ice cube

DIS Veteran
To my fellow DVC members I beat the waitlist/booking software Tuesday night. We booked CCV Dec.26-Jan.3 many moons ago and was trying to add a few nights on the front end of our reservation. Of course nothing has been available in a studio where my family likes to stay. On Tuesday night while doing "paperwork' on my computer I decided to pick one resort "BCV" and put in nights on the front end of my existing reservation and see what happens. I kept going back and updating the page. This went on for a few hours and all of a sudden (I would updated the page around ten times in a row before going back to my "paperwork") Dec.24,25,26 popped up. Not realizing the exact dates I just went forward and grabbed them as quick as I could. After the dust cleared I had reserved 3 nights at BCV. So my question is if this happened to you would you feel guilty that someone cancelled those nights it went back into inventory and you grabbed it just before the waitlist software grabbed it for someone on the wait list? We are talking about a BVC studio Christmas time I just can't imagine how many people are waitlisted for those nights. BTW: I did throw back Dec.26 last night as that's when our CCV starts and really didn't need it......Personally I don't feel evil just want to know how others think if they were in this situation.....:worship:

I dont think ot is evil either. It was offered and you took it. I have been doing the same think, only longer and more often, for a few weeks and got what we needed. Still stalking for a last minute cancelation of a monorail resort and will happily take it if I see it. Congrats on getting what you want.

And, for all you know, that didn't actually match up on a waitlist. Keep in mind that if someone had 4 nights waitlisted, that didn't match. It'd match any component part of the three days, but nothing longer.

Anything on the RAT is fair game, and you don't even know for sure if someone has it waitlisted. I had some RAT finds that I would think were waitlisted (BCV on Princess half weekend, VGF in early December), but it's a mystery how the waitlist works. When I've cancelled days, sometimes I see them on the RAT and other times I don't (meaning it's likely it got picked up instantly by a waitlist). Does the waitlist sometimes work instantly and other times not? Who knows...

This is exactly how I booked a week over Thanksgiving around the 50 day mark. I didn't expect to get the Polynesian for the entire stay, but I did! Very excited!!

This is exactly how I booked a week over Thanksgiving around the 50 day mark. I didn't expect to get the Polynesian for the entire stay, but I did! Very excited!!

Hi. Congrats. Did you get it in one try or piece together. Thanks.

Hi. Congrats. Did you get it in one try or piece together. Thanks.

Thanks everyone........it was all 3 nights together.......in my mind I just don't like the fact that someone is probably on the wait list longer than when I decided to add more nights. I have been on the other end of the wait list and know how upsetting it is when it doesn't come through. Thats where the system is broken as even if it isn't all the nights on someone's wait list the system should give the next person in line those nights. Then let them chose to throw them back in the pool. Maybe someone is waitlisted for 2 of the 3 nights I grabbed (which again I threw one night back into the pool) and because it was 3 nights available and not two the said person might have needed the system doesn't pick it up. Believe me happy I got the nights but just thinking about the other end of it.....I guess this is karma for the times I got screwed....:rotfl2:

This is just my opinion:

The waitlist system was not designed to be "fair" - it was designed to keep the rooms full to the extent possible & to reduce the number of calls to MS as inexpensively as possible. One could argue that the current system benefits Members "as a whole" because it keeps costs lower than they might otherwise be. The current system has an added "convenience factor" for Members, who do not need to call continuously hoping to catch a cancellation. Online booking now provides those willing to put in the time and effort (and perhaps take some risk) a means to get what they want without using the waitlist system (or in addition to it).

There are many definitions of fair. AFAIK, you will not find "fair" in any of the legal documents we signed to become Members. (If you do, it won't be defined). Growing up, my parents' definition of fair was "a place you take your pig" or "the fair is in August" (We lived in Minnesota and the annual State Fair occurs at the end of August). As an adult, when it was part of my job to resolve disputes between union members, my definition of "fair" was the contract. (Sometimes, no one, including me, liked the results of that definition, but it still prevailed).

For DVC, my definition of fair is "operating within the system rules and using the tools that are available to all Members". Sometimes, I don't like all of the ways we Members find to work the system, but I don't think anyone is "evil" or even "unethical" for doing so.

YMMV.

To my fellow DVC members I beat the waitlist/booking software Tuesday night. We booked CCV Dec.26-Jan.3 many moons ago and was trying to add a few nights on the front end of our reservation. Of course nothing has been available in a studio where my family likes to stay. On Tuesday night while doing "paperwork' on my computer I decided to pick one resort "BCV" and put in nights on the front end of my existing reservation and see what happens. I kept going back and updating the page. This went on for a few hours and all of a sudden (I would updated the page around ten times in a row before going back to my "paperwork") Dec.24,25,26 popped up. Not realizing the exact dates I just went forward and grabbed them as quick as I could. After the dust cleared I had reserved 3 nights at BCV. So my question is if this happened to you would you feel guilty that someone cancelled those nights it went back into inventory and you grabbed it just before the waitlist software grabbed it for someone on the wait list? We are talking about a BVC studio Christmas time I just can't imagine how many people are waitlisted for those nights. BTW: I did throw back Dec.26 last night as that's when our CCV starts and really didn't need it......Personally I don't feel evil just want to know how others think if they were in this situation.....:worship:

It could even be that nobody had it waitlisted.

Christmas dates are the ones that are available the longest during that week - not everyone wants to be away from home. If you look now at what is available from Dec 1-30 the Christmas dates are available at several locations.

what is RAT? IS that just the booking system we use on dvc site or is this something different?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter