• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is early Dec a good time to go?!!

Debs Hill

DIS Veteran
I am considering early Dec, before the kids break up, is this a good time to go?? What are the crowds and weather like? What does DLP do for Xmas? How does it compare to WDW? How many days would you recommend for a first visit?!
Debsx

Hi!

Christmas at DLP is fantastic - the main park in particular is beautifully decorated. There are Christmas shows, the Christmas parade, the Enchanted Fairytale Ceremony (tree-lighting), Fantillusion (night-time parade), Christmas market, Belle's Christmas village, plus you can meet Santa and lots of the other characters in Christmas dress. There are lots of nice touches like carollers on Main Street and "snow" falling.

If you go during term time, the park will not be too crowded as long as you go during the week. The weekends are entirely different though - be warned!!! We went 11th December last year, which was a Saturday - the park was absolutely packed at the weekend - over an hour for all rides, Fastpasses gone by lunch and we couldn't find ANYWHERE to eat till 3.30pm!! Yet for the rest of the week, it was absolutely fine - we were able to walk onto most rides without much of a wait at all. So if you can avoid the weekends and any time when the kids are on holiday you will be fine.

We've been 3 times now, and each time we go for 4 nights. For a first time visit, especially for Christmas, I think you would need this long to do everything. Although of course it depends on how many of the rides you want to do, how many of the shows you want to see and how much shopping you want to do!

There is one negative point - the weather! It was absolutely FREEZING! :cold: Really unbearably cold - we were wearing as many layers as we possibly could and were still really cold. In fact it was so cold that I don't think we'd go in December again - this year we're going on November 6th - the Christmas festivities start on 5th November so we'll still get to go to the park in the Christmas season, and for the Bonfire celebrations, and hopefully it'll be a bit warmer!

Anyway hope that gives you some idea, of course it's just my opinion but if you have any other questions please ask!

Rhiannon :wizard:

went last year 1-3rd Dec before the school holidays (wed-sat) and it was great. Virtually walked onto all the rides especially first thing in the morning when you could get off then straight back on BUT as is said above, come Saturday..... horrendous! where did they all come from? :rotfl2:
We were well wrapped up but only got really cold when it rained. Planned to go to the studios if the weather was bad as there is more under cover there. My kids loved the fake snow and hubby thought it was real for a whole day :rotfl: The Christmas decs were fab
GO

We always go every December or very late November. Its the most magical time of the year in DLRP, especially for kids. If you go during the week, its great and quiet but busier at the weekends. some people prefer the atmosphere when its busy but I love being able to walk on the rides and do them again and again if I want to. Sequoia lodge is lovely in winter, the Disneyland Hotel is my favourite if money is not an issue, but Sequoia is really Christmassy too. I loveDLRP in winter and cant imagine Christmas without a visit. You will love it, just wrap up well and invest in good thermals! :rotfl2:

Christmas time is magical at the Parks.
Have only ever been in November, which we enjoy as it is an early boost to get into Christmas spirit.
As others have said weekends, especially Saturdays are busy.

Reid

Debs Hill- We went in early January and the Xmas decorations were still up but we had the advantage of kids going free.Weather was similar to December- absolutely freezing.DH got an ear infection despite always wearing a hat.December would be a lovely time to visit to get you in the Xmas mood but be warned about the weather.
DisneyRGB- Planning to do exactly the same as you by arriving on 6th November so we get the best of both worlds-fireworks(which my boys LOVE)and Xmas festivities to get us into Xmas mode.

We've been once in late Nov and once in late Dec - it was good but it was so cold and the park closes early. We'd consider going again for the Christmas Day period just to see what it's like but other than that we vowed to keep our DLRP holidays to warmer weather - it's just too cold.

We've been twice late november early december and it was magical. Queues were hardly noticeable even on the big rides. A couple of days last year the weather wasn't too cold but it was freezing by the end of the week. I've found both times that me and DH moan about the cold but the children just get on with it and it doesn't bother them.

tmp said:
Planning to do exactly the same as you by arriving on 6th November so we get the best of both worlds-fireworks(which my boys LOVE)and Xmas festivities to get us into Xmas mode.

I'm tempted by this too - mainly because you get both 'seasons' - anyone done similar in teh past - I realise that the Xmas season is suppose to kickoff on the 5th Nov, but will it be in full-swing?

Iain Chapman said:
I'm tempted by this too - mainly because you get both 'seasons' - anyone done similar in teh past - I realise that the Xmas season is suppose to kickoff on the 5th Nov, but will it be in full-swing?

When we went in 2003 in December the full Crimbo season didn't kick-off until 5th December - you don't get the full compliment of Crimbo shows till then, nor the Bavarian Market in Disney Village.

According to DLP brochure from 5th November there will be:
Mickey's Winter Wonderland
Belle's Christmas Village
Christmas Parade
Fantillusion(which is on from 16th July until 28th August but is not on again til 5th Nov)
I think decorations and the tree will be up-hope so.

Was the Enchanted Fairytale Ceremony just a one year wonder last year? I didn't see it the year before when we went and it's not in the brochure for this year. It was certainly very popular .

If you haven't already booked, did you know that for arrivals on the 1st, 3rd and 6th November, you get a free upgrade - pay for the Cheyenne and get the Sequoia, pay for the Seqouia and get Newport Bay, pay for Newport Bay and get Hotel New York.

I think there's one show and the Christmas market which don't start till early December - but having seen the Christmas market it wasn't that special, and the weather in December was just too cold. :cold: All the other Christmas stuff will start on 5th November.

Rhiannon

Thanks DisneyRGB.Had read that on another thread-I think it was diberrys thread about Sequoia Lodge.
Hoping to book in the next couple of weeks.Pricing it up I can get 2 nights(2 adults and 2 kids)by eurostar for £794 by booking through Disney.Was planning to use some Tesco clubcard vouchers and book with Cresta or Bridge but it totals at £150 more expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter