Is Cat V concierge worth $600/night?

NewEngland47

Earning My Ears
We are booking a 7 night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy next Jan and were planning to stay in a 4E. To book a Cat V concierge instead would be about 4K more for myself, my husband and our 8 year old son (or roughly $600 more per night.). Having never sailed concierge I’m not sure if it’s worth it. But we both drink so happy hour would be appreciated, we both enjoy luxury service and we all love hot tubs. It’s also my husband’s first cruise. Having never been to the Caribbean we would also likely benefit from concierge advice for excursions. But all that being said $600 more a night is a lot - thoughts? TIA!

It's really going to depend on your priorities and what you, personally, can afford. For me? Nothing is worth $600 per night. For that kind of money you could buy all the drinks you wanted at the bars, dine every night in Palo or Remy, and still come out way, waaay ahead. Part of what you're paying for though is, as you said, the luxury service and exclusive access to certain areas on the ship. Are you going to spend a lot of your time in the concierge area? Take full advantage of those services? And more importantly, is it going to create hardship for you to spend that much additional money?

Agree with above. I would say, if you're hoping to get a cabana on CC it's definitely helpful (not necessarily necessary but very helpful!). It's a lovely, quiet area and the hot tub isn't nearly as crowded (usually) as the ones on the main deck. We have almost come to the conclusion that Concierge is great on the newer ships (Dream and Fantasy) and very nice but not a requirement on the smaller ships. Of course, only you can decide in the end what is worth it to you. Either way, a 7 night cruise in January sounds very relaxing. Have fun!

My family has only cruised Concierge once, it was a 3 night at the end of August and it was very affordable. Like $3400 for a family of 5. That being said, it was incredible. The lounge and all its goodies, morning snacks, two cocktail hours in the evening and late night snacks. The Concierge Team thee for your every whim.

We booked a Cabana on CC, it was fantastic! Shoreside called me at home and help me book the Cabana, Palo and our excursion.

I ate so much at th cocktail hours (yes, both) that I kind of killed my appetite for Palo. But the hors d’oeuvres were so yummy! And if you like to cocktail...wow.
Plus, the espresso machine, specialty coffee, cappuccino, hot chocolate and espresso.

Four thousand extra is out of our price range, but it’s sound like it’s a really special cruise. I say if you can swing it, go for it.

We were on Dream. I know since they have upgraded the sun deck lounge and have the extra water features like the Fanatasy.

Good luck.

We sailed on the Dream in concierge this past Dec. We have sailed many times without and to be honest, probably will stick to without. Yes it’s nice getting the cabana, and basically any shore excursion and ship activity you want, but for me and my family, the cost doesn’t justify it. There are nice snacks, popcorn for the theater and canned pop, but again, we really feel as though the service and snacks throughout the ship are just as nice. We always have had great service on Disney. For my personal answer to your question, I would much rather save that money and sail in a 4E or 5E- love those categories!! Good luck and have fun!!

I am of the belief that if you have to ask the question the way you asked it, it is not worth it. If it was phrased , it is only $600 more a night it might be worth it. If you didn't need to ask you know whether it is worth it to you.

This is a really good point. When I've been looking at future cruise itineraries, I've been thinking "is that sum within my travel budget," without concerning myself over what I'm paying per night. If you're at a point where you're breaking the cost out by night and really side-eying it and thinking it's a lot to pay for an upgrade, that's probably a sign that you'll get more worry from spending the extra money than enjoyment from what you get in return.

If it were a suite, I would say you would get so much more for the price difference such as in suite dining and lots more space and it might be worth it. We have always sailed concierge and it is luxurious, but for that amount, in only a V, that is a large amount to justify and you could have another chunk of a cruise paid for. Enjoy your cruise!

I’m all for concierge if it’s in your budget. But a warning, since it’s your husband’s first cruise you WILL spoil him for doing anything else on future cruises. We did concierge on our first so I set the family’s expectations pretty high.

As for the cost difference, the difference between a cat 4 and Cat V for my August 7-night Northern Europe trip was similar ($4600) for a family of 4.

We are booking a 7 night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy next Jan and were planning to stay in a 4E. To book a Cat V concierge instead would be about 4K more for myself, my husband and our 8 year old son (or roughly $600 more per night.). Having never sailed concierge I’m not sure if it’s worth it. But we both drink so happy hour would be appreciated, we both enjoy luxury service and we all love hot tubs. It’s also my husband’s first cruise. Having never been to the Caribbean we would also likely benefit from concierge advice for excursions. But all that being said $600 more a night is a lot - thoughts? TIA!
Of course it's not worth it; that's a lot of money per night.

We have done it, loved it. Would do it again, but the cost was only about $1500 more total for 4 nights. And it was on the Dream. No one knows your finances better than you. And what makes sense. But that is certainly a very large chunk of $$ towards another cruise. Good luck with your decision. You will have a wonderful cruise no matter which room you are in. Enjoy!

We've sailed both concierge and non concierge and have enjoyed both!

The price difference between both seems to have increased a lot and seems to grow year after year.

As such, nowadays, I find myself asking if I would rather do another cruise with the money or upgrade to concierge? Usually the answer ends up being another cruise! You could do another week on the Fantasy in January for 3 people for the cost of the upgrade. B2B cruises are awesome!

If you need advice about excursions - ask here on the Dis! Advice here comes free!

Every time I look at concierge, I realize I can get 2 4As for less than the price of one Cat V.

Definitely not always the case. For my next cruise, two 4As were over $26k. One CatV was $17k.

Attachments

• 706ACB22-DB76-4CCF-BB5C-9ADBCB4480F5.jpeg
    706ACB22-DB76-4CCF-BB5C-9ADBCB4480F5.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 39
It really does come down to how you vacation and what is important to you. For me, it is not about affording it or not. It is about perceived value. I would need much more than a few cocktails and a few extra square feet to justify $4200 more a week.

For Cat. T, S or R, I wouldn't hesitate, lots of extra space, full dining tables and multiple bathrooms plus the full in suite dining perk. For a Cat. V which is just a better decorated Cat. 4, probably not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter