Is it a secret or a lie? August 2019 Bday trip - 7/29 Update

Good Morning everyone! We are only 53 days away from our trip. We are all so very excited about our trip.

I was able to make our fastpasses while on vacation and everything went well. I'll share details in the next few post as I finalize our plans.

We had a wonderful time in Colorado, I was there for a work conference and my family came along. They were able to enjoy some of Denver's attractions while I was at the conference. Their favorite, by far, was the Nature and Science Museum. Once I was done with the conference we drove higher into the mountains and spent the next 3 days camping at 10,000'. And yes, when I say camping I do mean tent camping. One of my coworkers couldn't believe that we actually camped in a tent, to her camping means staying in a cabin. We did bring air mattresses so we had one comfort, but we didn't have running water or electricity. She asked to see a picture of our tent.
IMG_0537.JPG
We really enjoyed being up in the mountains, we will be doing more camping for sure.
IMG_0533.JPG

It was so beautiful and peaceful, we tried to hike Mt. Sherman, one of the 14ers, but had to turn around at 12,600' because there was just too much snow and it was getting late. We probably could have pushed on a little further but our little one (she's 8) said she was getting lightheaded and we definitely didn't want to deal with altitude sickness. It was a 4 mile round trip hike and our kids did great, we were very proud of them.
IMG_0574.JPG

Back to Disney. I was FINALLY able to get a California Grill Brunch ADR, I think I tried 4 different times to grab a Touring Plans reservation alerts. They either released more reservations or someone cancelled a bunch of reservations because last night I received 3 different alerts. It's a little earlier than I was hoping, I really wanted something around 11:30, since our flight departs at 4:30 but it will have to do. I still do have a touring plan alert for 11:30, just in case something comes up.

Last night I had gone to bed so happy, then this morning I see @NJlauren's PTR update where she points out the GIANT AP price increase and now I'm just sad again. I just looked at my savings spreadsheet and our savings would only be about $90 with the new price increase. Such a sad day.

Good Morning everyone! We are only 53 days away from our trip. We are all so very excited about our trip.

I was able to make our fastpasses while on vacation and everything went well. I'll share details in the next few post as I finalize our plans.

We had a wonderful time in Colorado, I was there for a work conference and my family came along. They were able to enjoy some of Denver's attractions while I was at the conference. Their favorite, by far, was the Nature and Science Museum. Once I was done with the conference we drove higher into the mountains and spent the next 3 days camping at 10,000'. And yes, when I say camping I do mean tent camping. One of my coworkers couldn't believe that we actually camped in a tent, to her camping means staying in a cabin. We did bring air mattresses so we had one comfort, but we didn't have running water or electricity. She asked to see a picture of our tent.
View attachment 409910
We really enjoyed being up in the mountains, we will be doing more camping for sure.
View attachment 409909

It was so beautiful and peaceful, we tried to hike Mt. Sherman, one of the 14ers, but had to turn around at 12,600' because there was just too much snow and it was getting late. We probably could have pushed on a little further but our little one (she's 8) said she was getting lightheaded and we definitely didn't want to deal with altitude sickness. It was a 4 mile round trip hike and our kids did great, we were very proud of them.
View attachment 409908

Back to Disney. I was FINALLY able to get a California Grill Brunch ADR, I think I tried 4 different times to grab a Touring Plans reservation alerts. They either released more reservations or someone cancelled a bunch of reservations because last night I received 3 different alerts. It's a little earlier than I was hoping, I really wanted something around 11:30, since our flight departs at 4:30 but it will have to do. I still do have a touring plan alert for 11:30, just in case something comes up.

Last night I had gone to bed so happy, then this morning I see @NJlauren's PTR update where she points out the GIANT AP price increase and now I'm just sad again. I just looked at my savings spreadsheet and our savings would only be about $90 with the new price increase. Such a sad day.
This looks like an amazing trip!!! But I am so not a camper!!

Yahooo for the brunch reservation!

Booo to me making you sad :(

Back for more detail update. I've been working on our day plans using Touring Plans, man I really hope they are right about the crowd levels.

Starting with travel day. Saturday

Our flight leaves at 8:50AM, it's about a 20 minute drive to the airport and we have TSA Pre-Check we'll probably leave the house at 7:20AM. This will be DD1's last time to hitch a Pre-Check ride with us. She turns 12 later this year and we will get her Global Entry, I can use my mom's credit card benefit to pay the $100 fee.
We have an hour layover in St. Louis, we will probably eat 410031 or maybe 410032
We are scheduled to land at 2:25PM. We'll catch DME to Pop Century, I still haven't scheduled DME, where we'll have to stop at the front desk to check in because we have a military room discount (they've never checked our military ID). We are booked in a standard room, as of right now I think I'm going to use Touring Plans to request the 60's Section first floor room, fingers crossed that the Skyliner will be running by then!

We'll spend some time in the Hippy Dippy pool.
Where we'll enjoy some of "Brick oven" Pizza from the food court. I had originally planned on going to Chef Art Smith's Homecoming but I think the girls will enjoy the pool more and we'll save money this way.
Picture credit WDW News

It will be early to bed since we will be an hour ahead, and waking up at 7AM (6AM our time) is going to be difficult for my crew.

Park day 1 at Magic Kingdom coming up next.

Yay on snagging a California Grill brunch ADR! :cheer2:

I read about the AP price hikes...not good.

Your arrival day plans sound great...looking forward to reading about the rest of your plans.

Day 1, Sunday - Magic Kingdom
According to TP - Crowd Lever for MK is 3 🤞 that their predictions are close.

The plan is to wake up at 7AM and have a light breakfast in the room. I plan to pack some bagels and peanut butter. The goal is to be at the bus stop by 8AM for a 9AM park opening.

My Touring Plan has us becoming Galactic heroes by defeating Zurg. After that we'll head over to the jungles to see the backside of water before we visit some Pirates. We'll use our first FP+ to drop into Briar Patch to relive this moment:
or maybe this one

Then we'll have breakfast with Pooh and Friends, this will be our first visit to Crystal Palace. Our official ADR is at 10:40AM.

After a late breakfast in the Hundred Acre Woods we'll visit our favorite mine to visit some Dwarfs for our 11:45AM FP+. At around 12:50PM we'll blast into Space using our last scheduled FP+. My goal after we tap into Space is to get a FP+ to speed away into Tomorrowland.
Then we'll mosey along to grab one of these:
And one of these

After our bellies are happy, we'll visit some friendly ghost on our way to the wild west on the rail carts. We'll be ready for a nap back in our room. If I can get a late FP+ for FOP we'll head to AK in the evening to grab dinner at Satu'li Canteen.
Go enjoy the new Rivers of Light with one of these including some coconut rum for the adults.

Then we'll hit the sack because we have a very early morning!

Great first day! Love the cones I want them allllll!

Your there two weeks before me! So following to see how your plans compare!

I hope you grab same day FoP!!

Day 2 - Monday - Hollywood Studios - TSL EMM Day!
The goal is to be at the bus stop at 6:30AM. We'll need lots of coffee for this morning.
I'll pack some granola bars and eat those on the way.
We want to be at the front of the line, Dash to be on the first cart. Then we'll head on over for a few rounds on TSMM, back to ride our favorite dog ride as many times as possible before the masses arrive. We'll ride some aliens right before the RD crowds arrive, then we'll go to the street of Los Angeles for a concert. We'll have to trek all the way to the other side of the park for some breakfast, then walk all.the.way.back for our first FP+ at a frightful Tower, followed by a second roller coaster ride.

We'll head back to TSL to use our 3rd FP+ at TSMM. Being afternoon we'll be needed some snacks...
what are the best snacks at DHS? With snacks in hand we'll watch an Epic Stunt show. We'll need to kill some time before our super late Sci-fi lunch ADR @ 2:55PM - it's all I could get 😢. I keep checking for something closer to 2PM.
I hope we have time to stop by and see some of our favorite mice

If we aren't too tired we'll try to catch some shows, it will be like a million degrees so we'll want to be inside. Maybe Beauty & the Beast, if not we'll head back to Pop Century to rest and swim. We'll be back in the late evening to watch Fantasmic! We've never seen it before so I want to make a point to see it this time.
We don't have dinner plans, any suggestions? Best Quick Service at DHS?

Day 3 Tuesday - AK & transfer to YC

Should we wake up early and transfer our stuff using Uber to YC at about 7:00AM? We could take advantage of CL breakfast before heading to AK. Or just take our stuff to the front and have it transferred?

I want to be at the gates around 8:30 to RD Navi, but if we don't make it we won't be too sad. We want to be there close to open but we just need to be there our first Expedition at 9:30AM, maybe ride it twice.
The second FP+ is for Kali River Rapids at 10:30, our oldest is name Cali.
Our Banshee flight is scheduled for 11:30, I'm hoping we can stop by Satu'li's before FOP, I really like Satu'lis.
We'll try to see some prehistoric predators.

Am I the only one else sad that they've added all those crazy border and extras to the ride pictures?
We'll stay until I can no longer get Fastpasses. The plan is to have dinner at the Club Lounge and enjoy Stormalong Bay.
Day 4 is a rest day. We'll be happy to have spend the day enjoying the pool and the lounge offerings.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd be up for the camping, but otherwise your trip to Colorado looks great!!!! We love to hike too, but have never been in "real" mountains just the East coast version.

Awesome that you got California Grill. I've got a touring plan finder set up too (we're looking to go the 11th) but no luck yet.

Your plans all sound great so far. We've made our FPs too but I haven't gotten too much further than that. As far as your questions.
MGM Snacks - They aren't as good as most other parks but I love the carrot cake cookie at the Starbucks. I'm pretty sure they sell the cream cheese pretzel somewhere too

Club Level - If you have club level at Yacht club I would most definitely uber there and take advantage of the free breakfast. One of the best parts of being there (except for the drinks at night of course)

Yay for the Cali Grill brunch!

In HS, right by Indy, Oasis Canteen has funnel cake sundaes (strawberry or cookies and cream) that look awesome.

For HS QS dinner, we were pleasantly surprised by the Cuban and chicken and biscuits at Backlot. Nothing incredible but, with the reputation that park has for bad QS, I was expecting much worse.

I'm not sure I'd be up for the camping, but otherwise your trip to Colorado looks great!!!! We love to hike too, but have never been in "real" mountains just the East coast version.
We aren't big campers but somehow we manage to camp once a year, usually in Arkansas - it's so pretty there.
It's funny because as it turns out we've been to Colorado 3 times in the last 4 years. But no one says "you're going to Colorado again?" like they say when I tell them we're going to Disney again.
I'm pretty sure they sell the cream cheese pretzel somewhere too
I'm going to have to do more research on where to find that cream cheese pretzel.
Club Level - If you have club level at Yacht club I would most definitely uber there and take advantage of the free breakfast. One of the best parts of being there (except for the drinks at night of course)
I just checked and it's less than $10 to Uber over to the YC, thats totally worth it.
I've got a touring plan finder set up too (we're looking to go the 11th) but no luck yet.
Hopefully things will start coming available now that people have their FPs and are nailing down their plans. We'll be at MK that day, our first park day.
In HS, right by Indy, Oasis Canteen has funnel cake sundaes (strawberry or cookies and cream) that look awesome.
Sundae funnel cake?!?!? Two of my favorite things. Might just have to find it.
For HS QS dinner, we were pleasantly surprised by the Cuban and chicken and biscuits at Backlot. Nothing incredible but, with the reputation that park has for bad QS, I was expecting much worse.
Thanks for the recommendation, I think Backlot will be our go to place if we do dinner there.

Wednesday, Resort Day, vacation day 5.
No plans for this day, just need to be up before 10AM to grab some breakfast at the lounge. Hopefully the summer storms stay away and we can enjoy the pool. I don't want to make any lunch plans as I don't know how the day will turn out. I'm sure we can find something quick on the boardwalk. Dinner will be CL lounge again and then early to bed as we're going to try to make it to Epcot EMHs. I'll have to pack up and get ready to move over to CR.

Thursday, Park day #4. Epcot
I know this is an unpopular opinion, but Epcot is our least favorite park. I am having second thoughts on our Epcot day. Epcot has PM EMH on Tuesday, if we can make it over there after dinner and ride all the rides that night I might make Thursday another DHS day. This would allow us to sleep in another hour and ride some of our favorite rides (RnR & ToT). Hopefully ToT is back to full capacity because all the ToT FP+ are gone for that day.

I'm really not liking the touring plan that TP has optimized. It has us starting with SE?! What the heck? We'll be coming in from IG and it has us walking all the way to the front to ride SE during EMH, that's just a waste of precious time.

I have no idea what I was thinking when I schedule our fastpasses, we have Test Track 9:30, SE 10:55, Character Spot at 12:30. I think when I saw that Character Spot had become a Tier2 I meant to modify our SE but instead I modified Mission Space and I wasn't able to get an earlier time for CS.

Any good recommendations for a good touring plan for Epcot? We do want to have lunch at WS, probably Tangierine Cafe.

I have us checking into CR at 3PM, our room should be ready and we can relax a bit before our 5:30 Story Book ADR.

We'll probably go to a park after dinner, we'll let the girls pick.

Happy Wednesday everyone,

On my lunch break so I'll try to finish the last 3 days of our trip as they aren't as packed as the first half. But first a very important update. I was able to grab a Beaches & Cream reservation for our rest/pool day. My kiddos are going to be sooo happy. They were totally looking forward to The Kitchen Sink, I think I'll keep this a surprise.

Friday, MNSHHP

We plan to sleep in on this day and have late breakfast at Ohana's, we've had dinner there twice but never breakfast. DD1 LOVES Stitch, she's excited about this one.

We'll walk over to MK right at 4PM to meet Mickey & Minnie at Town Square. Our other 2 FPs are for SDMT & Splash. We'll try to get in as many rides as possible. I will probably pack us some PB&Js, we don't want to eat a full dinner as I was able to get Cruella's Halloween Hide-a-away reservations during the price glitch. We'll check in right at 9, grab some snacks and drink before we make our way to the hub to watch the new firework show. After the show we'll hit the trick-o-treat lines until around 11PM when we head over to the parade reservations viewing area. After the parade, we might try to get in a few more rides or just hang out with Cruella until 12:30AM.

Saturday, last park day.

Today we'll start off at AK, with the same 3 FPs are earlier in the week; FOP, KRR & EE. Our first FP starts at 9:35, I don't know why I made it so early, we'll just have to be there by 10AM. After we've had enough we'll go back to CR to take a loooong nap. We just need to be at Skipper's Canteen by 6PM. We'll close out MK, which as of today is scheduled to close at 9PM.

Sunday, DH's bday & travel day.

We'll sleep in until the last possible minute, pack up and get dressed for DH's Birthday Brunch at California Grill. Our flight is scheduled to depart at 4:00PM. That should give us 2 hours to enjoy our meal.

Then somehow manage to make it to work on Monday. We are going to be soooo tired! And the girls start school on Wednesday. THE END

Last edited:
I'm going to have to do more research on where to find that cream cheese pretzel.
I'm pretty sure its at a cart just to the left of the Chinese Theater. I haven't had it there so I can't confirm, but that is what I recall

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but Epcot is our least favorite park. I am having second thoughts on our Epcot day. Epcot has PM EMH on Tuesday, if we can make it over there after dinner and ride all the rides that night I might make Thursday another DHS day.
Too funny we are the exact opposite. I was actually contemplating no days in MGM but Casey wanted to do slinky dog once.

Friday, MNSHHP
We'll be looking down on your from California Grill. Have dinner here so we can see the new Halloween fireworks.

Cruella's Halloween Hide-a-away reservations during the price glitch.
What is this? I've never heard of it

Today we'll start off at AK, with the same 3 FPs are earlier in the week; FOP, KRR & EE. Our first FP starts at 9:35
I'll have to keep an eye out for ya. We'll be in AK this same day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter