Is Disney taking the 'Mickey' out of its resorts

I toured the LK Suites ............. besides it being colors I do not like ......... it was theme decor to the extreme! The only suite I would stay in there is Cars.

There can be too much and there can be too little.

Come the renovation those colors may change

Consensus from the family after our first on property stay is that we enjoyed being in the bubble and theme to the extreme was OK with us. LK Suite was awesome and I would go back there without a second thought. For future trips the amount and quality of theme will be a factor in where we stay.

Funny you mention those specifically. We were at AKL Kindani last week and they still have them. DROVE ME BONKERS! Just in the way when you go to sleep and always ended up bunched up on the floor. I had forgotten how big a PITA they were
Lol I always took them off when we were going to sleep. I just liked them or themeing cuz the bed seems too white. I wish they still had the runner or even a decorative throw pillow

We've stayed all over property at this point.
In comparing other on-property resorts to to the pirate rooms or AOA themed rooms-- everything is pretty dull in comparison. I don't necessarily feel like this is "taking the Mickey out of the resort" as much as I do feel that they are getting in touch with more modern times. Which is fine with me especially if there's a refurb involved!

If we need the "Mickey feel" we stay at AOA in the Nemo, Lion King or Mermaid rooms, etc!! :)

Come the renovation those colors may change

I keep reading this as "Come the revolution"! :D

Lol I always took them off when we were going to sleep. I just liked them or themeing cuz the bed seems too white. I wish they still had the runner or even a decorative throw pillow

Agree completely. The all white beds look unfinished and like hospital beds. Not very "Disney" and not very luxurious.

Do none of the resorts have runners now? Not even the GF?

I keep reading this as "Come the revolution"! :D

Agree completely. The all white beds look unfinished and like hospital beds. Not very "Disney" and not very luxurious.

Do none of the resorts have runners now? Not even the GF?
Villas (DVC) are all that have them, as far as I know. Regular Deluxe resort rooms do not

You can thank the dishonest guests for losing these in the rooms. They kept stealing them.

Original living room: View attachment 358682
New Living room (sorry for the dark photo):View attachment 358683

See, to me, the original living room design looks dated, cheap and amateurishly designed. It looks to me like it was furnished with a bunch of castoffs that don't match. Not to my taste at all.

I find the new living room to be tasteful, clean, warm, and uncluttered. I don't find it to be at all out of theme.

Each to their own taste. Some people will like; some will hate. One thing you can count on is that it will change again in a few years, will look different and some will like and some will hate.

We stayed at OKW in a 1 bedroom in September and I wondered how many of the decorative pots (and the lamp in the corner) went missing. Some people will take anything not nailed down :rolleyes:

I just deleted about a half-page of posts with a ridiculous argument about spelling.

1) Please don't attack other posters for spelling errors. We don't have a spelling/grammar proficiency requirement for posting here, and all of us make typos from time to time.

2) If you feel that someone has attacked you, don't respond. Doesn't matter if you're only defending yourself. If two people are arguing here, they're both violating board rules, no matter who started it. Use the report post button and let the moderators handle it.

3) If other posters are arguing, please don't join in. It just means we'll have to delete more posts. Use the report post button.

Carpeting is gross. Give me laminate or other hard surface any day.

I'm a fan of all the refurbishing so far. Then again, I adore Ikea (and think DR is the most Disney of all the resorts).

The resort we like in Aruba is all marble flooring in the rooms. Not a carpet anywhere, no wood. It was kind of shocking at first, however it was spotless. I much preferred that clean floor to a soggy wet carpet that I have experienced in other resort rooms.

I get you don't like it and I understand. :) I disliked Grand Floridian, Boardwalk and WL before the refurbs, now I would choose to stay at them!

Thing is, there are more people that either like it or just don't care than people who dislike new design.

Not to be harsh, but Disney doesn't really care if someone chooses not to stay because of new decor, someone else will be there to take their place. For now.

Theme is personal. I also would never have stayed at the Grand before teh refurb. I don't care how nice the service was, that room would have had my skin crawling.
I also understand the white bedding throughout. I know that after a few washes my own spreads are less vibrant and I look for new ones, so the replacement of the washed out bedding in all the rooms must have been a high cost.

Theme is personal. I also would never have stayed at the Grand before teh refurb. I don't care how nice the service was, that room would have had my skin crawling.
I also understand the white bedding throughout. I know that after a few washes my own spreads are less vibrant and I look for new ones, so the replacement of the washed out bedding in all the rooms must have been a high cost.

I don't mind the Grand refurb. It's different, but still themed and the rooms are beautiful. But I also loved the old rooms too.

New tile, surfaces, linens, etc are fine. Fresh is good. New accessible places to plug in your phone is nice. What I miss are losing the little details in the light fixtures, patterns in the drapes and curtains that fit with the theme. Furniture and walls will be dinged no matter what, carpets dirtied. I dislike the ridges in the laminate flooring in the entry area and bathroom vanity. But we have wood floors at home so maybe I am a purist. Far better quality laminate floors in units we rent on the beach and elsewhere. No ridges, wide plank and much prettier colors. Maybe next refresh?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!