Is a cabana worth it

crazy_for_the_dis

DIS Veteran
With lower hotel occupancy, is getting a pool cabana worth it in October? One of our days will be mainly a pool day, and every other trip we always get a cabana. The price is so right, especially with the food credit. How crowded are the pools are the weekends? Based on the availability online, it looks like the hotel will be fairly booked to me.

I'm not sure if it's worth it or not, however we are going mid-month in October and getting a Cabana one afternoon is high on the list. It's nothing we've done before, but it's been a long 6 months Covid and life-wise and all my husband wants is, as he says, "to sit and watch a movie or listen to a book and eat cheeseburgers and drink cocktails one afternoon."
So, availability assumed, we are going to get one.

Where are you staying? Whenever we have stayed at HRH, we saw maybe one or two cabanas occupied and the rest were empty. Tons of chairs to choose from as well, though maybe not the ones on the beach or right up next to the pool. IMO, I would wait until you're there to reserve one only if you feel you need it. In my own experience, they're not something that seem to book up that quickly. Also, we've had days in October when the weather is high 70s, so our pool time was limited to the afternoon and a cabana would not have been worth it in those cases.

Not sure where the OP is staying, we are at Royal Pacific. For us personally it isn't about what chairs are available or not, and it will for sure be a last minute decision. If we do, and they have availability we probably will. This is a very deliberately not over planned trip for us.
If our trip had a day or two in the high 70's I'd be thrilled! I'm thinking it won't, but your comment that you'd had days at that temp give me hope haha!

Staying at RPH, and I called for pricing, which I think varies by date. For our date, it is 225 and includes a 50 credit for Bula.

We always got one in the past at HRH since to me the pool was always crowded. But this was pre covid several years ago, plus we always went in the middle of summer before. And I think I paid more than that, but not sure. Heck, I paid 500 for one last winter at Kalahari, so 225 seems like a steal.

What are the prices for a cabana at The contemporary? I couldn't find it on the website.

Last week at Royal Pacific -

half day rental was $75, full day was $125 w/ $25 credit.
I think - you'll want to double check for yourself - half day is from open till 3 OR 4 till close. Full day is - well, full day. Presume half & full day times are about same roughly year round, price I'm told varies a fair bit depending on time of year and all that.

I do not know where you're staying, but just came back from the Hard Rock and even with it being a weekend, a holiday weekend that was massively crowded in terms of at least City Walk / US/IoA the pools seemed pretty quiet.

I would say that the higher tier hotels seem to be on the quiet side when it comes to pool activity during these times and I wonder if it's since it's more adult focused than kid focused. As when I visited a friend at RP last month it seemed relatively quiet as well. However, when I actually stayed on site at CB during July it was insanely crowded and no one seemed to know what personal space was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!