Is combining Disney GC just for ease of use or for safety?

bladiator

Disney on my mind
I have heard of people jacking GC accounts before if they got a hold of the number on the back (but I haven't heard that specifically about Disney GC). Is there any need to be worried when buying a bunch of Disney GC and holding them for a trip? Or is combining them into a couple big GC specifically just for the ease of having less cards?

I have heard of people jacking GC accounts before if they got a hold of the number on the back (but I haven't heard that specifically about Disney GC). Is there any need to be worried when buying a bunch of Disney GC and holding them for a trip? Or is combining them into a couple big GC specifically just for the ease of having less cards?

I combine all of my cards onto a card that I purchased directly from Disney's website rather than from a retail store like Target. I feel like this is probably safer, since the card number was generated right before it was shipped to me and it didn't sit around in a store where someone could tamper with the card.

But I also combine for ease of use. I pay my DVC dues with gift cards and they only allow you to give them so many numbers.

I combine all of my cards onto a card that I purchased directly from Disney's website rather than from a retail store like Target. I feel like this is probably safer, since the card number was generated right before it was shipped to me and it didn't sit around in a store where someone could tamper with the card.

But I also combine for ease of use. I pay my DVC dues with gift cards and they only allow you to give them so many numbers.
Ah, that's good thinking. Thanks for the feedback!

I combine my GCs on the website and then I delete them. If I purchase at B&M store, I move them to one of my $0 Disney GCs that I purchased directly from Disney. Once I do my combining, I delete the cards from the account so there's nothing there for someone to hack into.

I also use my GCs to pay my DVC dues, so having $$$ on a single GC is important.

As long as you have the card registered, the no one can transfer the $$ off of the card also. I guess you could use it online but you can't transfer the money because the card can only be registered on line.

As long as you have the card registered, the no one can transfer the $$ off of the card also. I guess you could use it online but you can't transfer the money because the card can only be registered on line.
It's possible for someone to hack into the account, add their own GC and then transfer the funds from your registered card to their GC. Then delete everything. They could then use their GC to make purchases with your money.

It's possible for someone to hack into the account, add their own GC and then transfer the funds from your registered card to their GC. Then delete everything. They could then use their GC to make purchases with your money.
True, but it's more unlikely than other alternatives in my mind. For example, I gave my gift card # to my TA to pay off my account. Who knows if she wrote it down, left it somewhere for anyone to see. I transfer the balance off it to another card. There is a small risk having a lot of $$ on gift cards but I guess I'm comfortable with it. I wouldn't put 10,000 on cards with the intent to leave it on there for 5 years though!

would you say it's riskier to add them into the gc acct if I'm just holding onto them for 9 months,or just keep them in a drawer till needed?

There certainly is a safety factor in the transfer feature.

If you transfer everything to one card for ease of use, hold to the other physical cards, and keep them in your account. That way, if you lose the one card with everything, you can just log on and transfer it all back to another card that you have not lost.

If I were holding gift cards for 9 months, I would not just keep them in a drawer; if they get lost or misplaced, then "poof", so is your money. Register the value online, and if you lose the physical card, the value is still stored on line, and can be transferred to another card in your possession. Alternatively, you can park the value in a DVC account, which is just another option to safeguard the card value electronically.

True, but it's more unlikely than other alternatives in my mind. For example, I gave my gift card # to my TA to pay off my account. Who knows if she wrote it down, left it somewhere for anyone to see. I transfer the balance off it to another card. There is a small risk having a lot of $$ on gift cards but I guess I'm comfortable with it. I wouldn't put 10,000 on cards with the intent to leave it on there for 5 years though!
We paid off a Disney cruise with gift cards. I sat across from her as she read the numbers to Disney.

I usually delete the cards from the website after combining them, unless we’re leaving for a Disney trip. DS and I each bring a card with enough funds to cover our own estimated dining and shopping expenses. I’ll load those cards onto the website right before we leave. I bring an empty card with me that is also loaded onto the website. If for some reason I lose my gift card I can immediately transfer the balance onto the empty card before someone can drain it. I take it one step further and load a second empty card onto the website but leave that card at home. That way if my wallet gets lost/stolen, I can quickly transfer everything to the card at home, keeping everything safe until I can buy a new gift card and transfer the balance over. It’s probably overkill, but it gives me some piece of mind.

All right everyone- there's a lot of talk about people being worried their gc accounts will get hacked. Has this ACTUALLY happened to anyone? (Better safe than sorry some say but as pointed out above if someone has the number they can drain your card to another if your card isn't already registered so that argument is six to one half a dozen to the other imho.) I'm looking for someone who has actually had their gc account hacked?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter