Is Catalina Island worth a day trip?

oceanscape

DIS Veteran
We are staying at Disneyland for 8 nights so want to explore some other Sothern California attractions. Do you think a day trip to Catalina Island is worthwhile, or will it be just as good to check out some of the local beaches?

Thanks!

I went on a cruise in October and one of the stops was Catalina Island for the day. It is beautiful, we did two tours, glass bottom boat tour and a tour of Avalone, we enjoyed lunch outdoors on the harbour. The local people are great and friendly, we plan to go again this October when we do our road trip to Southern California. If you can swing it, go you won't be dissapointed.

We are staying at Disneyland for 8 nights so want to explore some other Sothern California attractions. Do you think a day trip to Catalina Island is worthwhile, or will it be just as good to check out some of the local beaches?

Thanks!

Catalina is just a short ferry ride away but plan on spending the entire day there. If you have kids, you might want to go kayaking.

Check out all the various activities on this website:

http://www.catalina.com/main.html

Catalina is just a short ferry ride away but plan on spending the entire day there. If you have kids, you might want to go kayaking.

Check out all the various activities on this website:

http://www.catalina.com/main.html
We are staying at Hyatt Huntington Beach in June. Where would we get the shuttle to Catalina Island? How much does the shuttle cost? Thank you

You should be able to get a Ferry at the Long Beach Harbor. You can also get a Ferry in the Los Angeles Harbor as well.

The Ferry ride is an hour and a half one way.

Definitely worth it to spend a day in Catalina!

I think it would be hard to just spend one day because you won't want to leave.

You can also catch the boat to Catalina in Newport Beach. It would take about 15 minutes to reach the Balboa location.

Catalina Island is awsome... the boat ride is great! the glass bottom boats are fun too. you should definatley go.

Thanks!

I think it depends on your finances. If money isn't an issue, I'd DEFINATELY head over to Catalina and do a couple of their tours. DEFINATELY do a glass bottom tour or their new "sub" boat ride. All of their ocean tours are worth the money, so get a package with a few tours.

If money is an issue, I'd go to Newport beach/ Balboa Pier or Santa Monica Beach/ Santa Monica Pier. Both have amusement type places and nice beaches, you can find coupons online for the amusement rides. Going to Dana Point and checking out the tide pools is fun, too. You are only charged for parking (as it is a beach) and you can walk over the rocks and check out the tidal pools and see all sorts of animals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter