Is I-pass compatible with E-pass or Sun Pass yet?

jenhelgren

DIS Veteran
We have an Illinois I-Pass. Will we be able to use it with the E-pass or the Sun pass system this October? What is the difference between E-pass and Sun Pass? We will be driving from Hilton Head to Vero Beach and then Vero Beach to Orlando on the way home. In the past we have bought the $5 card from Sun Pass because it saves quite a bit in a rental with all their fees tacked on. It looks like E-pass has free transmitters and maybe we should have been doing that instead??? Thanks for any insight on this--the rental companies charge a fortune if you don't have a plan on your own so I want to be sure we know what to do before we leave!!

E-Pass is the transponder of CFXway, which is the regional toll agency in the Orlando area. SunPass is the transponder of Florida's Turnpike Enterprise. In the Orlando area, some stretches of toll roads are operated by CFXway, and other stretches by the Turnpike (in addition to the Turnpike itself.) They can be identified by the signage at the toll booths, which will say either E-Pass or SunPass (the other may appear underneath in smaller type.) E-Pass and SunPass are fully interoperable within FL.

I'm assuming I-Pass is an E-ZPass member. E-ZPass is now recognized and accepted in the Orlando area only at E-Pass toll booths, but not at SunPass toll booths. There's an FAQ and map here. Any toll roads in FL outside of the Orlando area will not accept E-ZPass. Traveling between MCO & WDW, E-ZPass is accepted on 417 from MCO to the International Dr./Epcot exit, but not beyond, and is not accepted on the 528 Beach Line.

You can order an E-Pass sticker for free, but it's not really intended for rental car use, so I doubt they would give you a second one for free in the future.

I'm not sure about Sun Pass now, but YEARS ago my I-Pass transponder did not work while on the Florida Turnpike.

However, it did work with E-Z Pass a few weeks ago when I drove home from Monticello, New York via I-80. Instead of going through the E-Z Pass only toll booths .. I went through the booths with a person standing there and I just handed them my I-Pass transponder.

The I-Pass is part of the E-ZPass network. Up until September 1 there were no EZ-Pass tolls in FL but that changed. See this page for compatible systems.

According to this map you can't get all the say to WDW using E-ZPass

CFX just announced that they will be selling a new "E-Pass Xtra" transponder starting Oct. 1 that will work on all toll roads in FL and on all E-ZPass roads. It will cost $18.50. No further information has been released. I'm guessing it will be portable, but they haven't said.

I know it doesn't help those who already have an E-ZPass compatible transponder, but just putting out the info.

The only two pre-paid toll programs and transponders currently accepted in the statewide are as follows:

SunPass - https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml
E-Pass - https://epass.cfxway.com/EpassWeb/

The "E-Zpass" mentioned by previous posters is currently only accepted inside the Central Florida region on toll roads operated by the Central Florida Expressway Authority, it would not work outside of Central Florida unfortuneatly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter