Is Disney World closure causing any fallout with the various college programs?

Until one of the kids gets it and spreads it to the others in the dorms.

I do hate it for the kids as well and I do hope that after things reopen disney gives all the current CP participants an opportunity to come back if they want to. Way too early to know what they are going to do tough
Disney silence is deafening.

I have an unpopular opinion, especially after reading Twitter, but I believe Disney did the right thing. Disney has no obligation to pay 5,000 student workers to stay and not work when there is no business demand driving their labor. Other than that, DCP housing is tight and would have proven troublesome in preventing an outbreak. In addition, their offer of severance (2 weeks pay) is more than generous considering many of these students have not been doing their jobs for more than 60 days. Most people who leave their job after 60 days end up with Zip-a-dee-doo-dah.

What strikes me, however, especially after reading Twitter, is the lack of responsibility put out by parents. I read these children putting up GoFundMe pages and asking for enough gas money to get home and I find myself asking "Don't these children have parents?" I know when I did DCP almost all of us were between 18-25 years old, and of course STUDENTS. If you are young enough to be covered by your parents' insurance, you are young enough for your parents to take responsibility for you. This is not a case of making sure your child has everything they want because they say so, or spoiling them. Parents are supposed to support their children as students. That is what parents are supposed to do! If you have to drive across country to pick them up, or ask someone to help you, or take out a loan to buy a plane ticket, or work an extra day to buy enough gas for your child, that is what a parent is supposed to do.

I understand for many DCPers, this is devastating news. But I think they will grow and learn that it was the right decision and hopefully it drives them to try even harder in the future. I do hope that Disney will prioritize their applications in the future, but I think so far Disney has not been the monster they have been portrayed to be.

I have an unpopular opinion, especially after reading Twitter, but I believe Disney did the right thing. Disney has no obligation to pay 5,000 student workers to stay and not work when there is no business demand driving their labor. Other than that, DCP housing is tight and would have proven troublesome in preventing an outbreak. In addition, their offer of severance (2 weeks pay) is more than generous considering many of these students have not been doing their jobs for more than 60 days. Most people who leave their job after 60 days end up with Zip-a-dee-doo-dah.

What strikes me, however, especially after reading Twitter, is the lack of responsibility put out by parents. I read these children putting up GoFundMe pages and asking for enough gas money to get home and I find myself asking "Don't these children have parents?" I know when I did DCP almost all of us were between 18-25 years old, and of course STUDENTS. If you are young enough to be covered by your parents' insurance, you are young enough for your parents to take responsibility for you. This is not a case of making sure your child has everything they want because they say so, or spoiling them. Parents are supposed to support their children as students. That is what parents are supposed to do! If you have to drive across country to pick them up, or ask someone to help you, or take out a loan to buy a plane ticket, or work an extra day to buy enough gas for your child, that is what a parent is supposed to do.

I understand for many DCPers, this is devastating news. But I think they will grow and learn that it was the right decision and hopefully it drives them to try even harder in the future. I do hope that Disney will prioritize their applications in the future, but I think so far Disney has not been the monster they have been portrayed to be.
Laugh out loud. Whendisney offered an employment contract it hadastart date and an end date with rules for the kids. Disney decided to end the contract. Since they ended the contract prematurely, I feel disneyshouldbe on the hook for more. First airfare home and unemployment insurance. Kids have been let down by Disney.

Not looking to have an argument here and I hope folks can respect my opinion as I do others...

I don't expect Disney to help my son any more than what they have committed to at this point which in my opinion is more than generous. They are paying him through the end of the month and not charging for rent so I think that is more than generous for basically part-time employees. While I am sure many, if not all, are really disappointed right now all we can hope for is that they grow from this experience. This has been my son's dream since he was very young and his long term goal is to be an Imagineer for Disney so to have his time cut short really hurts. However, Disney is still a business and they are doing the right thing for themselves as a company as well as for the kids. If they didn't send the kids home and there was an outbreak in the housing complexes parents would be irate so they can't win no matter what option they would choose.

Disney lifted the HS blackout for CP folks today and they are allowing them to experience the parks even while in costume. They have at least one special Mickey meet and greet only for CP kids and may have more things that my son may not be aware of or hasn't told us about. In my opinion, they are trying to make the best of an awful situation for everyone.

I absolutely am devastated for my dd who really only got a month - she is one who also dreamed of this since she was a child and applied 3x times before ever getting accepted - so this is simply heartbreaking. BUT I do believe it is the right thing for Disney to do. For their own business purposes but also for the kids and their families. If this virus did break out down there, it would be difficult to contain and all us parents would be so stressed and worried. We live 26 hours away. I can't easily get to my dd. I know I will feel much better having her home just in case the worst does happen.

I do think Disney could have handled this better but they are paying the kids through the rest of the month (and no housing will be taken out) *and* they are returning the program fee ($390 iirc). They are also providing busing to the airport or a voucher for a mears taxi. For kids who cannot be out by wed at 11am, they have recruiters onsite to help them. So, while I'm not happy about any of this, I think Disney is trying to step up (I wasn't so sure about that yesterday...).

I do think Disney could have handled this better but they are paying the kids through the rest of the month (and no housing will be taken out) *and* they are returning the program fee ($390 iirc).

I just paid the program fee for my daughter's upcoming term, and it was $390.

Do you know if the students are going to be reimbursed for all housing fees they have paid to date? If so, then I'd definitely agree that Disney is being more than fair.

I just paid the program fee for my daughter's upcoming term, and it was $390.

Do you know if the students are going to be reimbursed for all housing fees they have paid to date? If so, then I'd definitely agree that Disney is being more than fair.
I don't believe so. Just the program fee and paid through the end of the month. I don't know how they are determining what to pay them since hours have varied widely. The right thing to do would be just pay them for 40 hours but honestly, some kids work more than that. My dd has gone between 32-40 most weeks.

I don't believe so. Just the program fee and paid through the end of the month. I don't know how they are determining what to pay them since hours have varied widely. The right thing to do would be just pay them for 40 hours but honestly, some kids work more than that. My dd has gone between 32-40 most weeks.

If Disney is only not charging them for the next two weeks of housing, then of course that is not an especially good deal, since the students wouldn't be living in Disney housing, anyway. Still, if Disney is giving two weeks severance, as well as reimbursing the $390 program fee, then that is a reasonable financial settlement.

The real cost here isn't financial, but the loss of the "Disney experience" for the next few months. There isn't much Disney can do on that front. Ideally, I would like to see Disney make these students "high priority hires", for those students who reapply to the program in the future.

If Disney is only not charging them for the next two weeks of housing, then of course that is not an especially good deal, since the students wouldn't be living in Disney housing, anyway. Still, if Disney is giving two weeks severance, as well as reimbursing the $390 program fee, then that is a reasonable financial settlement.

The real cost here isn't financial, but the loss of the "Disney experience" for the next few months. There isn't much Disney can do on that front. Ideally, I would like to see Disney make these students "high priority hires", for those students who reapply to the program in the future.
Right. No amount of money can make up for what they’ve lost. Disney did send out a survey today asking if kids would be interested in returning once the parks open again. They’ve said they will try to bring back those who are interested and still have a good amount of time left in their program.

Plaza Garden was reserved for CP kids to watch HEA tonight.

I take back my earlier comment about there's not much Disney can do to make up for the loss of the "Disney Experience". I'm sure that small things like special seating for fireworks, and admittance into Hollywood Studios, will give the students some very positive memories of their last days at Disney World.

I take back my earlier comment about there's not much Disney can do to make up for the loss of the "Disney Experience". I'm sure that small things like special seating for fireworks, and admittance into Hollywood Studios, will give the students some very positive memories of their last days at Disney World.
Agree. Nothing Disney could ever do will make up for the lost two months of program time but it seems like the effort is there to do what they can to help the situation.

I am here- talked to a lot of CPs today- while they did get some nice perks in the parks, it wasn't well known about. The lack of information is astounding. One of my DD's co-workers literally was told to leave the second the announcement was made and they took her employee id on the spot- um the kid had no way to turn in her costume or go to the parks. My daughter had to drive her around and help her access things. The girl had to ship a lot of stuff home, it was expensive. UPS opened for them today, Frontier flew people home. Disney was silent. My DD isn't on property she has received 2 emails total- none with any kind of instruction. Her leader called today and told her not to come in for her shift. No instruction on what to do- we are leaving tomorrow.

Florida is not requiring kids to leave dorms- my daughter's college is letting them stay. Disney is letting certain people stay in the apartments. There are kids paying way more money than they actually made to get home. One girl from Australia paid over $4000 for her plane ticket. Disney's email today said they were being just like other colleges in making people leave. Most college kids go to school within driving distance of home. Most college kids are being asked to leave for a couple of weeks, not permanently. Most kids who go to school out of state, store their things and have a plan in place, because they are coming back. Most kids are not left to find their way home in the middle of a global pandemic. Disney really dropped the ball on this one.

For comparison the Georgia Board of Regents ordered ALL students to be out of their dorms by 6:00 last Friday afternoon. ALL STUDENTS AT ALL STATE SCHOOLS. They allow wavers in a case by case basis. ( I have a DD who teaches at UCF, and two DD enrolled in Ga Schools and a future SiL employed by a large (30k students) State school. All are at home until further notice. ( likely the whole semester) )

Just about every college has sent kids home- luckily most were on or about to go on Spring break. UCF is on Spring break- but is letting kids stay if needed- they just fill out a form. UCF is one of the most flexible schools. A lot of college kids live off campus in apartments- they don't have to move their stuff out or even leave. Obviously so many people are being adversely affected by this.

The problem I have with Disney is lack of communication- not that they are sending them home. They waited over 24 hours to send a second email saying they would help people who couldn't get home- a little too late. None of these kids really knew what was going on, if they still needed to go to shifts. Now Disney is asking them to let them know if they want to come back- it's just all over the place.

Just about every college has sent kids home- luckily most were on or about to go on Spring break. UCF is on Spring break- but is letting kids stay if needed- they just fill out a form. UCF is one of the most flexible schools. A lot of college kids live off campus in apartments- they don't have to move their stuff out or even leave. Obviously so many people are being adversely affected by this.

The problem I have with Disney is lack of communication- not that they are sending them home. They waited over 24 hours to send a second email saying they would help people who couldn't get home- a little too late. None of these kids really knew what was going on, if they still needed to go to shifts. Now Disney is asking them to let them know if they want to come back- it's just all over the place.
Ugh, such a mess

Last edited:

My daughter is 22. Although I think of her still as my responsibility, I am also a single parent. I don't have the means to drop everything and find a way to get her home in 4 days. If you saw the initial email from Disney telling them they have 4 days to get out and that their program is terminated, with no mention of an ability to come back or perhaps giving the, the hope of having priority for another term, you might feel differently about it.

My daughter is 22. Although I think of her still as my responsibility, I am also a single parent. I don't have the means to drop everything and find a way to get her home in 4 days. If you saw the initial email from Disney telling them they have 4 days to get out and that their program is terminated, with no mention of an ability to come back or perhaps giving the, the hope of having priority for another term, you might feel differently about it.
I do understand completely. I believe I was 22 in my CP, I was raised solely by my mother, my program ended early due to a medical condition, and Disney told me I had 36 hours to leave my apartment (which they were very clear to point out should have been 24 hours, but they gave me an extra 12 "as a courtesy" and I can guarantee you that at the exact hour I was supposed to leave, campus security came and knocked on my door as I carried out the last of my belongings). They took my blue ID on the spot, told me to put my uniforms in a trash bag and hand them in, and told me to leave the premises. My mother could not make it to assist me. I had enough savings to actually begin a life for myself while remaining in Florida, but my mother certainly helped me along the way. What I was more trying to express was that I feel sorry for these children who have to start GoFundMe pages for their return home and the increasing anger at Disney for doing the right thing instead of taking some responsibility, and I certainly apologize if my remarks read the wrong way, because I definitely understand that as 20+ year olds, we have to know how to make it ourselves to some extent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter