Is anyone getting through?

I know that these don't lead anywhere, but last night I was checking the ABD website to see if any of the Egypt trips reflected waitlist status. None of them did. I got a pop up to take a survey, which I did. It was about my experience with the website, asking what information I was seeking, was I successful in getting what I needed. I took this opportunity to let them know what a mini-disaster their opening day booking was for those of us who got shut out of our desired trips.

Just curious about those who were successful in booking Egypt--did you book on your own or use a travel agent? I see some comments from people who got through immediately in the morning, but I've yet to see anyone who had theirs booked through a TA.

I seem like I'm obsessing over this, but I am trying to learn from this experience since it's the first time we tried opening day booking.

Last edited:
I seem like I'm obsessing over this, but I am trying to learn from this experience since it's the first time we tried opening day booking.

I was able to get Egypt with an early booking discount, I used a TA from Small World Vacations, someone I used for the first time on my summer 2019 ABD and have been very pleased with her response time so asked her to book my 2020 Egypt. I think someone else noted their TA got Egypt for them with early booking.

I know that these don't lead anywhere, but last night I was checking the ABD website to see if any of the Egypt trips reflected waitlist status. None of them did. I got an pop up to take a survey, which I did. It was about my experience with the website, asking what information I was seeking, was I successful in getting what I needed. I took this opportunity to let them know what a mini-disaster their opening day booking was for those of us who got shut out of our desired trips.

Just curious about those who were successful in booking Egypt--did you book on your own or use a travel agent? I see some comments from people who got through immediately in the morning, but I've yet to see anyone who had theirs booked through a TA.

I belong to a group elsewhere, and MANY people on that board got Egypt through the TA who runs that board and other TA's.

Of course, the TA did not mention if any of her clients *didn't* get the Egypt trip they wanted, just if they *did* get it.

Sayhello

I'm currently on a British Isles cruise and found out that my Dreams agent was unable to get us on the December 2020 Egypt trip. I pretty much ditto everything you said. The opening day policy is ridiculous. The fact that they advertise "early booking discounts" and only have 4 spaces is really shifty marketing and does not reflect well on the brand. I also think they should give repeat ABDers a leg up over cruisers and DVC. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
This is how they run DCL, and I guess it has worked for them, but I really, really hate it! The product is so amazing, but these management level decisions really, really suck!!

This is exactly why I avoid Black Friday shopping like the plague. ABD needs to completely overhaul their opening day process.

We did not get our May or February ABD dates for Egypt. This is beyond frustrating and disappointing. Our son is in finance and has restrictions with quarter end and month end so we had limited choices. Dreams Unlimited has assured us they are working to have more dates added. But will those dates work for us? Maybe Will the price go up? Certainly.
The prices certainly did go up for the Japan trips they added after the first bunch sold out.

If ABD dates become available, we may book with ABD. Not because of their mis-managed office or less than stellar pre-trip customer service. It will be because we love the ABD guides and the people who tend to travel on these trips.

I don't know why I am loyal to ABD. I am starting to feel like an abused spouse who continues to stay with someone even though they are mistreated and unfaithful.

Sorry if I am being a Debbie downer. This just stinks!
OMG!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: This really hit home for me! You have so eloquently stated something that was kind of nagging at me! On another thread, someone said the musak while on hold told them the group size was now 45! And a part of me said "That would be *IT* for me!" and another part said "Would it? They've done crappy stuff before, and you've still gone back because you love them." Criminy, you hit this thing right on the head!!!

Sayhello

Last edited:

I belong to a group elsewhere, and MANY people on that board got Egypt through the TA who runs that board and other TA's.

Of course, the TA did not mention if any of her clients *didn't* get the Egypt trip they wanted, just if they *did* get it.

Sayhello

If we didn't have work restrictions, we could have had our choice of two other dates.

The ABD Egypt trips all show as waitlist now.

This is how they run DCL, and I guess it has worked for them, but I really, really hate it! The product is so amazing, but these management level decisions really, really suck!!

The prices certainly did go up for the Japan trips they added after the first bunch sold out.

OMG!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: This really hit home for me! You have so eloquently stated something that was kind of nagging at me! On another thread, someone said the musak while on hold told them the group size was now 45! And a part of me said "That would be *IT* for me!" and another part said "Would it? They've done crappy stuff before, and you've still gone back because you love them." Criminy, you hit this thing right on the head!!!

Sayhello

I find myself getting more and more frustrated with ABD's nickel and diming and horrid cancellation policies. The mouse house in general is pretty greedy. But every time I think I'm done, I come back to the fact I like their itineraries best for certain destinations on my list. It's definitely an abusive relationship, wanting to leave but then being drawn back in by good qualities.

I know that these don't lead anywhere, but last night I was checking the ABD website to see if any of the Egypt trips reflected waitlist status. None of them did. I got a pop up to take a survey, which I did. It was about my experience with the website, asking what information I was seeking, was I successful in getting what I needed. I took this opportunity to let them know what a mini-disaster their opening day booking was for those of us who got shut out of our desired trips.

I booked with a TA, and she was able to get DD and me booked for the December trip, but no EBD. (She is someone we met on an ABD in 2014 and she then started her own travel agency. She has also booked our Thomson, Nat Geo and Nat Hab family trips.). Totally agree with all those who abhor ABD’s booking and pricing policies (and large group sizes), but I’m really intrigued by this trip. I’m going to hold on to our spots to maximize flexibility, but I’m still not absolutely sure we will do this trip on this date. Some of it will depend on where DD ends up at college/university and how her holiday break lines up.

My TA (also from Small World--maybe we have the same agent!) was able to get us Egypt with the EBD in June/July. When she got through (10 minutes after opening). There was 1 room left for December (our first choice). We needed 2 rooms.

Based on the seemingly high demand just on this board for December, I had given her a back up date which we got and I was so happy to get the discount, too. Without her, we would not be going.

We also had a cruise booked for Summer 2020 so she helped me change that yesterday because we did not want two big trips next summer.

I think this was the craziest ABD opening day that I can remember. I don't think they thought the demand for Egypt would be this high. It will be interesting to see if they add more dates.

It sounded like a nightmare for most but I would emphasize being flexible. Having a plan B got us a reservation. I know lots of the dates didn't work for many but that helped us a lot and I am glad my paranoia and over-planning FINALLY paid off (it so rarely does).

Last edited:
We booked through a TA. Did not get December OR EBD but we did get a date.

Chirpie,

I hope you put yourself on the waitlist. My travel agent called at 8am and was able to get us the reservation for October 20 Egypt trip but could not get the Early booking discount. I have been on 6 ABD vacations and have been very loyal to the ABD brand as every vacation we have taken has been fabulous but this business practice of restricting the discount to the Callers who happen to get picked for the que a fraction of a second earlier reminds me of Walmart on Black Friday. Plus, they allow thousands of cruise customers and DVC members ( btw we are DVC members too) to book on the same day as prior ABD customers. They really don’t value repeat ABD clients so I will most likely cancel my reservation. I hope you get it.

When I found out that I didn’t get the EBD I booked the last spot on the November 1, 2020 Tauck Egypt vacation which is actually a little more expensive than ABD but at least everyone paid the same price.

I will take a few days to mull all of this over then cancel one of the reservations.

Congratulations to all of you who got what you wanted.

I also looked at the Tauck and Thompson Egypt trips as back ups. We were planning to do tauck to Costa Rica for 2020 but decided to try for Egypt. We did not get the Dec date we wanted but did get June through ABD, I just hope they don't don't get

I was able to get Egypt with an early booking discount, I used a TA from Small World Vacations, someone I used for the first time on my summer 2019 ABD and have been very pleased with her response time so asked her to book my 2020 Egypt. I think someone else noted their TA got Egypt for them with early booking.

Like @Happy99, I was able to get Egypt with an Early booking discount. I also used a TA from Small World Vacations. She booked our upcoming China ABD for us. She has been fantastic, great response time and availability even when away. I didn't hesitate to ask her to book Egypt 2020 for us. Yesterday, I had an email from her confirming my booking before 8:00 am Central time.

Like @Happy99, I was able to get Egypt with an Early booking discount. I also used a TA from Small World Vacations. She booked our upcoming China ABD for us. She has been fantastic, great response time and availability even when away. I didn't hesitate to ask her to book Egypt 2020 for us. Yesterday, I had an email from her confirming my booking before 8:00 am Central time.

I am pretty sure we all have the same agent from Small World! Kudos to Sandy (hope that's who you have)! She rocked it yesterday.

I am pretty sure we all have the same agent from Small World! Kudos to Sandy (hope that's who you have)! She rocked it yesterday.

Wow, interesting. Wonder if they have some kind of inside connection. Duly noted for next time. I always wonder how far I am down on my agents list and/or if I’m competing with other agents at same place. Given level of interest in Egypt, I probably should have tried calling myself as a backup.

Japan last year and Egypt this year have clearly illustrated the need to break up ABD's early reservations into multiple days. Create an ABD tier system similar to DCL's Silver, Gold, & Platinum. And open Reservations for Tue - Platinum, Wed - Silver, Thu - Silver, Fri - the DCL & DVC guests. It's frankly the least they can do to reward guest loyalty at this point.

Wow, interesting. Wonder if they have some kind of inside connection. Duly noted for next time. I always wonder how far I am down on my agents list and/or if I’m competing with other agents at same place. Given level of interest in Egypt, I probably should have tried calling myself as a backup.
I have been kicking myself that I didn't wake up early as well. I do think it was luck of the draw. DU is ABD's biggest customer so I would think they would have a hotline if anyone did. But you make a good point. Maybe we weren't high on DU's list.

We did receive an email from Kevin at DU that they are trying everything in their power to fix the situation for DU clients. I am hoping they have some sort of pull with ABD. We'll see.

I think it is everyone competing for the same thing, agencies, agents within the agency, people calling directly and luck of the draw on who gets through first.

I waited on hold for just over 2 hours and I didn't even want the Egypt trip. Halfway through the hold I realized I could have called later in the week and still gotten my reservations, but I that point - I was invested. My ABD agent did mention I was only her 2nd caller of the day that was NOT booking Egypt. Apparently the demand for those were HUGE. PS - i called around 9:30 am.

I waited on hold for just over 2 hours and I didn't even want the Egypt trip. Halfway through the hold I realized I could have called later in the week and still gotten my reservations, but I that point - I was invested. My ABD agent did mention I was only her 2nd caller of the day that was NOT booking Egypt. Apparently the demand for those were HUGE. PS - i called around 9:30 am.
They really should have had a separate number for Egypt only!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter