Is Cabanas really closed?

To be clear, Cabanas is not a buffet at dinner. It is table service with a set menu.
Thanks. Wasn't aware they stopped doing the dinner buffet.

EDITED: Even the Google summary still lists it as a buffet
"
Cabanas - Disney Cruise Line

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/onboard-activities/cabanas-restaurant/

Cabanas is a novel, free-flowing buffet experience serving made-to-order ... along a picturesque Australian beach—with an occasional splash of Disney magic."

We've only been cruising since 2010/2011 NYE cruise but in that time Cabanas has not been a buffet at least on most cruises. Apparently on the Magic in some European ports a buffet dinner is sometimes an option. And IIRC on our 8 day cruise out of Galveston in I think 2013, a buffet was an option on our WDW day as so many people had a long day in the parks. My guess is that the the description in your quote refers to breakfast and lunch. It seems many people aren't even aware a sit-down meal in Cabanas is an option at dinner.

Lol, no, not my first cruise. My signature shows 4 completed and 2 more in queue.

We have Palo scheduled the 2nd night. I’ve never been to Cabanas for dinner so I thought that would be great our 3rd (last) night. During my 4 previous cruises we *had* to eat MDR for every single meal beacause my DD had a peanut allergy (since cured). We were actually looking forward to trying something OTHER than MDR. Think about how much of your day is taken up when you do MDR for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every. single. day. Don’t get me wrong, they were absolutely amazing! We are just looking forward to checking out other options now. All that food by the pool? Yep, never been there either.

Just curious, how did they cure your daughter's peanut allergy? That's usually a lifelong thing. My DD also has a peanut allergy, and I'd love to know more about your daughter's treatment.

Thanks. Wasn't aware they stopped doing the dinner buffet.

EDITED: Even the Google summary still lists it as a buffet
"
Cabanas - Disney Cruise Line

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/onboard-activities/cabanas-restaurant/
Cabanas is a novel, free-flowing buffet experience serving made-to-order ... along a picturesque Australian beach—with an occasional splash of Disney magic."
or savor table-service dining nightly
If you click "show more"
Dinner
If you’re looking to “hang ten” and enjoy dinner under the stars while basking in the night breezes—or perhaps you simply prefer a more subdued setting inside the restaurant with an ocean view—you’re invited to dine at Cabanas in place of your scheduled Main Dining restaurant. Bedecked in linen tablecloths and napkins, dinner at Cabanas features signature dishes from the Main Dining restaurants plus a menu of exclusive lip-smacking delicacies over a tantalizing 4-course meal.

For an additional fee, cocktails and specialty drinks can be ordered from the full-service Clam Bar.

We have been to Cabanas several times for dinner. During our 12 night Med cruise, they served dinner as a buffet for a couple of nights. On our Bermuda cruise last October, half of Cabanas was open late for a scaled down buffet. We were so thankful DCL did this because our evening excursion listed chicken and side salads for dinner; it was really lacking. We saw several groups from our tour in Cabanas eating after the excursion.

Just curious, how did they cure your daughter's peanut allergy? That's usually a lifelong thing. My DD also has a peanut allergy, and I'd love to know more about your daughter's treatment.

She went to an experienced doctor for oral immunotherapy. She was given microscopic amounts of peanut flour and, over an entire year, slowly increased it until she could tolerate about 4 peanuts at a time. She took 4 peanuts every day for another year of maintenance and at the very end, ate 20 peanuts to “graduate.” Now she takes 10 peanuts a night to maintain her desensitization. There are faster protocols but I felt safest with the slowest, most conservative one possible.

Before starting the program she was a Class 6 (off the charts) on her blood RAST and had mild asthma when sick. Oh, and eczema. Which she still has occasionally (cat allergies). She nearly died when she was 2 (the day we found out about the peanut allergy). I just mention all that because some people think that if they are severe they cannot do OIT.. It’s not true. If you want more info or have questions, feel free to send me a private message. I have to tell you, it has been life-changing. She is in college now and her freedom and safety are honestly life-changing.

My wife and I have been on 8 cruises. We feel the dinner dining experience is one of our least favorite parts of the cruise. The servers work hard and there are no complaints there. We feel that "The Show" is far more important than "The Food" at dinner. And "The Show" at Tianna's or Animator's Palate can be very loudy (my word). On our last cruise we ate dinner in our room every night (room service). We've done this once before. Our servers called and left us a message to please come down to dinner and they would seat us anywhere we liked or even change our meal time; which was kind. We do go to Cabana's when we can so that it is a little quieter and doesn't take as long. But to each his own, all God's children.

DH and I often don't want to go to the MDRs (too loud, takes a long time, have to be there at a specific time), and our only complaint about DCL is lack of options for something else for dinner. Are we "deprived" of food? No. But we'd appreciate another option.

Are you serious. It actually says this "or savor table-service dining nightly" in the second line. It doesn't even matter if it said that or not. A summary is just that. They can't explain everything in 2-3 sentences that you need to know about all of the dining on the ship.
Yes I am serious. It was a buffet. That has changed. And a quick check seemed to confirm it. NBD.

Do you recall when it was a buffet? We've been sailing since 2008 and it's always been sit-down.
I don't. If you search you may find some threads about the switch, because some were not happy. But those may have been before the server upgrade that erased lots of threads.
I've been cruising since 1980 and it is interesting how much has changed. Mandatory formal nights gone. Casual everything in. Midnight buffets gone. Dining options shifting from one dining room, to a dining room and a buffet, to a dining room and extra cost restaurants.

Not in the summary.

Here is what it says for dinner. Not sure what part of 4-course meal translates to buffet...

Dinner
If you’re looking to “hang ten” and enjoy dinner under the stars while basking in the night breezes—or perhaps you simply prefer a more subdued setting inside the restaurant with an ocean view—you’re invited to dine at Cabanas in place of your scheduled Main Dining restaurant. Bedecked in linen tablecloths and napkins, dinner at Cabanas features signature dishes from the Main Dining restaurants plus a menu of exclusive lip-smacking delicacies over a tantalizing 4-course meal.

Here is what it says for dinner. Not sure what part of 4-course meal translates to buffet...

Dinner
Yes. No need to beat a dead horse. It is no longer a buffet.

My wife and I have been on 8 cruises. We feel the dinner dining experience is one of our least favorite parts of the cruise. The servers work hard and there are no complaints there. We feel that "The Show" is far more important than "The Food" at dinner. And "The Show" at Tianna's or Animator's Palate can be very loudy (my word). On our last cruise we ate dinner in our room every night (room service). We've done this once before. Our servers called and left us a message to please come down to dinner and they would seat us anywhere we liked or even change our meal time; which was kind. We do go to Cabana's when we can so that it is a little quieter and doesn't take as long. But to each his own, all God's children.

Sounds like us! We have seen the dinner "shows" multiple times and we really dont enjoy the long meals in the MDRs. We have eaten dinner in Cabanas a few times. It was very quiet, off a menu and there were only about 25 tables set. Nice option for those that want dinner at a certain time or just want a quicker place to eat. Like you said, to each his own.

I might eat in cabanas for breakfast occasionally. Otherwise I grab something from as I’m drinking my latte. I eat on the deck for lunch usually a salad or burger and the only time we miss a dining room is to go to Palo. We have been on over 20 Disney cruises and for us the MDR is just part of the experience. Also my husband and I don’t like buffets because there is just toooooo much food! But I’m glad others like cabanas for dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter