Is Bob Chapek A Greedy Miser?

Is Bob Chapek greedy? No. Is it possible they're not being strategic in their longterm brand upkeep and theme park management? Possibly. Though for all the coverage of these massive cuts, nothing immediately terrible has happened. To the contrary, Disney is launching new entertainment, re-adding attractions, and expanding hours at multiple properties.

I'm still waiting for doomsday.

Is Bob Chapek greedy? No. Is it possible they're not being strategic in their longterm brand upkeep and theme park management? Possibly. Though for all the coverage of these massive cuts, nothing immediately terrible has happened. To the contrary, Disney is launching new entertainment, re-adding attractions, and expanding hours at multiple properties.

I'm still waiting for doomsday.

Let me help you with that bucket...

You can disagree...but it's silly to dismiss the notion with such little thought. Disney does many things wrong on a daily basis - to continually dismiss the reality of that does one thing: it drives my prices up.

Okay, this maybe not important, but this is just in case of which choice should I choose to believe.

Prepare yourself: https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/...hapek-his-legacy-and-the-impact-to-disneyland

So tell me, is this true or is it a little bit a fanatic exaggeration?

It's probably a little overZealous...no doubt...

But there's a lot to not like about this guy...

He appears by reputation to be the classic "it's good enough...just sell it" carpetbaggibg salesman type that are all over public corporations now. The antithesis of the design of Disney parks.

But listen...it's hard to be as useless as the Avon man - paul pressler - was...

That bar is so low that it's impossible not to come in over it.

These types of conversation always fascinate me. I think fans should always remember that hindsight is 20/20.

Disney fans herald Eisner as a hero nowadays (saving the company from corporate raiders, massively expanding WDW's offerings, galvanizing the studio, etc...) but often forget he was loathed at the time, especially for the last 5 or so years of his tenure. We quickly forget about the mishaps with Disneyland Paris, DCA, Pixar/WDAS, and others, because we look at the larger picture ten years after his departure, and see those as ultimately correctable mistakes for the most part (I am and always have been a huge Eisner fan btw).

We now look at someone like Iger with some disdain because of his "caretaker" attitude towards the Disney Parks, specifically WDW. In fact, the term "mature resort" has become a hallmark around the hallways in Burbank these days. His focus is in other places, and the reasons for that probably won't become evident until after he's out the door. I theorize that he'll be looked at as someone who re-galvanized WDAS, shored up domestic park attendance and expansion, and modernized the Disney brand by expanding it to include franchises like Marvel and Star War, which they are making very relevant again.

Of course, this becomes a bit murkier when you go down to the WDP&R level. With Bob Chapek, yes, you have someone who comes from a merchandise background, so of course, he's going to be motivated to look for ways to increase guest spending, but he's also bringing a long-term vision (something that people often forget is critical in retail) to the parks, something I think Staggs was trying to do. He brings a new, fresh attitude and perspective to the parks I think too. If you like Soarin' Around the World, thank him. They want to wait a few years before bringing to the States, but his line of thinking (using a retail comparison of course) was "if I have a popular toy in one store, do I wait a few years to bring it to other stores?" No, of course not. You follow guest demand. The same could be said for Star Wars Land. Bob was the one pushing for something to be done ASAP, because if you have a really popular franchise, you don't want to wait any longer than you have to sell tie-ins for it (i.e. merch, theme parks, etc...). While 2019 still doesn't qualify as "ASAP" in my opinion, I firmly believe that, had it not been for him and some other execs, this would have been delayed to WDW's 50th. He also pushed for the added Star Wars experiences to DHS in an effort to expand that brand in that park ASAP. The same logic could be applied to the ToT overlay in DCA.

Am I trying to tell you the guy's perfect? Not at all. I'm not happy with many of the cuts at WDW and fewer new attraction. But you've got to understand that Disney and the parks aren't run by an autocrat. Every decision, cut, expenditure, and problem is run by many, many people, many of which are in executive positions. And not every executive decision regarding WDW is run by Chapeck. The management at WDW has largely been behind some of the latest cuts and premium pricing (outside of the park ticket increases). Now, some of those cuts are surely being approved by him, and the need for them does come from a climate that is set at the top by Chapek, but it is worth noting that many at Team Disney Orlando are feeling a bit of pressure right now from Chapek particularly to up their service game. He has been apparently quite vocal about his admiration for the way DL, TDL, and DCL are being run (i.e. making lots of money, not having to make as many cuts, providing top-notch service) and his desire to see that return to WDW. Talking about is one thing though, but doing it is another thing entirely.

So, ultimately, I think it's hard to characterize an exec as "good" or "bad" or "greedy," despite what we all think. These decisions and cuts are complicated, and while I'm not in love with what has come about because of Chapek, I also look at the other side of the coin as well.

ok disney doesnt give 6-10 return. and when bean counters get involved like paul pressler, the parks are the ones that pay the price. but right now exes at disney are going to jump through hoops to show the board how great they are and how much money they can get out of their departments in order to be considered for Iger's job unfortunately at the expense of the guests. but if things get too bad I suggest that you email disney or write a snail mail to them and even if you get a canned response know that if enough guests complain things will change

ok disney doesnt give 6-10 return. and when bean counters get involved like paul pressler, the parks are the ones that pay the price. but right now exes at disney are going to jump through hoops to show the board how great they are and how much money they can get out of their departments in order to be considered for Iger's job unfortunately at the expense of the guests. but if things get too bad I suggest that you email disney or write a snail mail to them and even if you get a canned response know that if enough guests complain things will change

Indeed...

The perpetually "murky" line of succession has been a problem at Disney FOREVER. First...you had to have a DNA link to the family picnic...then after Eisner "blossomed" you had to be a mindless subservient (cough...bob...cough) for decades and "lay low"...because you can't say a word in front of the king and you have to work there - or you'll never be in charge because you dont know "the Disney way"

It's a cluster.

The last legitimate executive search was a combo of the two...a once in a lifetime "event horizon". Roy E bringing in an experienced Hollywood businessman and a little screwy, but energetic creative guy who was chomping at the bit...

Frank wells and Michael Eisner.

If only...

And to the previous point...it is true that many critics have a new fondness for MDE...I'm one of them. I wanted him to go in 2003. Read the newspapers (remember those?) and watched CNBC for developments. His xenophobia and flaws running unchecked in late years buried the incredible leadership he showed for about the first 10...

So what is the problem there? Where Eisner and Iger have now intersected: too damn long.

That's where we are now...just too long. Iger needs to GO. And flush guys like chapek with him.

If stock brokers burn in 10 years...why in the hell is it reasonable to think a Disney CEO can be "good" at 15 or 20?

It's not...as much as the street likes "stability", they lose money when these guys develop mad hatter syndrome in the dwarf building. Too much.

Eisner lost it at 15 and the house collapsed at 20...

Iger is hinting around at 2018...do some math and see where that puts him.

So, what happens if Bob Chapek is the next CEO of Disney? Will it be a disney apocalypse?

So, what happens if Bob Chapek is the next CEO of Disney? Will it be a disney apocalypse?
I would be very surprised if he got that job. The board has said they want to look outside the company. He also doesn't have enough experience in other parts of the company such as movies and TV to be in that position.

Hmm this looks familiar, is it Disney?

Second person: No, it's Kiddieland.

Well, now since he became a likely successor of being the new ceo, but I'm scared what happens if he destroys the legacy of Walt Disney and maybe get rid of Mickey Mouse and friends or maybe get rid of the classics that weren't use as merchandise lately? How should I trust him if he's elected?

One advantage of a privately own company, the company keeps all the profit. A publicly traded company has to pay the investors first before anything else.

I know this is old news and forgive me to bring this up again, but I keep seeing negative reactions about Bob Chapek in chat forums and twitter. They even called him the next Paul Pressler. And there maybe a chance that he might be the next CEO of Disney in 2021 or 2022. I don't know if I should give him a chance or not.

I know this is old news and forgive me to bring this up again, but I keep seeing negative reactions about Bob Chapek in chat forums and twitter. They even called him the next Paul Pressler. And there maybe a chance that he might be the next CEO of Disney in 2021 or 2022. I don't know if I should give him a chance or not.
I’m not sure what you want for an answer but most Disney executives right now are pretty much the same. I’m not sure he will become CEO though there seems to be better options out there.

I just watched this video on youtube and it help me realize that he might have a good point:
while Bob Chapek is not perfect right now, but if he was chosen as the new CEO of Disney, I want to hear what he wants to do with the company first before passing judgement. So, who know? Maybe he could be a different person and respects the classics even though he's trying to impress Bob Iger. I decided to give him a chance, if he's chosen.

I just watched this video on youtube and it help me realize that he might have a good point:
while Bob Chapek is not perfect right now, but if he was chosen as the new CEO of Disney, I want to hear what he wants to do with the company first before passing judgement. So, who know? Maybe he could be a different person and respects the classics even though he's trying to impress Bob Iger. I decided to give him a chance, if he's chosen.
Unless you get a meeting with him I’m not sure he’s going to discuss what his goals would be if he were CEO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!