Is Aulani worth it if you don’t have kids?

Aulani is both the least Disney and most Disney resort we've been to. The least 'Disney' in that Hawaii had strict rules in how the resort could be made under the Disney brand, as they didn't want a theme park hotel on the island, so it's not flashy with characters everywhere. However, it's also the most Disney in that Disney is a master of storytelling, as are Hawaiians, and Disney went to great lengths, beyond what you'll ever notice, to use the resort to tell the story of Hawaii: the history, the people, the culture, the food. From the different railings used on the balconies to the water features in the lobby, to the different landscaping in the pool area and the daily activities, everything is used to tell the story of Hawaii somehow. The art is Hawaiian; the ropes on the ceiling in 'AMA'AMA were made by local students; the wallpaper has a story; local artisans share their skills on site; uncle tells Hawaiian legends. It's truly incredible at how much detail is in the resort and how much can be learnt by exploring. That's Disney storytelling at its finest - and the more you look around, the more you'll find to the story. I really wish they wrote a book about all the details within the resort. Alas, Hawaiian tradition is to share stories by telling them in person, so no book will be made.

Think of it like Animal Kingdom Lodge, as they had the same primary designer - the resort doesn't feel like Disney until you experience the magic, the storytelling, and the mind-blowing level of detail in everything. Only, instead of an African safari setting, you're actually in Hawaii and between the ocean and the mountain.

Hmmm. Not quite sure what your niece was expecting. Its certainly not a theme park. Its a very nice resort which is fully immersed in the Hawaiian culture.

I suppose that her being in Hawaii often ...
and thinking Aulani equaled Disney rather than a Hawaiian style experience as best as I can explain. it just was not her thing and her disney fix/goal was not met there.
obviously knew it was not a theme park.. but expected a disney feel and yet felt no disney immersion.
Just another point of view. Enjoy.

My niece ( a disney lover) and her fiancé went and were sorely disappointed. She said she just didn’t feel any true disney immersion or feel.
Having said that... they are frequently on the island ..I think she really needed Park time rather than thinking Aulani was to be her disney “ fix”. It wasn’t and she was disappointed for what it cost.
So they re Walt Disney bound, again... it’s All good lol

I would be 100% in agreement - sorry for your niece's disappointment. There is no way I'll pay Disney prices when, in actuality, there is very little Disney. If it's the Hawaii experience you want, there are so many other nice resorts to stay at at less cost. When we want Disney, we will go to WDW.

I think 'Disney' is way over hyped there, when what most people are really doing is the Hawaii experience when there.

Hawaii is beautiful and has so much to offer - just leave Disney out of it, and get the Disney immersion where it's abundantly offered. :goodvibes

I would be 100% in agreement - sorry for your niece's disappointment. There is no way I'll pay Disney prices when, in actuality, there is very little Disney. If it's the Hawaii experience you want, there are so many other nice resorts to stay at at less cost. When we want Disney, we will go to WDW.

I think 'Disney' is way over hyped there, when what most people are really doing is the Hawaii experience when there.

Hawaii is beautiful and has so much to offer - just leave Disney out of it, and get the Disney immersion where it's abundantly offered. :goodvibes

If one's definition of "Disney" is the parks, I would agree with you. But Aulani is a resort and like the other Disney deluxe resorts, the Disney influences are everywhere but understated. Deluxe Disney resorts have great attention to detail and customer service. Aulani has both in spades. The layers of Hawaiian culture are amazing and much more extensive than other HI resorts at which we've stayed. Different strokes I guess.

You're right @BCV23, it all comes down to a personal level and our expectations. But, reading different reviews, it is obviously not only our family that feels that way. And, I'm sure a lot of it is when we think 'anything' Disney, it is to be fully immersed - and yes, the parks. Some people can actually take a vacation at one of the Disney resorts and never set foot in the parks, :confused3, but we couldn't - as you say, "Different strokes --------". :goodvibes

Worth is very subjective. DH and I stayed at Aulani for 6 nights (no kids) as part of our honeymoon. We are Disney fanatics, and couldn't fathom going to Hawaii without staying at Aulani because of that. We rented DVC points which made Aulani affordable an in-line with (or cheaper than) comparable resorts we stayed at over the course of our trip.

I do think that one should have a desire to go to Hawaii and take a Hawaiian vacation, with Aulani serving as the lodging. I think if you go with Aulani as the primary destination, you may find the worth or value to be lessened. People are sometimes disappointed when they spend 100% of their time at Aulani without exploring the rest of Hawaii. Keep in mind that Aulani is in a planned gated tourist community, and you're really sheltered from the beauty and culture of Oahu until you can get outside the Ko Olina area. Ko Olina is beautiful, but the one drawback of Aulani (for some) is the isolated location. Those that like to stay put or not drive on vacation may be disappointed by the location and lack of things to do in the immediate vicinity.

We're from Australia and the conversion rate is horrible, so it cost us A LOT of money but it was worth every cent of it.
We had our 2 year old with us and had a fantastic time, but TBH It would have been better without her LOL. Aulani would be fantastic as a couple with no kids.

When we are on the highway, ready to leave it and go into Ko’Olina, in our mind there is no hotel in that area that comes near to saying Hawaii, except Aulani. The contrast is obvious to us.

My wife and I our planning a May 2020 trip before we try for children later that year. So I sure hope Aulani is good for couples.

DW and I would much rather do a multi-island stay then just stay at one place, especially without kids. We did Oahu, Kuaui and Maui and it was a GREAT vacation. So much to see and do on each island, I would hate to stay at just one place or hangout at a resort, unless you go to Hawaii often.

I will be going solo in April 2020. I figure it was the safest way for me to go to Hawaii solo

Yes, absolutely yes! We love it there.
We've done a split stay in Waikiki (Royal Hawaiian) and then Aulani.
Last trip we stayed at Aulani 4 nights before heading for Maui. We love that combo a lot.

My husband and I have no kids. We stayed at Aulani for 5 nights this past May and the answer to your question, from my point of view, is unequivocally yes it is worth it. We paid $2000 by renting DVC points for our 5 nights (ocean view studio) and I would absolutely not hesitate to do it again. I will concede that it is not "complete Disney immersion" but it still felt downright magical. The view from Ama Ama for breakfast our first morning took my breath away and I remember sitting on our balcony one night with a drink listening to live Hawaiian renditions of Disney songs from the Oleo room wafting through the valley. Pure magic.

I am planning my honeymoon for Feb 2020 at Aulani. We are also doing 4 days at DLR. prior to going to Aulani. I've only ever been to WDW. I am excited! We decided to do the 4 days at DLR to get our "Disney" fix before going on to Aulani for the relaxation and romance part of our Honeymoon. I wanted to go to Disney for our honeymoon and my other half wanted to go on a relaxing beach vacation, so we lumped it together to get the best of both worlds. I'm not expecting theme park Disney in Hawaii, I am expecting that Disney service, I've grown to love.

We don't have kids and find Aulani the PERFECT spot! So much so we finally bought DVC at Aulani.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter