is flying into and out of LAX really that bad?

pmaurer74

DIS Veteran
My DH does not want to fly into LAX even though it would save a lot of money and they have better flight times. he prefers the Orange County airport but I cannot seem to find any deals. Is LAX really that bad?

Take this with a grain of salt, because I've only flown into and out of there on a connecting flight, and that was 10 years ago. The flight was....memorable, to say the least. We left Seattle in November, dressed accordingly, with our toddler, baby in a stroller, and car seats for both. Had a quick connection several terminals away. They don't have a nice tram, like most other multiple terminal airports I've been too...their website says they have a shuttle, although when we flew in we were told that we just needed to walk to get to the next terminal. (Staff was not at all helpful). Needless to say...dressed for winter, in summer like conditions, with 2 littles and loaded down...that was the longest walk of our lives. To this day, I think LAX is probably the worst domestic airport we've flown into or out of (although Heathrow was definitely worse, and San Francisco is far scarier- steep descent landing!!!). That said...we don't choose airports for their ease, we choose it for it's convenience towards where we go and/or price. In this case, we'll be flying into LAX this summer because of cost (even a $50 difference adds up when there are 4 of you), although the OC airport is closer to Disneyland. So...if I were making a pro/con chart: OC is closer (if you're headed to DL, rather than somewhere else first) and a smaller airport. LAX will offer you more flights especially if you are flying out of a smaller airport, or have specific airlines you want to choose or to avoid, and it will save you money. For us, in this case, flight times and cost are the 2 big considerations.
I can't speak to traffic in or out of the airport- will you be driving, or taking some other transportation? Looking at them both, It definitely looks like OC would be friendlier to drive out of, if that's a factor (and if you are driving, your comfort in driving in big cities) If you're taking a shuttle, it would be slightly cheaper from OC to Disneyland, but not as much as the price difference for flights...

thanks. We will be taking a shuttle. Right now the cost difference is nearly 2k unless we change our dates but the flight times are not as good... like landing at 1am EST with 2 little ones.

I guess bad is relative. I don't mind it. It is very large, but I've been to other large airports. Lots of walking, but it is what it is. Rental cars are 10 or so minutes away by shuttle. More traffic to enter and exit, but I had no trouble with 2 kids and a rental car. For us, it was also much cheaper to fly into LA.

If you don't deal well with crowds, LAX is not for you. If I can get good airfare out of SNA (John Wayne airport for us locals), I prefer SNA over LAX. It's an obviously much smaller airport than LAX, as it offers only domestic flights, so less people. But because of extra taxes or whatnot that increase fares for flights out of SNA, I'm usually driving an extra 45 min. north to fly out of LAX.

LAX is not bad to fly into or out of, just more congested. It covers both domestic and international flights.

Last edited:
I prefer Long Beach, but if there is a significant cost savings or better flight (prefer non-stop), I use LAX.

LAX is fine and I would definitely chose it over a nearby airport to save $2,000!

To the poster who said SFO was scary, what?? I have flown in and out of there many, many times and never had a steep, scary descent.

Ive been flying into and out of LAX for about 10 years. I've taken both domestic and international flights, changed terminals, got airport shuttles, walked between terminals and so much more.

It is what it it is, a large very busy international hub airport. Plan in advance, research the airport, check the terminal online maps. Know which terminal your airline operates from, do online advance checkin, make things easy for yourself for the TSA check. Allow extra time before your flight.

If flying into LAX saves that huge amount of money, then to me, there is no question about NOT flying through LAX :)

If your final destination is LAX it is not that bad but changing terminals IS a pain at LAX. There are courtesy shuttles for car rentals and shared ride vans etc at the curb outside of baggage claim. Cabs are relatively easy to come by. I live in LA north of LAX and have flown in and out of Long Beach and Burbank airports when it is more cost effective or for a particular flight that I wanted. Smaller airports are definitely easier to drive in and out of but not worth the significant price differential IMHO.

Right now the cost difference is nearly 2k unless we change our dates but the flight times are not as good... .
In my opinion a $2,000 savings is worth the difference between crowd and airport size. That's a LOT of money saved.

Sorry, I did not mean that we would choose to spend the 2k more to fly into the orange county airport but more like it would be flying into LAX or not going at all. I am not spending 2k more than I have to!

Sorry, I did not mean that we would choose to spend the 2k more to fly into the orange county airport but more like it would be flying into LAX or not going at all. I am not spending 2k more than I have to!

wow, I can't believe someone could make a choice not to go on a holiday based solely on an AIRPORT!!! A holiday is DAYS of enjoyment, an airport is somewhere you are for a couple of HOURS!! Suck it up, prepare in advance and just book the LAX flights, its just plain ridiculous and unreasonable in my opinion

wow, I can't believe someone could make a choice not to go on a holiday based solely on an AIRPORT!!! A holiday is DAYS of enjoyment, an airport is somewhere you are for a couple of HOURS!! Suck it up, prepare in advance and just book the LAX flights, its just plain ridiculous and unreasonable in my opinion
That is not what I meant. I am saying that based upon the airfare we cannot afford to fly into orange county airport. So it is either LAX or not going at all. The airfare is still expensive into LAX and the ones we can afford are not good times. So, if the flight times are bad for us then yes we may choose to not go at this time. I do not think that is unreasonable.

If you're taking the shuttle then I don't see the problem. LAX is bigger and it will take longer walking around and getting your luggage, but nothing beyond that.

I do love flying in and out of Orange County...

That being said, I've also flown in and out of LAX to visit Orange County, typically on Delta. The Delta terminal is not that big and in general, I did not find the airport at all overwhelming. I assume each terminal is generally similar to the Delta terminal. Bags and such also not a big deal.

Honestly, I've never had bad traffic getting in to or out of LAX either. I don't know if this luck, timing, or what.

Anyways, I wouldn't hesitate to fly through LAX.

Flying into LAX for a LAS transfer.... my main complaint is the terminal change.
  • The A shuttle to change terminals was kinda frustrating to find and to locate the bus stop. It's worse if you can't read English. Do I need to take my luggage to the connecting flight or is it transferred automatically?
  • I'm getting off a plane that I've already been cleared me by security... for a terminal change... YOU WANT ANOTHER luggage, weapons, body, hand, cavity search???!!! This adds to my travel delays!
No wonder LAX has poor ratings...
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/business/20141129/gizmodo-names-lax-one-of-americas-worst-airports

I am saying that based upon the airfare we cannot afford to fly into orange county airport. So it is either LAX or not going at all.
Between not going at all and flying into LAX I believe you will find that LAX is not bad.

That being said, I've also flown in and out of LAX to visit Orange County, typically on Delta. The Delta terminal is not that big and in general, I did not find the airport at all overwhelming. I assume each terminal is generally similar to the Delta terminal. Bags and such also not a big deal.

Honestly, I've never had bad traffic getting in to or out of LAX either. I don't know if this luck, timing, or what.

If you really want to go somewhere, I don't necessarily consider choice of airport a deal breaker.

As much as we talk up SNA for being closer to DL, more convenient, and easier to handle, it's a small airport. It will have fewer flights coming in from fewer destinations. Often it will cost more than using another area airport and/or require a transfer somewhere else. It's great if you can find a great fare and your home airport connects non-stop. There are simply going to be a lot more nonstops going to LAX from more locations. That convenience may outweigh the issues with LAX from being so big.

LAX has 7 times the passenger volume of SNA, so of course there will be far more options.

All the terminals are completely different. That can be one of the frustrations of LAX. From an arrival standpoint it's not a big deal, but when departing the time of day and the terminal can be the difference between arriving 90 minutes before a flight and comfortably making it to your gate and 3 hours early and rushing to your gate.

Flying into LAX for a LAS transfer.... my main complaint is the terminal change.
  • The A shuttle to change terminals was kinda frustrating to find and to locate the bus stop. It's worse if you can't read English. Do I need to take my luggage to the connecting flight or is it transferred automatically?
  • I'm getting off a plane that I've already been cleared me by security... for a terminal change... YOU WANT ANOTHER luggage, weapons, body, hand, cavity search???!!! This adds to my travel delays!
No wonder LAX has poor ratings...
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/business/20141129/gizmodo-names-lax-one-of-americas-worst-airports
If you are arriving on an international flight and LAX is your first entry into the U.S., then yes, I believe you have to claim your luggage and recheck it. If you're only flying domestic it will depend on how you booked your tickets if they can check it through to your destination when you check in for the first flight. What airlines are you taking? It might be easier to just walk between terminals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!