Is booking at 7 month window getting harder

I won't mind staying at those three large resorts mentioned above. Would like to try to get a studio at the Poly as well. But we will generally travel during the cooler times. My husband refuses to go back when it is hot. I like looking at the very end of January, very beginning of February and the very end of February. Maybe a December visit as well.

Studios are the most popular units. Late January/early February should be easier than other times. But forget December. This is one of the most popular times for DVC and incredibly difficult to book... even at 11 months, some people wind up walking their reservations... low points, Christmas decorations, etc. If you want to go then, book your home resort. You can try to switch at 7 months but at least you will have a place to stay.

I think one problem could be Aulani, people bought there not planning to go there often. Also the rental market flourishing.

As I mentioned up thread, I got a studio at BCV for last Christmas week. I just booked it right at 7 month window.
I also forgot to mention my twin DDs and their friend went this past Memorial weekend (4 nights) for their senior week trip. They wanted a studio at BCV and I got it ,again, by booking 8am on the 7 month window. I also got a savannah view studio at AKV for my mom and I. All booked with OKW points.

The first time we stayed at BCV was end of January 2013. I was able to get a 2BR with 2 queens in the 2nd bedroom which was a special rare booking back then ( I think all have 2 queens put in with the renovations....dedicated 2BR). Booked with OKW points. And it was in the 80s the week we were there. Plus the pool is heated so we could use it. Fell in love with BCV that trip.

Just to give a picture...I will check what's available for 7 months from now....June 9....1:20pm so 7 month window has been open for over 5 hours....be right back....
CCV and BCV studios have 1 day missing (CCV is missing June 9 and somehow BCV is missing June 10). But both can still maybe be grabbed tomorrow or next day. And all other WDW resorts have some studio views fully available.

Last edited:
I used to really love Christmas at Disney...but sometimes you just want to see Disney without all the Holiday stuff around. Point costs are still really low and the weather is fantastic but I want pictures that aren't filled with trees and wreaths!

Is it harder? Yes, I would say that it's gotten harder since we first bought in. I remember standing on Main Street and having so much fun, that DH called and extended our stay at BCV for 2 more days during Food & Wine. I believe it was also Columbus Day weekend. Probably couldn't do that now without some major pixie dust. On the other hand, if we're not picky, we usually get in somewhere, and get fairly close to what we want. I just added a room for 12/15-18 a couple of weeks ago. We were waitlisted for one night for around 3 days, and it came through (OKW). We are also staying at Copper Creek in the beginning of December. I wouldn't hold my breath on a last minute reservation opening up there.

Studios are the most popular units. Late January/early February should be easier than other times. But forget December. This is one of the most popular times for DVC and incredibly difficult to book... even at 11 months, some people wind up walking their reservations... low points, Christmas decorations, etc. If you want to go then, book your home resort. You can try to switch at 7 months but at least you will have a place to stay.
Oh, I wouldn't even try. I would be content with any DVC then, which would be my home resort.

Simple answer, yes it’s getting harder to book at the 7 month window. I’ve only owned for 12 years and I’ve seen the difference.

Booked BCV 2BR at 11 months and wanted to switch to BLT 2BR at 7 months - Marathon weekend and could only book BLT from Monday on....so we're doing a split stay - F/S BCV and M/T/W/Th at BLT
What about Sunday night? Hope you booked something then. At least BCV for Fri through Mon morning (three nights).

As more resorts are added to the system, more people buy the resort they want to stay at at book before the seven month window opens. The number of people who have bought BWV or BCV just to stay there is significant. People don't buy the Poly and then plan to stay out at SSR (or if they did, they aren't smart). More resorts make the seven month problem worse, simply because each resort adds more people who are looking to switch, while rooms are not added to GFV or BCV (two resorts where people bought because they want to stay there).

The longer resorts are open, the more this will come into play. No one is buying a BCV resale now so they can switch over to SSR. They aren't buying a BCV resale now so they can switch anywhere - they buy it intending to stay at BCV for the majority of their trips. You don't buy a more expensive resort resale to use your points at a cheaper resort - not with any frequency.

My guess....Riveria will bring in a lot of people eager to get into the system - but it won't take any pressure off BCV, BWV, GFV, BLT, etc. It will just add pressure to those resorts.

A fair rule of thumb is that the older the resort, the more likely resale buyers of today are buying to stay there. Whatever is live selling (i.e., not sold out), people may think they can buy and stay anywhere.

People buying VGF or BWV or BCV in resale are not buying to play the field. SSR buyers in resale may be, but are probably fairly well-educated buyers.

(Arguable exception case to the age rule would be HHI and VB. People buy because the per point is seemingly cheap, do not consider the dues, and do not realize that the lack of 11 month on property may be an issue much of the year.)

I am an owner since before the dawn of time. I have never had a problem at 7 months, but I also never get a studio. Even if it just my wife and I we have only gotten a studio once and decided never again. Now that we are retired, it is even easier, since plus or minus a few days of even weeks doesn't really matter.

Yes I feel the 7 month window is getting more difficult. When we first purchased in 09, the 7 month window was much easier. We actually booked a weekend in october for mid december at BWV...that is near impossible now. I am now starting to plan out my possible long weekends in the 11 month window.

A fair rule of thumb is that the older the resort, the more likely resale buyers of today are buying to stay there. Whatever is live selling (i.e., not sold out), people may think they can buy and stay anywhere.

People buying VGF or BWV or BCV in resale are not buying to play the field. SSR buyers in resale may be, but are probably fairly well-educated buyers.

(Arguable exception case to the age rule would be HHI and VB. People buy because the per point is seemingly cheap, do not consider the dues, and do not realize that the lack of 11 month on property may be an issue much of the year.)

You are correct - I purchased both BCV and GFV - neither of which am I willing to trade into other resorts. However, I also purchased SSR resale, which I will trade into other resorts - but we really love SSR too, so we tend to stay at our home resorts. We have tried BLT and AKV (both I love too, especially AKV, but since AKV is easier to book in the 7 month window we did not buy there, but...the value and concierge rooms make it tempting.

We own at three locations, BWV, HHI, and SSR. The first two were purchased to exclusively use at these resorts at the 11 month booking window (F&W and summer months). SSR points are used for various purposes.

I booked Poly studio at 11 months for first week of June. At 7 months I moved GFV one bedroom standard view. At that time, BC two bedrooms was not available which was my second choice. Today over a week past my seven months, Poly studios not available or GFV one bed standard view. I am so excited to try GFV. I am new to DVC so this will be my second stay on my points.

We own BWV for booking only at BWV. SSR and OKW points we'll use to stay where ever.

The addition of points isn't a problem as long as the added points are desirable. While a new DVC means others wanting hard to get reservations, as long as that is coupled with the creation of new desirable rooms then it all balances out. CCV owners trying to book BWV balances with BWV owners trying to check out CCV. The problem comes when DVC adds something that people DO NOT want. I eye the bungalows and cabins with great suspicion. That is a huge chunk of points that are trying to book outside of bungalows, and I don't see much demand the opposite way.

SSR is arguably in the same category, though that is already baked into current practices. (I own at SSR and have never stayed there... sorry)

The addition of points isn't a problem as long as the added points are desirable. While a new DVC means others wanting hard to get reservations, as long as that is coupled with the creation of new desirable rooms then it all balances out. CCV owners trying to book BWV balances with BWV owners trying to check out CCV. The problem comes when DVC adds something that people DO NOT want. I eye the bungalows and cabins with great suspicion. That is a huge chunk of points that are trying to book outside of bungalows, and I don't see much demand the opposite way.

SSR is arguably in the same category, though that is already baked into current practices. (I own at SSR and have never stayed there... sorry)

I don't necessarily agree. The system is so large now, that a resort that is desirable - like VGF - really hasn't impacted availability, except to make another resort - VGF - challenging to book at seven months. When a desirable resort opens, people buy to book there and the "own where you want to stay" problem just continues.

This is in part because BWV owners don't necessarily want to stay at CCR, even if its a desirable resort.....a lot of people don't tend to book anything other than home. They might try a new resort, but they are still likely to spend the majority of their room nights at home - and not move often enough to move the balance. And, if the new resort is desirable, and they are happy at home, they might just not want to play the seven month switch game.

It would have to be a very large desirable resort to have any positive impact.

I think, potentially, legacy owners of places like OKW and BWV may like trying the new resorts. The question is really how many contracts have turned over. People buying BWV today, whether direct or via resale, really are buying to stay there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter