Is Disney fun solo?

I went solo for a couple of days. It was fun for a few hours, but I got bored and didn't really want to go on the rides alone. I probably wouldn't do it again.

I imagine this will be me when I go alone

tumblr_nr8hmxv0pj1roemslo1_500.gif

Last edited:
I never went solo to Disney World. I just don’t think I would have as much fun by myself. Is going with a friend or relative a better experience? I’m asking people that have done both.
It's different than being there with a group but I actually have more fun alone 90% of the time! If there's anything specifically you're uncomfortable or unsure about, just ask :) done it many times!

I’m an annual passholder, and I go to DLR by myself nearly every Sunday, usually to DCA. My husband and I do go together, either after work if we can make it to the parks before they close, or on Saturdays when we plan ahead. I have fun either way; each way has its merits.

When I go with my husband, he allows me to decide what we’re going to do… with limits. When we go, it’s just another way that we spend time together and enjoy each other’s company. Mostly, we go eat and walk, so events like Festival of Holidays and the current Lunar New Year Festival are serious draws for us. He’s not much of a ride person, so if there’s a ride that I want to go on that he doesn’t, and that ride has a short wait time, he’ll wait for me as I take my turn. He’ll take video of me as I meet characters at both parks, and he’s content to do so, though he occasionally will join me in the pictures. We do occasionally disagree about what we want to do or see, but all in all, we have a lot of fun when we go.

Going solo has had its ups and downs. The biggest advantage is that I don’t have anyone slowing me down or complaining about not wanting to do something that I want to, or them wanting to do something that I don’t want to. On solo trips, I do what I want, adjusting as needed depending on time and attraction scheduling. I’ll go see the previously mentioned DCA show, ride a few rides, meet some characters, and just have a great time. The downside for me is that I do sometimes wish that I had a friend or two join me at the park, but the ones that I have in mind aren’t AP holders, so they can’t come. Oh well…

Glad I found this post. I’m probably going to WDW to Mickeys No So Scary Halloween Party weekend solo,unless I find a Travel friend. I’ve always gone with someone, first time wasn’t fun, second time SO and had a blast. I love taking photos, so going solo might be better for me, then I can find the perfect spot for a photo. I will probably just go for a long weekend. I don’t mind eating alone, then I get to pick what I want. I probably wouldn’t do a character meal, just quick service meals/snacks.

Those of you that go solo, do you hit all the parks?

Last edited:
I've gone solo twice and all in the last year. I am about to go a third time in April.

I prefer going solo because I get up late, have breakfast at the pool, go for a swim, shower, and go to the parks in the pm. Sometimes I change it up if I feel like it. Many people like to do everything at Disney, from rope drop to closing. I don't. I just do what I love. No accommodating anyone, no compromising, no checking in with someone.

I agree with what others said about eating at ADRs alone. I do not usually do that unless I really want to eat at a particular restaurant. Otherwise, I prefer quickserve and Disney snacks. Bc when you're on vaca at Disney, dole whips, turkey legs, waffles, hamburgers and mickey pretzels are in fact the 5 main food groups.

Sometimes when I'm in the park I wish I was with a partner but it's fleeting because I'm too busy thinking what I want to do next. Also, when I hear people around me complaining about having to do something they do not want to do but they have to because the rest of their party is doing it, or families disagreeing about what kind of food they want to eat or a kid is having a meltdown because i8pm is too late to be out, I feel sooooo relieved.

I really enjoy both ways. I will say if I have to choose I prefer going with others.

What I don't like about going with others is you have to try and please everyone; this can be a hard task.

What I don't like about going alone is eating meals by myself.

I enjoy going by myself. I can ride what I want to and go where I want to. And I can do single riders when optional. Eating meals can be a mix by yourself. I once had a great time at Beaches & Cream. I ate at the bar and got to chat with the cast members and watch them make various treats for the guests.

The last few visits I've gone solo and love it. Getting ready to go next week with DW and DD and I expect I'll be spending more time solo than with family. DW has little interest in WDW and will probably spend time at the resort and pool. DD is bringing BFF and will be spending time with her. I'll probably go to the parks by myself and do what I want, when I want, and have more fun than if I'm trying to get everyone to agree to doing any one thing now or later.

I completely agree with this. Although I love traveling solo to WDW, I have a friend who thinks that's very strange and insists she wouldn't enjoy it at all. I'm an only child and quite comfortable entertaining myself (grew up that way-no family really, no cousins, etc.), yet she's one of 5 kids, with lots of cousins too. I've often wondered how family size relates to enjoyment of solo trips, speculating that only children are most likely to be happy solo at WDW, used to solo enjoyment.

I’m one of six kids and enjoy my solo trips!

I read through all the posts and I think they give a really good cross section of pros and cons. As a single, some point in your visit you will say to yourself, "man, I wish I had someone to share this with." then other times you find yourself saying.. man, I'm glad I'm alone so I don't have to sit through this (ride, show, parade) whatever.

It really depends on your mind set. If you go in there convinced that it isn't going to be all that much fun, that is what you will get. I told this story before, but, shortly after my divorce (years ago) I decided to go because WDW always made me feel good and stress free. (at least worldly stress) The first couple of days I just sat around and remembered the times with family and young kids. Melancholy at best. Self pity in bucket loads. In short, I wasn't having a good time. I was lost, lonely and completely overwhelmed about what the future held.

Years ago when I went with the family, the theme of CoP was "now is the best time of your life" and it turned out to be true. Now that wasn't quite as accurate. This was the first trip back after they put "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" back in. I went to it and sometime in the middle of the show that song struck a nerve. I left the attraction thinking that I can fix my life and tomorrow will be a good time to start it. I left with a sense of focus, of blossoming plans of the future and determination to stop whining and get it back. I got it back and it turned out to be the best time of my life after all. I made massive changes in my life and before long I was back on track, happy and looking forward to the future.

I made many subsequent trips back after that both solo and with members of my family and both had their positives and negatives, but, generally fun and I certainly haven't regretted any of them. Now Disney themselves have thrown a bit of an obstacle in my path. Although my bank account, on the surface, seems to indicate I can do it, what is there has to last me the rest of my life and the current atmosphere in Washington threatens all of the safety nets that I thought I could rely on. Over $400 dollars for a 4 day, P.H. (I never stay in those overpriced resort places. That would really depress me.) I am now relegated to perhaps a trip every two or three years and my age makes it no longer a sure thing that my health will allow me to go. However, if possible I would continue to go regularly. Is it as much fun as when you travel with someone? I would have to say no! However, it is fun in a different way and therefore when all the cards are counted, pretty much equal.

I've often wondered how family size relates to enjoyment of solo trips, speculating that only children are most likely to be happy solo at WDW, used to solo enjoyment.

That or how many years you have spent taking care of others. I love big family get togethers (which are nonexistant now), trips with my family, the look on my sp needs daughter's face at disney BUT my youngest is off to the university ( :love2: :sad1:, fingers crossed, praying and....:jumping2::wave:) and I can't wait to finally be able to do what I want for more then an hour. So looking forward to a whole solo wdw trip.

OP - try being solo at home and see if you are ok with it. The more you do it, the easier it is.

I'm not an only child and I enjoy being solo. However, I also live alone so I am used to doing some stuff on my own.
I find being alone at Disney easier than being alone in day to day life. Probably because I have an agenda and it's all stuff that I want to do.

I am not an only child either and I enjoy both solo and going with people. I love not being on someone else's agenda when I go solo. The freedom to look at a ride 7dmt for example, and decide that the wait is longer than my enjoyment of it. That I can plan to get up early and then change my mind and have a leisurely breakfast instead. I do find myself thinking, so and so would love this occasionally, and I try to take the time to send them a quick picture or txt. I will do that in line, or during meals. I find even having a txt conversation makes meals more fun. At crowded quick service places it can be easy to talk to strangers. I don't mind doing that either. I eat with a book by myself occasionally at home (I just don't want to cook, or I'm out running errands), so eating with a book on my phone at WDW is fine with me too. If you think it might be uncomfortable then try it at home. Find out what works for you before spending money on a vacation you are nervous about.
I am looking forward to my spring solo trip and my fall trip with my Dad equally.

I've often wondered how family size relates to enjoyment of solo trips, speculating that only children are most likely to be happy solo at WDW, used to solo enjoyment.

I'm sure that's not always the determinating factor but it's definitely true in my case. I'm an only child and extreme introvert so I've been pleased with amusing myself ever since I was little. I've done the extended family trip of 12+ and I've done trips with just my parents (with plenty of time to be by myself) and I can truly say that it would take a lot for me to do the big family trip again.

If my wallet could have afforded it, I would have taken a solo trip YEARS ago. ::yes::

When you go solo, do you normally do all the parks ? Or what’s your solo trips like compared to traveling with others?

When you go solo, do you normally do all the parks ? Or what’s your solo trips like compared to traveling with others?
I do everything that I did when I was going with others. The difference now is that I can be more in control of the things that I want to see. For example, if I go to Epcot in the evening I might ride SSE three or four times in a row and not worry about whether or not the person(s) I am with would think that was crazy. It's all very liberating. I like all four parks, I'm a little to long in the tooth to get excited about the water parks, so I skip them. I do utilize the park hopper option almost everyday. The only day that it is less convenient is when I go to DAK. Epcot and DHS or Epcot and MK are so much easier to jump from one place to another. But, since I stay offsite, I usually leave the property in late afternoon, have dinner offsite and then come back into whatever park that fits my fancy. Love it, for that reason alone.

When I'm solo, I tend to spend more time in Animal Kingdom, my favorite park. Every day, there's (usually) different animals having vet procedures, different experiences (animals do different things all the time), and I can ride KS as many times as possible (that's why I loved FP-I spent a whole day just pulling Fps and riding KS). When I go with family, they tend to want to branch out to other parks more. I'm like-you mean there's more than Animal Kingdom?:-)

I usually get a park hopper when I go solo as well. Going solo is fun because you can see whatever you'd like. I tend to like being in the park from open until close and it's nice to have the ability to change parks mid-day (or do a 4 park day) and then there are days where I'll just go visit some of the resorts, especially at holiday time. When I go with my family and friends, I have a good time, but they don't always like to see Illuminations or Fantasmic, and some of them like to sleep in. The cast members are awesome and it's easy to have conversations with other guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!