Is Disney charging a MASSIVE premium to book direct or am I missing something?

citivas

Mouseketeer
Planning a DLP trip during our Paris trip for late March 2019. We plan to stay on resort the last two nights of our trip, leaving very early the last day direct for the airport. Originally we planned to only do the parks on the full day between arrival and departure, though we are hedging and may also go on the arrival day depending how the plans work out…

Here’s the real question though — on first look it appears that Disney is charging an absolutely massive premium to book their hotels directly versus going though a third party booking site like Expedia (and I’m sure Hotels.com and others are similar). For example, we plan to stay at the Disneyland Hotel in a basic “classic” 2 bed room for 2 nights. Booked directly through the DLP site, that starts at a few dollars shy of $2K for two nights. They give you no option not to have 3 days of park tickets included. We don’t need them for the day we leave, but whatever.

Alternatively we can book the exact same room class through Expedia and we get two options: Option 1 is just the room with no tickets included. That cost $933. So the only difference is you don’t get included tickets (and perhaps the 1 extra FP per day) and you save $1,065. Even if you had wanted to get park tickets for all three days, those would costs you $212/person, or $848 direct from Disney, which means you could book with Expedia, pay full price for the tickets from Disney and still come out almost $200 ahead. And if you only buy tickets for 2 days since you don’t need the third, you come out ~$400 ahead. Even more if you just got the one day of tickets.

But here’s where it gets even crazier. Expedia has a second option where your booking includes tickets and dinner. I called the Disneyland Hotel Paris directly after making the refundable reservation and confirmed that the tickets are for all 3 days and that the included dinner each night for 4 is for any of their Premium-tier dining locations, which basically means anywhere including their most expensive restaurants, buffets and character dining (the Expedia site didn’t have this level of detail so they are really under selling the package). The cost for the rooms with this package is $1,732. So for approximately $265 LESS than booking direct from Disney you get the same room, the same ticket AND free dinner each night at their best restaurants.

This seems illogical. Is Disney just counting on most people not competitively shopping or doing any research? Or am I missing something? The Expedia price includes the tickets, the dining, free parking (won’t need it) and free wifi. And most what we may not get is the extra FP per day, and I didn’t ask so it’s possible that’s still included too.

Wifi is always free in the Disney hotels ;-)

I think it's comparable to Disneyland Anaheim, where the hotels on property are also very expensive. 1. because there are also many locals who do not use hotels at all, 2. there are many cheap options either in Paris or along the RER route to the parks, 3. people indeed do not shop, they either like the convenience of a package deal, or already know it's going to be an expensive outing and accept the premium price.

Wifi is always free in the Disney hotels ;-)

I think it's comparable to Disneyland Anaheim, where the hotels on property are also very expensive. 1. because there are also many locals who do not use hotels at all, 2. there are many cheap options either in Paris or along the RER route to the parks, 3. people indeed do not shop, they either like the convenience of a package deal, or already know it's going to be an expensive outing and accept the premium price.

My question isn't about the premium for the Disney hotels, it's about the fact that its substantially cheaper to stay in the exact same rooms at those Disney hotels, with or without tickets included, if you reserve them from a third party site than directly from Disney. Everything I quoted was for the Disneyland Hotel Paris, not a hotel near Disney. The last time I booked a Disney-managed on-resort property in the US, the Grand Californian in 2017, I checked both Disney and third party booking sites and there was not a material savings to book through a third party site. In this case it's hard to understand why anyone would book directly and spend hundreds more for the same room.

I think you would be surprised how many people do not do research. Or, third parties are seen as unreliable, they would charge premium rates to make their commission, why would a hotel allow third parties to be cheaper than their own rates, must be a scam. There are people who think like this. To them the only safe way to book is directly through the hotel. Which is a good point, because if it is a scam, then you have a problem when you arrive, and then it wouldn't be Disney's problem.

I think you would be surprised how many people do not do research. Or, third parties are seen as unreliable, they would charge premium rates to make their commission, why would a hotel allow third parties to be cheaper than their own rates, must be a scam. There are people who think like this. To them the only safe way to book is directly through the hotel. Which is a good point, because if it is a scam, then you have a problem when you arrive, and then it wouldn't be Disney's problem.

Perhaps. Though Expedia is established enough that I would think it wouldn't be perceived this way, at least within the US -- I have no idea internationally. In any event, I guess it's good for me. No reason to spend hundreds of dollars more for 2 nights and miss out on free premium meals and end up in exactly the same rooms with the same tickets and other privileges.

Have you checked the other countries prices on the official dlp site? Try the UK, France etc. They will generally have different offers and you can book using any of them. It might be that Expedia are giving the best price based on the lowest price of the official dlp sites. Lots of people have commented before that the US version is usually the most expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter