Is Christmas Day "less" busy?

leebee

DIS Veteran
Note that "less" is in quotes... it's all relative, right?

I've been seeing on several crowd trackers that Christmas Day is less busy than the days immediately before or after Christmas, at least at Epcot or Animal Kingdom. Has anyone experienced this? I thought Christmas would be SUPER packed (but maybe only at MK?).

We have done Christmas twice in the last few years. I found that Christmas morning was less packed than I expected. We were able to do a number of the big ticket rides like Seven Dwarfs, Peter Pan, Space Mountain, Pirates and Haunted Mansion all as fairly quick walk ons. I think a lot of people still do Christmas gifts and possibly a Christmas breakfast. By 11 AM though the MK was incredibly packed and only got worse as the day progressed.

I'm pretty sure I've read that MK often reaches capacity on Christmas day. Maybe the other parks are less busy though.

Christmas Day was less busy at AK for us. However, it honestly didn't feel like Christmas Day! It probably would at MK but that park closes to capacity on that day.

I have never been at Christmas yet so I cannot offer help in that regard, but it does seem that the non-MK parks are getting a lot more Christmas stuff this year (especially AK) which I assume Disney hopes to spread the crowds around a bit more.

I have heard about people going to Disney at Christmas because they thought most people would want to be home with family and it would be a ghost town at Disney...WRONG. I don't have personal experience aside from MK. Two years ago, it took us just over 1 hour of travel time on the bus from AoA (that did not include the wait time for the bus). Anyone driving on their own would be in traffic even longer. The roads were literally a parking lot.

In contrast, Epcot on Christmas Eve was very manageable and I actually couldn't believe how few people were around for Illuminations. The 26th and onward was packed.

Despite that, it is a truly amazing time to go to Disney, as long as you keep your expectations in check. We were there Xmas 2 years ago, NYE last year, and this year we are doing both.

We found Christmas Day to be busier. By late morning we completed a series of rides due to early entrance. We were on Main Street to get an item and had a FP for Peter Plan...we also had an ADR for Afternoon Tea at the GF. We looked out from the shops doorway and literally it was a river of people or wall of packed people moving toward the castle. We estimated if we went to Peter Pan it could take an hour to get to the front gate. We decided to go well in advance of our ADR...we made it with only 10 minutes to spare. Tranportation is maxed out. Even Minnie Vans are maxed out and use drivers who cant even get you from the BC to PR, because they dont know the property (this happened to us)

We did Christmas Day in 2014 and are doing it again this year. It’s definitely busier! The park generally reaches capacity by the afternoon. The only day I find it less busy than is New Years Eve. Because that was worse than Christmas Day the year we went.

Each time we were there on Christmas day MK was diverted due to crowd capacity. Guests were diverted to other parks, noticeably AK and Epcot. If MK is a must, arrive early and leave once it gets packed (and it will).

In my opinion it is really not a good idea! Christmas time is magical at Disney no doubt! But the extreme crowds and 2 hour wait times left my family and I in a horrible mood. MK was a zoo! I’ve never seen it more crowded than on Christmas day. Yes some other parks may be *less* crowded but that is a stretch! It’s totally not worth it in my opinion.

We've decided our one park day ( :sad1: DH is a Disney-lite guy) will be on 12/24. We are going to AK and Epcot. I am excited to show DH Pandora (even if we don't get FoP FP+), my favorite show is FotLK, and we both love the Safari. I also want to take him to my new favorite watering hole, Nomad Lounge! We will head to Epcot for the evening, where we'll enjoy the Holiday Kitchens, graze around WS, enjoying the holiday decorations and staying for Epcot Forever (have you heard the music? Can't wait!). I had a CP package but decided to cancel. I am hoping to be as "chill" as possible at Disney on Christmas Eve! Our only plan for Christmas will be dinner at Boma, which is a family favorite!

I think if you get there early it is ok. People sleep in a little bit on Christmas. But by 10 to 11, it will be nuts.

We've done Christmas every year between 09-18.

We've always done MK on Christmas Day and never had a problem. We arrive at rope drop for morning EMH, get in as much as possible until 12-1pm... that's when you really start to feel the crowds, so we leave for the day.

"Less" crowded... a little? I mean, 12/31 is typically the MOST crowded day. In past years, it's always seemed like 12/27, 12/28 wound up being more crowded. There were a few years when they scheduled a runDisney event for early January and that really added to the crowds.

Animal Kingdom used to be the go-to on Christmas Day, but I'm sure with the new decorations and all that it'll see some good crowds.

So, yes, I'd say it's a bit less crowded (or feels that way) on 12/25 than the rest of the week. It also does depend on when Christmas falls. It's on a Wednesday this year, so people may be more inclined to extend their trip into the weekend rather than leave.

I think free dining goes through 12/22, so many people may check in on that Sunday this year then stay a week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter