Is a half day worth the effort?

lovedisney123

DIS Veteran
We are going on a trip through a tour company that is going from city to city to city. Every other day moving to a new city. We arrive in Paris on a Sunday night, on Monday morning we have a tour of the city, then the afternoon and evening we have free time.

Some in my group want to go to Disneyland Paris. I would like to see it, but I am not convinced it is worth trying to go out to it and I assume pay full price for entering for half the day. The next morning we head to Switzerland.

So.....would it be worth trying to fit it in? We go to Disney World every year, but have never visited a part outside the US.

I would love to hear what others think. Thanks!

Sunday night: arrival
Monday morning: tour city of Paris
Monday afternoon/evening: free time.
Tuesday: Going to Switzerland.

When are you going to Paris, which day?
The day depends on how much a one day ticket will costs, somewhere between 53 and 79 EUR for 1 adult for 1 park.

Are you coming from an European or an international flight/train? Is there a significant time difference?
How far into your trip are you? If it's the beginning you might have some energy left, but the longer on the road, the more tired you will be with all the destinations in a short time.

And how much free time do you have?
It takes about 1 hour to get from downtown Paris to Disneyland Paris. Are you free from 12:00 or 15:00 pm?
Also to look into till when the park is open.

I am inclined to say with such a busy schedule: don't do it. It's relatively expensive for a few hours, and you might need some down time more than running around in a park.
Better come back and have a proper visit. On the other hand, a short time at Disney is better than no time...

(With the side note, as discussed in another thread a week ago: Do you love Disney or do you love Disney World https://www.disboards.com/threads/disneyland-paris-in-comparison-to-wdw.3740978/)

We are in London on Day 1 & Day 2 of our trip. Then we leave on Day 3 and arrive in Paris that night. On Day 4 we have a tour around Paris in the morning and at noon we are free the rest of the day, and leave in the morning on Day 5 of our trip (its an 11 day trip). My friends want to go. I absolutely love Disney. But it just sounds so tight time wise. So I am trying to figure out if we would like it. I watched a vlog from someone who was there this week, and it did not look that good, but in fairness, there was snow on the ground and it was raining. We will be there the first week of August (Monday August 5th).

We will probably never return to Europe again (I have health issues and we are 59 years old, so this is probably our only trip to Paris).

We are in London on Day 1 & Day 2 of our trip. Then we leave on Day 3 and arrive in Paris that night. On Day 4 we have a tour around Paris in the morning and at noon we are free the rest of the day, and leave in the morning on Day 5 of our trip (its an 11 day trip). My friends want to go. I absolutely love Disney. But it just sounds so tight time wise. So I am trying to figure out if we would like it. I watched a vlog from someone who was there this week, and it did not look that good, but in fairness, there was snow on the ground and it was raining. We will be there the first week of August (Monday August 5th).

We will probably never return to Europe again (I have health issues and we are 59 years old, so this is probably our only trip to Paris).

No park looks good with slushy snow on the ground. That will be the least of your concerns in August if you look further I am sure you will find plenty of vlogs to show the beauty of DLP as it is better designed than the US parks as they learned from previous experience.

But you sound you really want to go, you probably don't have another option, then just do it. How are you travelling to Switzerland, by plane or train? By plane it is a short trip, if by train you can get your rest and recover.

I honestly do not remember how we are traveling. We are part of a tour group and they are moving us the next day. Do you know how late the park is usually open in August? We probably won't get there until 2:00 or 3:00pm (14:00 or 15:00). If we had at least 6 hours it may be worth it. Thanks so much for your help. And glad to hear it is pretty. The snowy rainy video did not look magical. lol

I honestly do not remember how we are traveling. We are part of a tour group and they are moving us the next day. Do you know how late the park is usually open in August? We probably won't get there until 2:00 or 3:00pm (14:00 or 15:00). If we had at least 6 hours it may be worth it. Thanks so much for your help. And glad to hear it is pretty. The snowy rainy video did not look magical. lol

My guess would be closing time around 11? You are there in the middle of summer holidays, the days are long and the sun doesn't set till around 10.
If money is no objection, as time is very limited, you might want to look into the paid fastpasses DLP offers: https://www.disneylandparis.com/en-gb/fastpass
Then you can make the most of your time and not rushing to see it all.

Try this 40 minute waltkthrough
&
This channel SoCal 360 is a good source for onride videos as well.
Or the videos on this channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqy5oSy8jMM4rv1fWqVt71Q

Oh I did not know Disney did something like this. Yes, that may help! Can we buy them when we arrive, or do you have to buy them ahead of time. And do you have a specific time to be at the rides? Or you just go to the fast pass line when you get to the ride?

Everything is on the website ;-) You can find the different options and all the conditions on the link in my previous post. I've never used them, but as far as I know they are valid from 10:30am, when the FP queue opens and then you can go to the entrance.
I would buy these and the tickets ahead of time, as your time is so limited. When you arrive at 3pm most ticket booths will be closed so all the guests who still need to buy a ticket are all in the same queue.

Everything is on the website ;-) You can find the different options and all the conditions on the link in my previous post. I've never used them, but as far as I know they are valid from 10:30am, when the FP queue opens and then you can go to the entrance.
I would buy these and the tickets ahead of time, as your time is so limited. When you arrive at 3pm most ticket booths will be closed so all the guests who still need to buy a ticket are all in the same queue.

Oh good point! I bet they would be gone by 3:00. OK. Thanks so much. Having Fast Passes really changes things! We should be able to experience some things. And since I only like the family rides and not the thrill rides, that fast pass doesn't look too bad. Thanks again!

I just want to add that if I were in your shoes (only trip to Europe) my priority would be DLP ;)

Sounds like paying for fast passes is a great option!

If you are into Marvel, I would look into buying a two park ticket, as the Studios have a Marvel Summer of Super Heroes with extra shows and Meet & Greets.

Otherwise stick to Disneyland Park. What I would do:
  • Get a big lunch / or pack sandwiches before you enter the park, so you can survive till after the dinner rush.
  • When you get to the park, check the waiting times on the app or on the board at the end of Main Street.
  • As it's the busiest time of the day, I would suggest to start with sightseeing: Admire the beauty of our pink castle and walk through the story of Sleeping Beauty and visit the dragon under the castle.
  • Go to Discoveryland to ride Buzz with your purchased fast pass.
  • Go to Fantasyland to ride Peter Pan with your fast pass
  • Ride Casey Junior and Pays des Contes Fees as these close early.
  • Parade is probably around 5 / 5:30, watch it from the beginning of the parade route in front of It's a Small World. When you get into the queue, there is a part where you can get out of the queue to stop and watch the parade from an elevated area.
  • After the parade, get into It's a Small World. After this, maybe check what the waiting times are to meet Mickey.
  • It's now dinner time, so probably the wait times get lower, I would suggest to check Pinocchio & Snow White and Alice' Labyrinth.
  • Then I would go to Phantom Manor (if it ever re-opens ;-) ) and / or get on the Riverboat (if both, do Phantom Manor first. As its the closest ride to boat is Phantom Manor, after the boat empties, most people go to Phantom Manor)
  • Ride Pirates of the Caribbean.
  • Watch the fireworks!
You have done most of all the family friendly stuff, and you should be able to do the walkthrough Passage d'Aladdin, maybe Philharmagic (which is identical to the US but with some French songs), and if you have time left and it's still day time to ride the train around the park.

Last edited:
I am really more 'classic' Disney stuff. I am not into Marvel (although my husband enjoys them, he isn't a die hard fan). I am printing out your suggestions and taking them with us! We once did all 4 parks in a day at Disney World.....so I think we can look at this as a 'challenge'. lol

No Marvel summer this year! The Marvel season is already on going, only Jungle and Lion King during the summer this year.

Yesterday was not my best day and this just adds to the list!
What's going on there, a Spring festival like Pirates & Princesses in Winter, and a Summer event that end in June.... I want to go there and explain the seasons to the entertainment department. :P

They're just making sure we're staying on top of our game by mixing it all up :P

Was just walking in between the Marvel statues in Studio's yesterday and thought it would be strange to have the finish of the runs there without them, but then I thought, it might not even be there, with Rock 'n' Rollercoaster closed, they'll probably close that entire back section?
Hadn't really thought about the route for the run weekend. I don't even remember what we had in 2016 and 2017, I think both finished outside the parks, near Five Guys and Vaipiano.
I think it will have to be on the side of R&R, if you take the other side, you would rope off Ratatouille & Crush Coaster for the regular guests. Which then closes off most of the big rides.

No Marvel summer this year! The Marvel season is already on going, only Jungle and Lion King during the summer this year.

The vlog you watched wasn't from someone who was there this week, there was no snow there this week. I was there yesterday and I got back sunburned. The vlog you saw was probably from January or from February last year, as there isn't snow that often

Oh OK. It wasn't a very flattering vblog. I need to just ignore it. Now that I know I can buy fast passes (especially because I want to go on ratatouille) I am thinking this is more doable. I'm excited :)

I had a half day to visit the parks last August after being at a conference and had a really lovely 7 hours there - see my little report here: https://disboards.com/threads/solo-visit-for-7-hours.3705891/#post-59819480
The difference is that I have visited the Paris parks a lot (I live in Scotland), so as well as being very familiar with the park there was also no pressure to do or see anything in particular.
However, I'd still say it would be worth you doing - I'd highly recommend just going to the main park and not trying to squeeze in the Studios as well. I hope my report helps you see what was achievable in 7 hours in August - I'd say I managed to do roughly one thing (show/parade/attraction/meal) per hour on average. I was taking my time though, enjoying the atmosphere and sunshine, and even stopped for a glass of wine!

I had a half day to visit the parks last August after being at a conference and had a really lovely 7 hours there - see my little report here: https://disboards.com/threads/solo-visit-for-7-hours.3705891/#post-59819480
The difference is that I have visited the Paris parks a lot (I live in Scotland), so as well as being very familiar with the park there was also no pressure to do or see anything in particular.
However, I'd still say it would be worth you doing - I'd highly recommend just going to the main park and not trying to squeeze in the Studios as well. I hope my report helps you see what was achievable in 7 hours in August - I'd say I managed to do roughly one thing (show/parade/attraction/meal) per hour on average. I was taking my time though, enjoying the atmosphere and sunshine, and even stopped for a glass of wine!

Thanks! I will share this with my DH. He is on the fence about the half day :) But I think we need to try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!