Is a Fee for Magical Express Coming Next?

Will WDW start charging for Magical Express transport within the next few years?

• Yes, given the way things are headed it seem likely.

Votes: 170 56.9%
  • No, it's still too important to them to try to keep guests on property.

Votes: 125 41.8%
  • No, Disney execs won't want to burden guests with any more fees.(Threw this one in just for laughs.)

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
In the pre-DME days, we had to pay for transportation to the resort. You could buy transfer tickets from Mears. For whatever reason, Disney decided it was good business to provide the service for free. Something would have to convince Disney that the service was no longer a financial win for them. I don't think we're there yet, but the ease and convenience of Uber for getting people off property could mean the DME will be of less benefit to Disney.

Probably. This fee for resort parking has effectively eliminated the "free to park at the parks!" perk you got from staying there. Nickel & diming has been the name of the game for years now. I won't be surprised to see if we start getting tiered park tickets where a more expensive ticket grants you access to more attractions or certain hours of the day (they've been dancing around that with the peak vs value tickets, the tiered rides, and these morning/after hours events).

I think they would be smart to keep DME free. If people have a rental car now they might be more apt to have dinner or go shopping off site. They might choose to spend a couple days at universal or sea world -- I think i would be more likely to explore outside of WDW if i had to get a car to make my airport transfer more cost effective.

My thing with all of this from an economics perspective is...when do all of these fees now take over for the nice dinner at Jiko, expensive souvenir, extra tour or experience, etc? When do these fees replace the current "extras" that cost more than just your standard admission?

I can't see families that will be able to pay for all of these add ons and still spend in the shops...so when those sales drop will Disney be shocked?

It cost us $50.00 to get to MCO and from Kissimmee Amtrak station during recent trips via cab. Beats the current cost of a parking lot by far.
Unless nearby hotels start charging for their airport shuttles (besides Dolphin and Swan) I doubt Disney will until it starts costing them money on some end or the other.

It cost us $50.00 to get to MCO and from Kissimmee Amtrak station during recent trips via cab. Beats the current cost of a parking lot by far.
True. That's why I think Disney might think they can charge for DME.

If they start charging for Magical Express I'm going off site when we don't with our DVC points. Magical Express is honestly the only thing keeping me from going offsite and renting a car.
It is a savings that I notice every time I compare the price of an offsite resort.

I honestly have no idea because I think the optics of the resort parking fees are so terrible that I am still a little blown away that they decided to go after that revenue stream. If they do this, I will 100% be giving Uber my transportation money and not WDW.
I agree with that! The Minnie vans were already more than Uber at 20, but then they bumped it up to 25, and then made it a tipped position. It doesn’t cost 30 to use an Uber around property. We are DVC members, and this still infuriates me, especially having the tiered pricing for the different resort categories.

I think convincing more people to fly and use DME is the main reason they instituted the parking fees.

DME stays complimentary.

I realize we are the minority, but if we have to pay to fly, we can't go. Not to mention the hassle of flying, the 3-hour drive to the airport and back, etc.

It doesn't matter for us, we are staying offsite for the first time this trip in a condo at Windsor Hills ($950 for 9 nights, 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom) instead of our usual stay at a moderate resort. Yes, it outside the Disney bubble that we have always loved, but the bubble is getting less and less attractive, although the parking fee is just a small part of that.

I do expect them to start charging to park at Disney Springs soon, though. Otherwise, people will be parking for free there and using the bus to get back to their resort.

I agree with that! The Minnie vans were already more than Uber at 20, but then they bumped it up to 25, and then made it a tipped position. It doesn’t cost 30 to use an Uber around property. We are DVC members, and this still infuriates me, especially having the tiered pricing for the different resort categories.
So do you find the response time significantly faster for Uber?
If so, I'd certainly ignore the Minnie cars.

Yikes. You actually want guests to have to pay even more? I don't drive at WDW, but I don't want those who drive to have to pay those stupid resort parking fees.

Yes I do, why should I be the only one to pay more. It should be the same for all. I don't liketo fly it would take me longer to fly than drive and now I have to pay more and use less.

I think they would be smart to keep DME free. If people have a rental car now they might be more apt to have dinner or go shopping off site. They might choose to spend a couple days at universal or sea world -- I think i would be more likely to explore outside of WDW if i had to get a car to make my airport transfer more cost effective.

But the question is... would people still rent a car ($$) and pay for parking at their resort ($$) just because DME started charging? Or would they just suck it up and pay for DME? If Disney thinks most would do the latter, rather than grabbing an Uber or booking a towncar, they'll start charging.

At some places, I get it. Especially in large metropolitan areas, space is extremely limited, so it makes sense to have to pay to park.

At Disney? Not so much. There is plenty of space for resort guests to park. If they truly had a problem at some of the deluxe resorts, they COULD limit parking to only those guests staying at the resort and force everyone else to use Disney transport.

I guess that’s where my problem is with this. They don’t NEED to charge for parking. It feels to me like they’re just trying to figure out a way to squeeze more $$ out of people.

Granted, I don't go when it is super packed and don't stay at monorail resorts (too much $$$), but I have never noticed a lack of parking. You may not be able to park super close, but I have never been anywhere close to unable to find a space like at some other hotels.

No and here's why I think they won't.
Parking fees are the norm in the hotel industry. This is one of the reasons Disney is using for adding on the fee.
Airport shuttle fees are not. Majority of hotels that offer them provide them for free. I doubt Disney is going to start charging for something most hotels do for free.
But what do I know. Just my thoughts

Not really. They are the norm in Disney Springs, in Universal, and a few places that bill themselves as "Resorts". Most of the hotels and motels I've stayed at offsite (Along 192 or I-Drive) don't charge for parking. No matter how you cut it, the All-Stars are just an overly themed motel on Disney property. Basically a Rosen with a lot of decorations, except the Rosen is cheaper and doesn't charge $13/day for parking.

I don't believe I have even seen any rumors anywhere that there will be a charge for DME. That expense appears to be rolled into the room rate for WDW resorts.

Resort fees, yes.

EMH was not strictly always for WDW owned resorts. Swan and Dolphin had it for a long time, so did Shades of Green and the Hilton. That's nothing new.

What they're really doing is freeing up the parking costs from the resort room fee...the parking fees will now remain the same even if one books a discounted room rate. "Unbundling" the costs of the resort as it were. It's the big thing in the hotel world.

Except, they aren't reducing prices. Sure, they can claim this is in place of a price increase, but does anyone really believe they won't continue to raise prices anyways (on top of the parking fee) if they think people will pay it? The rack rates are already severely overpriced. But, at least they came with some perks (60 Day FastPass Window, Free DME, Access to EMH, Free Parking, etc...) Now, the perks are disappearing one by one or becoming upcharges.

Back in the mid 90's...didn't you pay to take a Mears coach from MCO to WDW? I thought there may have been a charge in 2004 when we went too.

In the pre-DME days, we had to pay for transportation to the resort. You could buy transfer tickets from Mears. For whatever reason, Disney decided it was good business to provide the service for free. Something would have to convince Disney that the service was no longer a financial win for them. I don't think we're there yet, but the ease and convenience of Uber for getting people off property could mean the DME will be of less benefit to Disney.
I posted, then read...glad I am not going crazy for thinking this.

Not really. They are the norm in Disney Springs, in Universal, and a few places that bill themselves as "Resorts". Most of the hotels and motels I've stayed at offsite (Along 192 or I-Drive) don't charge for parking. No matter how you cut it, the All-Stars are just an overly themed motel on Disney property. Basically a Rosen with a lot of decorations, except the Rosen is cheaper and doesn't charge $13/day for parking..
I guess I'm comparing to elsewhere. We pay to park at most all other hotels we stay at, such as around an airport, but we never pay to get to/from the airport when we stay there. So Disney is operating like them. Maybe not norm in Orlando but it is norm elsewhere

The Minnie vans actually aren't that bad... They're more expensive than a standard Uber but pretty close to prices for Uber XL (depending on origin/destination, of course - CBR to GF was $21, but YC to CBR was only $12). And they all have carseats available without the upcharge Uber tacks on, which probably has value for many Disney guests.

Wait until they start to charge for Fast Passes. After all, isn't that what the industry does? Who would have guessed that Disney is aspiring to be just like the "industry". Guess they will eventually become another also-ran in the vacation industry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter