Is Disneyland as magical as Disney World ?

Are you saying that you think it's a step up or a step down from a Hilton? Or just altogether different?
That it’s better for sure all around. I get that it’s a tower hotel, but that’s where the comparisons end for me. Most Hilton’s don’t have a glorious tiki bar in the middle of it. The rooms are very comfortable with whimsical touches. The lobbies are great, themed for fans of Disneyland specifically. Steakhouse 55 is fantastic any time of day. There’s a lot of history here, this thing isn’t an airport convenience between destinations. Also, generally, the service is better than most places unless you’re at a Waldorf or something.

Short answer - yes.

I realize this is a little Disneyland corner in a great big forum site that’s primarily geared towards Disney World, but some of the answers on here make me sad. I don’t see the need to pit DLR and WDW against each other at all, because they are too different to be fairly compared. I also was a DLR local AP holder for a few years and in many, many visits can’t remember ever noticing/hearing the outside world while in the parks except at the top of ToT and Screamin. (I realize both of these have new names/themes now; I haven’t been since they switched.)

My own thoughts - Disneyland is Walt’s park. It’s bursting with magic. It’s my home park and always will be my first Disney love. When I was a local, DLR was my little escape into the magic. I will find magic there whether I’m visiting for 2 hours or 5 days, and I may never stay on site. It is not just a local theme park. Knotts - which I also have fond memories of - is that.

However, I also love Disney World for completely different reasons. Epcot is just amazing. I love the resorts. Animal Kingdom is unique and fantastic. I find magic there, too.

They can both be magical. I don’t feel the need to insult either experience to make the other seem superior. I love them both.

Word.

Both are magic, but different magic. Like Tink's fairy magic compared to Periwinkle's fairy magic or something like that. ;)

I've done Disneyland annually since 2006 and 2 WDW trips. Have been a Paris passholder for over 10 years too, but I am letting that pass expire this year.

The last WDW trip was 2 years ago. It wasn't bad by any means. Just different. I came over to Anaheim after that trip and when one of my local Californian friends texted me asking if I had fun my reply was: "Yes, but I am ready to come home."

In WDW it always felt like I was running from A to B. Not that I mind that, chasing after villains back in the day in DCA was one of my favorite things to do. I had a blast and would never put that down over my "stop to smell the roses" park Disneyland where I will happily hang out in New Orleans Square a full day just to follow the Bootstrappers and hear them play.

Having been to Disney World a couple of years ago and Universal this year, and having had a wonderful time at both, we’d really like to repeat the experience next year.

It seems too soon, though, to return to those parks so we’re considering Disneyland.

There are a few things putting me off though.

One of the magical things about Disney World (and to a lesser extent, Universal) is that the size and layout mean you can shut out the real world and live the fantasy (particularly if you stay on site).

The fact that Disneyland has the urban jungle right up against the walls really puts me off.

What do others think? Did you manage to immerse yourself in the Disney fantasy?
Just found this thread and am not going to read all 100 answers. So here is mine.

Disney magic can be defined differently by different people, I guess. If shutting out the real world is your definition, then DLR will fall short. However, I think that is an unfortunate definition. After all, Disneyland is the only park in the world personally built by Walt Disney. By any reasonable definition, DL should the standard of what Disney magic is. For me (and most others), DL is easily the best theme park in the entire world. WDW as a resort has more to offer in many ways. But DLR has unique things not at WDW, including the best show (World of Color) and best stage show (Frozen) plus a better Fantasmic show. Plus, when it is running, by far the best parade (Paint the Night).

Further, it has better weather - especially in the summer.

Bottom line is DLR has all the magic that WDW has by most definitions.

:wizard:

I grew up going to DL, was an AP when I lived in SoCal, never been to WDW. I'm planning a long DL trip for the first time ever- most of my visits to DL have been day trips. I love that you can do so much in even just a few hours at DL. From everything I've read, that doesn't really seem doable at WDW. I may want to give WDW a try one day, but DL has always seemed more affordable to me, mostly because I don't NEED to spend a whole week there to come away with a magical experience. Last time I was in DL, we had a late character breakfast, rode maybe 5 rides, watched the parade, met Tinkerbell, enjoyed the BB. It wasn't everyone's definition of perfect. We definitely took the time to smell the roses. But it was still magical. I've never been to DL and NOT had a wonderful time.

I had never even heard of this "bubble" thing until I'd started reading this and other Disney forums. I've still been confused by it, because to me the bubble or the magic is what happens in the park- it's the Disney experience in the park, in the moment. I don't mean any disrespect, but if you're taking the time to be bothered by outside interference (like city noise, or homeless people- poor things!- or seeing a street on the monorail, or whatever else takes you 'out of the bubble') then perhaps your focus has shifted. It's like going to Venice and only remembering the pigeons instead of the amazing architecture. If you are looking for the magic, you will find it!

For me the magic is in seeing the Castle or Spaceship Earth and losing myself in the park. It has nothing to do with walking, or transportation, or the resort, or trimmings. WDW is certainly more of a vacation resort. No argument. But I feel some people are confusing luxuries with magic

I love how you make this distinction between luxury and magic. This makes sense to me. I guess it's a matter of your priorities for a vacation. Am I here to experience the amusement park, or to be pampered at the hotel?

So, if a wonderful vacation to you means you need LUXURY, spend the moolah to stay at the GCH, pay for the extra club perks, insist on valet and a bell hop. You can have a resort experience in CA, too, if that's what magic means to you.

They can both be magical. I don’t feel the need to insult either experience to make the other seem superior. I love them both.

I think this is the perfect mindset! No need to compare, just enjoy!

... if you're taking the time to be bothered by... whatever else takes you 'out of the bubble') then perhaps your focus has shifted. It's like going to Venice and only remembering the pigeons instead of the amazing architecture. If you are looking for the magic, you will find it!..
Yup. We say this repeatedly here: Disney can do everything in their power to make the magic at DLR, but if I refuse to see it (for whatever reason), then that's on me if my trip isn't very magical. If I am too blinded by comparisons, frustrations, complaining, unrealistic expectations, etc., then the magic could be showering down all around me, but I won't be able to see it. Whether you visit DLR or WDW, go with open eyes, an open mind, and an open heart -- and ENJOY the magic that is unique to each place!

Last edited:

Yup. We say this repeatedly here: Disney can do everything in their power to make the magic at DLR, but if I refuse to see it (for whatever reason), then that's on me if my trip isn't very magical. If I am too blinded by comparisons, frustrations, complaining, unrealistic expectations, etc., then the magic could be showering down all around me, but I won't be able to see it. Whether you visit DLR or WDW, go with open eyes, an open mind, and an open heart -- and ENJOY the magic that is unique to each place!

100% the way I look at it. It reminds me of this family that was on Jungle Cruise and was visibly irritated with the ride the entire time to the point that the Skipper offered them free fastpasses at the end and they refused them and stormed off. That attitude is not going to find the magic

100% the way I look at it. It reminds me of this family that was on Jungle Cruise and was visibly irritated with the ride the entire time to the point that the Skipper offered them free fastpasses at the end and they refused them and stormed off. That attitude is not going to find the magic
Did they just not like the ride or what?

What do you think their problem was? That's odd.

We are WDW veterans with at least twelve trips under our belts. We just moved to San Diego, and did our first Disneyland trip the weekend before the fourth. We loved it. We stayed across the street and it was definitely not as magical, but after walking to the Grand Californian and the Disneyland Hotel, I definitely think if you stayed at one of those hotels you’d feel the magic of the Disney bubble. We felt that you could focus on getting more done since their are only two parks and we loved not wasting time with Disney transportation. The food is better at Disneyland.

Disney World will always be our number one- so many happy memories, but we are going to thoroughly enjoy having the park that Walt built in our backyard!

Another magical aspect for us during our first Disneyland visit was my 8 year old pointing out all of these things Walt did when he opened the park, that she learned in a book about Walt Disney. She pointed out this rock near the castle that Walt was photographed sitting on near opening day, and couldn’t wait to get as close to it as we could. She kept exclaiming “Walt sat on THAT rock mommy, that rock RIGHT there.”

She was so excited and it was at that moment it really hit me that we were walking the same steps Walt had.... pretty emotional for this Disney fanatic.

Disneyland is the park Walt built and regularly attended. It is the ultimate in Disney magic.
^^^^ This!!

WDW is my "home" and where we go the most (been around 25 times), but there is something about DL for the true Disney purist that WDW can't touch and that is Walt.

I have only been to DL once (and I am currently planning my second trip) but there is something really special and quaint about DL that has me itching to get back.

The best way for me to compare the two is that WDW is in your face magical, whereas DL is more subtle and "charming" with its magic.

^^^^ This!!

WDW is my "home" and where we go the most (been around 25 times), but there is something about DL for the true Disney purist that WDW can't touch and that is Walt.

That reminds me of a little story.

I'm in Europe, not too far away from Paris. I also collect pins.

At the first D23 Expo they released pins of Mickey with the different park castles. A friend wanted to be nice and tried to get me one as a gift. She picked up the Paris one saying she'd get me the one of my home park. Because Paris = close = home, right? Nope. ;)

Her young son took the pin out of her hand, put it back on the shelf and picked up the Disneyland pin. He told his mom: "She wouldn't be caught dead calling Paris her home park. Her home is here with us." Home is where the heart is.

My body was never so torn between "awwww" and giggling.

...The best way for me to compare the two is that WDW is in your face magical, whereas DL is more subtle and "charming" with its magic.
Exactly what Disney intended! As Tony Baxter says, "Disneyland was made to be charming. WDW was made to be awesome." They were never made to be identical, but they were both made to be magical. :)

Last edited:
If you're a big fan of Disney parks, I don't see any way not to appreciate the magic at Disneyland. I've been going since childhood and even worked there at one point, and I still see new details all the time and don't feel like I've run out of things to do. Obviously, it's the original "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" and there's a certain sense of magic in seeing Walt's apartment over the Main Street firehouse, or riding the original attractions that he oversaw. But Disneyland can be appreciated beyond its history -- in even just how much you can pack into a day there with less waiting. Or seeing Fantasmic on the Rivers of America. Or exploring the amazingly themed Cars Land.

So many fans want to pick sides between WDW and Disneyland, but the real answer is that if you're a fan, you're going to appreciate all of them. (I can't wait to visit the international parks too!) Why miss out on any of the magic at all by picking just one resort?

I'm a native Floridian who recently moved out west and while the parks are different, I really like the ease of planning a DLR trip compared to WDW. Yes, it is less immersive, but it is pretty relaxing compared to commando touring at The World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!