Is Disney fun solo?

Most of them are great for that. Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Port Orleans French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge. I'm about to name all of them, LOL.

When you go solo, do you normally do all the parks ? Or what’s your solo trips like compared to traveling with others?

I visit all of the parks and do essentially the same things I would do when traveling with others.

My two solo trips have been shorter than my trips with others because I thought I would be lonely, but my next solo trip is going to be six nights. Most people are so connected, it is easy to find “company” through texting, calling, video chats, and social media.

I discovered WDW solo travel because I was in Orlando on business. With some extra time before I had to fly home, I took a shuttle to the TTC and bought a two-day hopper.

No planning. No dining reservations. Not even sure what park to visit. The CM asked, "are you going to check out the Food and Wine Festival?" Had no idea what that was, and without having to consult with anyone else, I hopped on the monorail to Epcot.

The day was a completely unplanned exploration. I took as much time as I wanted to check out the band. I grabbed food from the kiosks and went back for more without having to worry about anyone else. I spent as much or as little time at the pavilions as I wished. I was addicted before the end of the first day and upgraded to an annual pass, because I knew I would be booking a solo trip to come back just for me.

I spent the next day at Animal Kingdom, doing exactly the same thing. No pressure at all. I was very worried that I would be lonely, but if that feeling crept up, there was plenty to do next that wouldn't feel lonely for long. I hopped over to the MK in the afternoon, and then decided I needed more cheese soup, spicy beef, and German beer, and decided to hop back to Epcot. What complete freedom! And what a wonderful place to enjoy that freedom! I had NO IDEA I would have as much as I did. I've been back since then on multiple solo trips.

Don't get me wrong: I love vacationing with friends and family too. But it's a different experience, whether it's 2 people or 10 people. There's indecision. There are staggered bathroom breaks. People get thirsty or tired or hungry at different times. Someone doesn't like spicy food. Someone dislikes parades. Another person is on a budget and you feel bad for buying that overpriced t-shirt you don't need. Granted, you make memories together. You bond. You'll have photos and stories, and someone to talk to. So each has its own advantages.

I am not an only child either and I enjoy both solo and going with people. I love not being on someone else's agenda when I go solo. The freedom to look at a ride 7dmt for example, and decide that the wait is longer than my enjoyment of it. That I can plan to get up early and then change my mind and have a leisurely breakfast instead. I do find myself thinking, so and so would love this occasionally, and I try to take the time to send them a quick picture or txt. I will do that in line, or during meals. I find even having a txt conversation makes meals more fun. At crowded quick service places it can be easy to talk to strangers. I don't mind doing that either. I eat with a book by myself occasionally at home (I just don't want to cook, or I'm out running errands), so eating with a book on my phone at WDW is fine with me too. If you think it might be uncomfortable then try it at home. Find out what works for you before spending money on a vacation you are nervous about.
I am looking forward to my spring solo trip and my fall trip with my Dad equally.

I am an avid reader too and read when I am on break at work. I have a nook and the app on my phone so I always have something to read. That is usually what I do when I am on my own, read while eating. Solo trips are awesome. As everyone else has said, you can do what you want, when you want. In fact the more solo trips you do the harder it is to go with someone else because you have to worry about what they want to do too. I have no issues with eating at any restaurant at WDW, sit down, counter, signature, no problem. All of that "uncomfortable" is in your head. In fact that is when I get to try some of the better restaurants since my DH is a typical meat and potatoes guy, I save all of the "fancy" places for when I go solo. My touring style is very fluid when alone. Some days I wake up and want to head over to AK, so I will go there and walk around the and look at all of the animals, then head over to Epcot or DS for some dinner. And I am not an only child. :)

SO MUCH FUN. personally, i had a blast on my multiple solo trips in a unique way that's different than the fun i have with groups. the freedom to do what you want, when you want, eat whatever you want, spend whatever you want (or dont) is fantastic. I also am a vlogger, so that helps to bide my time :)

I thought it was fun. Until I got tipsy by myself at Food and Wine. It made me a bit depressed because I was alone and kept seeing groups of people having fun. o_O

Like WDW with groups - but love, love, love solo - for me it is a completely different trip. I can do what I want, when I want and don't have to listen to 'we couldn't find you', Now I am a little different don't really need people - my cats yes, people not really. Now people can be fun - but when they only want you to do what they want to do. It can get old really fast.

had this experience not only with family but friends too - since I own DVC it is generally easier on me to allow them to go on their own.

The last few visits I've gone solo and love it. Getting ready to go next week with DW and DD and I expect I'll be spending more time solo than with family. DW has little interest in WDW and will probably spend time at the resort and pool. DD is bringing BFF and will be spending time with her. I'll probably go to the parks by myself and do what I want, when I want, and have more fun than if I'm trying to get everyone to agree to doing any one thing now or later.

My trip last week went exactly as I expected. There were four of us: myself, DW, DD and DD's BFF. Over our four days we spent some time together, and sometimes it was DW and myself, and about half the time it was me going solo. I tend to wake up at 6am without an alarm but everyone else wanted to sleep in, so I spent the mornings and two afternoons on my own. DW spent one entire day at the resort pool. While on my own I rode the rides I wanted, had an ice cream sundae for lunch one day, drank and snacked my way around the world, chatted with the occasional CM or park guest, read my book while waiting for a show to start or while resting and enjoying some refreshment, and completely enjoyed myself.

Best of both worlds, enjoying WDW solo and with family on the same visit. However, I have to admit that I did more and in less time when I was solo. When I was with anyone else, it took longer to decide what to do and get anywhere.

When you go solo, do you normally do all the parks ? Or what’s your solo trips like compared to traveling with others?
I do everything I can fit in! All four parks! Lots of rides and ADRs! When I go with family they like to relax at the resort a lot, so when I'm alone, it's go time!

Most of my trips have been solo. My last trip was with a friend who had never been so it was fun showing her around but I am going solo in Dec to see the decorations and the MVMCP. I like being able to go where I want, when I want. And if I want to stop and rest, I can and not hold anyone back or if I want to do something they don't, I am not forcing them. I am also going in the fall to stay off property with my nephew and his wife. I will still do some things on my own and let them do their thing. I don't have much family left so if I want to travel, it will likely be by myself and the one place I feel safe is Disney.

Ultimately it all comes down to your personality. If you are not someone who enjoys alone time you may not enjoy it. That being said I love both! I especially love my solo trips. There is so much freedom going by yourself. You can be completely selfish and only do the rides you want, the parks you want, the restaurants you want etc. You can change plans in the moment. You are not tied down to any particular plan. When you are alone you can also get through the parks much faster. I always do the hopper so I will hit up multiple parks each day. The best part is meeting people along the way!

I will say there are times I do miss having someone with me to chat with specifically during rides to the park or while waiting in lines but for me that is really the only downside. There is so much to see and do in Disney, you don't have much time to feel lonely!

Good luck and hope you decide to give it a shot!

I agree with all of that. I love my own company and being able to do my own thing for a while but at times did miss the company.

However, I’m from the UK and this October I’ll be accidentally on purpose in Orlando solo with an unlimited phone data and call plan so when I’m waiting in line or sat looking out over World Showcase with an exotic beverage I can just pick up the phone!

Can’t wait!
I'll be there October 13-21 on my first solo trip. If you want company for a dinner or day, let me know!

Dawn

I’m going to plan a solo trip, October 23-29. I want to spend a day at each park and I’d to spend a day visiting some of the resorts taking some photos and I always like to visit Disney Springs

Are there any recommendations for solo travelers?

Last edited:
I've been on both family and solo trips, and while both have been amazingly fun, I enjoyed my solo trip more. I love going at my own pace and riding whatever I want, whenever I want, as well as skipping what I don't want to do. Living near New York City, which is the most lonely crowded place in the world (lol), Disney World is amazing. Even though you are by yourself, you don't feel alone. I've met many nice people in line and have had wonderful interactions with the CM's. I recommend trying a solo trip at least once. I loved it so much, I am going back in May!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!