Is Disney World closure causing any fallout with the various college programs?

Just some follow up information. DD found out through the grapevine that she could go over to housing and get her graduation ears. She asked about her Blue ID and discounts and passes. She was told the following:
Keep your Blue ID
Passes and discounts are good till your end date
Access to the Hub will be active until your end date

None of this information was given freely, she had to ask.

The timing of all of this was unfortunate. Kids got paid on Thursday, many told me they went out and bought a ton of groceries, there goes that pay check. The next pay check should be for hours they actually worked, but many were told to leave during their shift, but I would assume they will still get paid for that day, but they won't see it until Thursday. What is also unknown is how much they will get paid till the end of the month. DCP only guarantees 28 hours, which is much less then they would usually work.

As as long time Disney fan and one who is a tuky here right now at BLT, Disney should end the program in the wake of closures and the virus. It’s very unlikely that WDW opens a time in the next 75 days. But I was shocked that how Disney handled this. As an executive in a company and I e who admires the Disney brand, they should have waited until Monday - and given the CPs until Friday.

All the college and universities in our state sent everyone home Friday afternoon. Less than 24 hours notice. Thousands of $ have been paid for tuitions, housing and meal plans. No help provided for travel.

It looks like they are going to pay out the rest of the month on Thursday- around 80 hours.

All the college and universities in our state sent everyone home Friday afternoon. Less than 24 hours notice. Thousands of $ have been paid for tuitions, housing and meal plans. No help provided for travel.
A lot of kids in GA were on Spring Break- NC schools were as well, so hopefully most of the kids were home already. The schools should give a prorated rate from room and board- some schools have already started doing that. Duke is packing up the dorm rooms for the kids and shipping it to them!

I was sitting in my DD's dorm room yesterday and debated packing everything up, but decided not to. UCF put the rest of the semester online today. Oh well, we will have to go back down and figure it out at some point I doubt UCF will do it for us, we don't pay as much as Duke kids!

It looks like they are going to pay out the rest of the month on Thursday- around 80 hours.
So the kids will receive a paycheck on Thursday for last week and then the next two weeks paid out at 40 hours per week? Am I reading that right?

My dd got her graduation ears too! Of course the picture of her in them, she has huge puffy eyes from her and all her roomies crying :(

Just some follow up information. DD found out through the grapevine that she could go over to housing and get her graduation ears. She asked about her Blue ID and discounts and passes. She was told the following:
Keep your Blue ID
Passes and discounts are good till your end date
Access to the Hub will be active until your end date

None of this information was given freely, she had to ask.

The timing of all of this was unfortunate. Kids got paid on Thursday, many told me they went out and bought a ton of groceries, there goes that pay check. The next pay check should be for hours they actually worked, but many were told to leave during their shift, but I would assume they will still get paid for that day, but they won't see it until Thursday. What is also unknown is how much they will get paid till the end of the month. DCP only guarantees 28 hours, which is much less then they would usually work.
My dd had to trash a bunch of food today too. So sad and she & I are both disgusted by waste so that didn't help her mood having to leave today.

So, hub access would mean they can still book CM room rates and use other discounts?

Duke has a ton of cases right now
That is from a group that was traveling/study abroad. The kids were away on Spring Break when Duke made the call to cancel in person classes. As far as I know (I am close to Duke) there were no cases on campus.

My dd had to trash a bunch of food today too. So sad and she & I are both disgusted by waste so that didn't help her mood having to leave today.

So, hub access would mean they can still book CM room rates and use other discounts?
The kids were trying to figure out how to give away their food. Our server at Le Cellier said she is able to stay for her program and she lived in Chatham. I was telling kids there could be some people around who could take it.

Yes, she should have access to the hub through her end date and should be able to book the discounts. If she looks at her paystubs she should see the last two are dated for March 19. One is for the actual week she worked and one is for the rest of the month. They didn't put hours, I just divided the total by 12, since that is what they get an hour.

Tomorrow is supposed to be "roommate selection day" for the students arriving in May. It will be a good sign if Disney goes ahead with that.

I'm reasonably confident that my daughter will be leaving for Orlando on schedule in two months time, and I'm almost certain your daughter should be OK. If the world doesn't have the coronovirus under control by August, then we are in big trouble.
Did roommate selection happen?!

Did roommate selection happen?!

Yes, roommate selection happened as scheduled. My daughter's "first day" is supposed to be May 11, so I am cautiously optimistic about her chances of going, or of her perhaps having a delayed start date, but of course with all the turmoil in the world right now anything can happen.

She has already asked me if I'm willing to drive her from Edmonton to Orlando, in the event they offer her a job but the airlines are still shut down. Google maps tells me it will take 43 hours to drive the 4,500 KM distance, so I'm not especially enthusiastic about that solution...

My daughter is supposed to start May 18th. We are from Winnipeg. The “unknown” is torture. Picked housing and received her J1 last week. I hope if it is cancelled this year, they automatically get to go next year. All the money she has spent for this already is crazy. She even flew to Montreal for her interview. 😢

Last edited:
Yes, roommate selection happened as scheduled. My daughter's "first day" is supposed to be May 11, so I am cautiously optimistic about her chances of going, or of her perhaps having a delayed start date, but of course with all the turmoil in the world right now anything can happen.

She has already asked me if I'm willing to drive her from Edmonton to Orlando, in the event they offer her a job but the airlines are still shut down. Google maps tells me it will take 43 hours to drive the 4,500 KM distance, so I'm not especially enthusiastic about that solution...

Sounds like the making of an epic road trip to me!

My daughter is supposed to start May 18th. We are from Winnipeg. The “unknown” is torture. Picked housing and received her J1 last week. I hope if it is cancelled this year, they automatically get to go next year. All the money she has spent for this already is crazy. She even flew to Montreal for her interview. 😢

This is the third year my daughter has taken part in the program: Disney World in 2018, Disneyland in 2019, and Disney World again this year. The first year, we flew to Vancouver for her interview. The good news is that, for subsequent years, Disney is content to have a phone interview, so your daughter won't have to fly to Montreal again if she decides to apply again next year.

I agree that not knowing is the difficult part. We've decided (since we already paid for airfares and 10 day tickets, and made hotel reservations), that we'll all be flying to Disney World in August for a two week trip, whether or not my daughter is hired for the summer.

As this has all settled in more, and my dd has gotten home and I've watched her be so devastated, I feel that Disney should have done more for the kids sent home so soon from the program. Instead of continuing to hire more F/FA kids, why did they close apps (after opening again ever so briefly) and continue to hire more kids from the F/FA apps? Why not bring back the kids that were so quickly kicked out? My dd had just over a month. Even the earlier Spring 2020 check in dates only had 2 months. I don't know very many kids at all who had to leave their programs so early who don't wish to go back and finish or extend. The general feeling is that Disney put out the survey to just shut them up and give false hope. It really makes me sad and mad and sad...AND so disappointed in Disney. They treats the CP's pretty badly anyways so why am I not surprised.

Have any of the Spring 2020 kids applied for unemployment ? My dd did but I'm not sure if she will qualify. She was at disney for 43 days. She'd worked for almost 2 years before that and only left to take the job at Disney. I think Disney paying the Unemployment is her only hope but just not sure if she even qualies...

Have any of the Spring 2020 kids applied for unemployment ? My dd did but I'm not sure if she will qualify. She was at disney for 43 days. She'd worked for almost 2 years before that and only left to take the job at Disney. I think Disney paying the Unemployment is her only hope but just not sure if she even qualies...

I just had to apply for unemployment between two different states so I hope I can provide some information for you.

If your daughter only worked in Florida for 43 days, she will most not likely not qualify for unemployment in Florida (where her job was insured by her employer for unemployment insurance). However, if she has worked the past 18 months in your home state, there is probably a provision where she can combine her income from her home state and Florida in your home state to determine her qualification. If this is her first and only full time job though, chances of qualification are slim, particularly if she left her job before DCP voluntarily. If her past two years of employment were full time, there may be a chance, but it may not be administered by Florida, but your home state (even though her job was insured in Florida). Unemployment will most likely benefit the DCPers in this situation who have worked in Florida for at least the past 18 months, and got let go from their last job for reasons beyond their control (ie they can't have quit voluntarily to join DCP or get discharged for breaking rules).

It may also be equally likely that she was employed for such a short period of time that if she left her last job voluntarily (such as to enter the DCP) she will probably be unable to collect unemployment. I work in one state and live in another, so I am quite familiar now with the unemployment process since I was just furloughed from my job. Luckily for me, my last 18 months of work have all been in the same state, simplifying things, though I did have to apply for unemployment in the state where I worked, and not where I live.

I just had to apply for unemployment between two different states so I hope I can provide some information for you.

If your daughter only worked in Florida for 43 days, she will most not likely not qualify for unemployment in Florida (where her job was insured by her employer for unemployment insurance). However, if she has worked the past 18 months in your home state, there is probably a provision where she can combine her income from her home state and Florida in your home state to determine her qualification. If this is her first and only full time job though, chances of qualification are slim, particularly if she left her job before DCP voluntarily. If her past two years of employment were full time, there may be a chance, but it may not be administered by Florida, but your home state (even though her job was insured in Florida). Unemployment will most likely benefit the DCPers in this situation who have worked in Florida for at least the past 18 months, and got let go from their last job for reasons beyond their control (ie they can't have quit voluntarily to join DCP or get discharged for breaking rules).

It may also be equally likely that she was employed for such a short period of time that if she left her last job voluntarily (such as to enter the DCP) she will probably be unable to collect unemployment. I work in one state and live in another, so I am quite familiar now with the unemployment process since I was just furloughed from my job. Luckily for me, my last 18 months of work have all been in the same state, simplifying things, though I did have to apply for unemployment in the state where I worked, and not where I live.
Thanks for your thoughts and insight! My dd had worked in our home state for 2 years before going into the dcp but it was all PT (she was a FT student and in high school for part of that). And she did leave the job right before the dcp voluntarily to enter the program. Sounds like she's probably not eligible but we should have her apply, just in case.

My daughter was supposed to go at the end of May from Canada. Got this email this morning. Knew it would probably happen, but she’s crushed and out a lot of money. Flight to interview, insurance, flight booked to Orlando... 😢

Attachments

• F9AA0241-DC09-4897-A4B9-8B908A16DB26.png
    F9AA0241-DC09-4897-A4B9-8B908A16DB26.png
    127 KB · Views: 87

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!