Is a few hours in Temecula worthwhile on way to San Diego?

Lucky'sMom

DIS Veteran
I've read some mixed reviews. It sounds like a quaint little town...what do you think? We will have our two teen daughters with us, so we won't be doing many wine tastings. Is the town itself enough to justify the drive on our way from Laguna Beach area to La Jolla?

Temecula is small but a nice little town. It has antique stores. The balloon and wine festival. Winery's. I am sure you could find things to do in Lake Elsinor as well. I know for me and my DH we would be shopping in the antique stores.

You don't mention when you are going. The wine and balloon festival is May 20-22 2016.

Check out these websites for deals in the areas you are visiting.

Livingsocials.com

Groupon.com

Travelzoo.com

Last edited:
No it is not worth the drive if you aren't going antique shopping or wine tasting. It's a cute downtown but it's really out of your way. You would be better of stopping in Carlsbad or Cardiff by the Sea for cute downtowns. And both are along the 5 freeway that connect Laguna to la jolla. La jolla has a cute downtown too. Spend more time there.

I would say no. We are in Northern San Diego (Escondido) and go up there wine tasting because we have winery memberships but we don't go there for anything else. Their "Old Town" area is very small and really has nothing unique about it. The rest of the city is large, very congested when driving and looks just like every other inland southern california place. The wineries are about 20 minutes east of town and that's a beautiful area but it's purely wineries. Unless you are going there for wine tasting only and have all day, I wouldn't bother.

No it is not worth the drive if you aren't going antique shopping or wine tasting. It's a cute downtown but it's really out of your way. You would be better of stopping in Carlsbad or Cardiff by the Sea for cute downtowns. And both are along the 5 freeway that connect Laguna to la jolla. La jolla has a cute downtown too. Spend more time there.

Totally agree. We spent a couple hours in the downtown area 2 years ago. But we were 2 older women just enjoying the shops.
With 2 teenaged girls I'm sure they would much rather a couple of hours at the outlet mall in Carlsbad, it's easy to get to and right off the freeway.

We stay in Lake Elsinore with my father-in-law before our DLR trip each Spring/Fall. Temecula is "down the road". There isn't much to do in the area for kids, unless mini-golf (Murietta), and Baseball are your thing. The Lake Elsinore Storm has a FANTASTIC baseball field. You can picnic in the lawn, one of the newest ballfields in the minors. If you go to Lake Elsinore, eat at King Kebab right off of 15 - THE best Persian food within a HUGE area!! Kind of a drive from San Diego, though just to sightsee.

If you're looking for wineries, San Diego has a few too. If you're planning a trip to the Safari Park, there are several nearby where you can stop, have a drink, and some food on the way. I hear Cordiano Winery has good pizza!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter