is Boardwalk Inn appropriate for 14 year old?

chucksusanandgrace

Mouseketeer
We are trying to decide where to vacation. We've been several times to POR and Wilderness Lodge. We LOVE how you can take a boat to MK from Wilderness.

We don't want to end up at the Boardwalk Inn and be stuck with a bunch of drunks? lol

Please let me know your thoughts. It doesn't look very exciting, but Beach Club is not available and we can't stay at YC due to them allowed pets in the property.

Thank you.

For us, being on Bay Lake/7 Seas Lagoon with the water taxi is huge. Less so obviously if you're not spending much time in MK. We just came back from a stay at YC the first of December. I am very allergic to dogs, and had no trouble over there at all, so I'm not sure if I was just lucky or if Disney is just doing that good of a job. On the Boardwalk, people do drink but we did not notice any problems or blatant drunken behavior. Again, not sure this is the exception or the rule, but I wouldn't let it stop you from staying at BWI if you want. If I were 14 though, I would probably be happier elsewhere.

Boardwalk Inn is fine for a 14 year old. The Boardwalk is actually pretty tame. Jelly Rolls does do a decent crowd of adults for drinking and entertainment, but that is usually after 10:30- 11:00 on.

the carnival atmosphere with some neat entertainment on the actual boardwalk is actually more suited for kids.

We have only stayed at the Boardwalk one time, hotel side and was on the backside right above the courtyard and the honeymoon cottages. Was actually the quietest room we have ever had at WDW.

Get yourself and that 14 year old some ice cream at Ample Hills.

Also, if you liked the transportation/boat to Mk from WL, you will love the boats on crescent lake that take you to Epcot and Studios. Or you can just walk if you want. Great location. Love the boatride home from Studios at night with the hotel lightts, passing Swan and Dolphin....

What makes you think that people staying at BWI are a bunch of drunks? Admittedly, I’ve only stayed there on one trip, but I’ve seen nothing of the sort. All Disney resorts are appropriate for everyone.

And as an FYI, service dogs are allowed at all resorts.

I've stayed at BWI several times. My nieces and nephew loved being able to go to Epcot and HS so easily. I don't think I've ever seen drunken behavior on the boardwalk; but I've seen it at Epcot during F&W in the evenings.

I remember a couple threads going on in November talking about drunk people in Epcot during food and wine. I don’t think it’s an issue as far as being overly disruptive though, and I don’t think it’s something you need to worry about staying at Boardwalk.

DH & I have stayed at the BWI every year for the last seven years & have never seen a "bunch of drunks" or any drunks for that matter. I think it's a fine resort for a 14 year old or for any age for that matter-it's Disney after all. But if you don't think it looks very exciting then don't stay there, find a resort that's more to your liking & enjoy your time there.

For us, being on Bay Lake/7 Seas Lagoon with the water taxi is huge. Less so obviously if you're not spending much time in MK. We just came back from a stay at YC the first of December. I am very allergic to dogs, and had no trouble over there at all, so I'm not sure if I was just lucky or if Disney is just doing that good of a job. On the Boardwalk, people do drink but we did not notice any problems or blatant drunken behavior. Again, not sure this is the exception or the rule, but I wouldn't let it stop you from staying at BWI if you want. If I were 14 though, I would probably be happier elsewhere.
What place were you thinking for 14 year old? I just made another post about BC??? We already were at WL. Poly, Contemporary is too expensive

What makes you think that people staying at BWI are a bunch of drunks? Admittedly, I’ve only stayed there on one trip, but I’ve seen nothing of the sort. All Disney resorts are appropriate for everyone.

And as an FYI, service dogs are allowed at all resorts.
Yes, I should not assume there are a bunch of drunks. I didn't mean to come off sounding so rude. I do realize service dogs are allowed everywhere. We do not want to stay at a resort that allows dogs due to allergies, plus we wouldn't want to sleep in a room with previous dogs. Thank you

With pet allergies as a concern I would make sure that you have the allergy noted on your reservation since there is always the possibility that a service dog was a previos resident of any guest room on property. Service dogs still leave fur anf dander behind after their stay.

What place were you thinking for 14 year old? I just made another post about BC??? We already were at WL. Poly, Contemporary is too expensive

Although I'm in my 40's now, I started visiting WDW in 84' and spent many summers enjoying many of the resorts as a kid. What I actually remember enjoying most about days away from the parks were things like bike rentals at Fort Wilderness, canoeing there, water sprites on Bay Lake, beach volleyball at the Contemporary, and of course the pools. I guess it probably depends on what the specific kids are in to, but as nice a BWI seems for adults, I can't imagine my 14-year old self not getting bored there. Just one opinion.

With pet allergies as a concern I would make sure that you have the allergy noted on your reservation since there is always the possibility that a service dog was a previous resident of any guest room

Yes -this. I should have mentioned it in my first post, but I did call ahead to be sure to communicate this to central reservations before our stay.

BWI is my DS10's absolute favorite resort. He loves the pool (thinks the slide is awesome), loves the entertainment at night, Ample Hills, going to ESPN (he loves watching the games) and loves walking to DHS and EP. I have never seen any drunks on the Boardwalk and we've stayed there multiple times. It's a great resort for tweens and teens, IMHO.

We stayed at BWI last summer and loved it! My oldest is younger than 14, but we had a great time (no alcohol involved) on the boardwalk in the evenings watching the performers and getting ice cream at Ample Hills. My DD loved the pools and sitting outside on the porch or in the Bellevue Lounge. I had a quiet and peaceful stay there (like someone else, I found my quietest Disney stay was at BWI). After WL, it might be our favorite resort. We can't wait to stay there again the future.

The one thing you might want to take into consideration is the quick service setup. As people like to point out, there is no quick service restaurant inside BWI itself. The Bellevue Lounge has breakfast options, but it is not a full quick service restaurant. There is the poolside quick service, and the other location is the Boardwalk Bakery, which is outside. Very nearby but outside. We did not have a problem with it. It was less walking to get to quick service than we've found at other deluxe resorts (GF in particular, but it looks like Poly could be the same). Some people, however, find it a big inconvenience.

We are trying to decide where to vacation. We've been several times to POR and Wilderness Lodge. We LOVE how you can take a boat to MK from Wilderness.

We don't want to end up at the Boardwalk Inn and be stuck with a bunch of drunks? lol

Please let me know your thoughts. It doesn't look very exciting, but Beach Club is not available and we can't stay at YC due to them allowed pets in the property.

Thank you.
Do what?
There are not bunches of drunks roaming around Boardwalk.
No clue where you got such a notion

The buskers on the Boardwalk are very entertaining to all ages. It, along with AKL, are places where many can go and have a blast and not even go to the parks.

Thank you.

It’s still just a hotel in Disney. It’s not on the actual Atlantic City, NJ Boardwalk!!! You’ll be fine!! Go and have fun!!

We do not want to stay at a resort that allows dogs due to allergies, plus we wouldn't want to sleep in a room with previous dogs.

But at ANY hotel throughout the US you could be sleeping in a room that had a dog in it. That’s the point. Doesn’t matter if it’s a pet or service dog.

And actually I’d rather stay after a pet because the front desk KNOWS there was a pet there. They don’t know about a service animal, necessarily.

Just not sure this is a logical avoidance of a resort you want to stay at.

Getting drunk at Disney is an expensive proposition. It’s not overly common. It’s not something to worry about.

And from my OWN life experience, watching drunk grownups as a teen made me want to avoid that. (And I had a hippie mom so can you guess what else I’ve almost entirely avoided?)

Just wanted to say that the only bunch of drunks we've encountered at a WDW resort was at the.....Polynesian! lol That being said, I certainly wouldn't assume or worry about being around drunks at BWI. Or at the Poly again, for that matter.

WHAT?!
LOL!! We have stayed at BWI too many times to count now...
My kids have practically grown up there and in all of our visits, I have yet to see someone drunk (if they were, I certainly didn’t know it)
We love the BWI.

Unfortunately, there wasn’t availability there for our trip this year, so we are doing the Beach Club for our family trip & my oldest son and I are doing a mom/son trip at Yacht.
We’ve stayed all over on property and it’s my absolute favorite area. Very laid back style and super friendly - fits our family perfectly!

We walked along the boardwalk on our last trip at night and loved it. There were tons of kids walking around and there was a funny “magician” to watch that had tons of families with small kids watching. I can’t imagine anywhere in Disney is bad to stay based on how much people drink.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter