Is 17 hours too long in the parks?

This is one of those questions that IMO if you have to ask then you probably already answered your own question.

Personally it would not be too long of a day for my sister and I.
We've done MK 7am-1am and then back at 7am before. We've also done 9am-3am and back up for an 8am.
I've also gotten up at 3am to head to the airport for a 6am flight and then stayed up and went to DS and then MVMCP until 12am.
When it comes to WDW we are warriors.

I would do it if it wasn't in the heat of the summer, however I just looked and it seems your trip is in 2 days. This time of years is hot hot hot and humid. As 2 adults you can take a food break or do things like tiki birds, carousel of progress, country bear jamboree, and mickeys philharmagic to take rest breaks. Make the most of your time as who knows when your next trip will be. You can always rest when you go home.:)

I think so! We leave our house at 4:00 am for a two hour flight then hit the ground running, not going back to our room until after park close. Sleep in a bit the next day, you'll be great!

Thanks for all the advice!! It made me feel loads better. We aren’t really doing a full one WDW vacation. We are going to the beach for a day, doing two days at Uni and two days at Disney. We have a break day before our MK and leave the next day in the afternoon so we’ll definitely have time to sleep in and relax.

I pretty much do that every day of my trip. I'm going to maximize park time. I can sleep when I get home. :)

Of course, only you can make that decision for yourself. You can always try, and when you get tired, head back to the hotel.

Thanks for all the advice!! It made me feel loads better. We aren’t really doing a full one WDW vacation. We are going to the beach for a day, doing two days at Uni and two days at Disney. We have a break day before our MK and leave the next day in the afternoon so we’ll definitely have time to sleep in and relax.
Given this additional information, I think it should be very doable.

A very long day for sure, but definitely doable! I categorically would need a break midday, even if only in the form of a sitdown late lunch/early dinner. Maybe a 3 pm reservation at Crystal Palace or The Plaza? I just find an hour off my feet in the AC does wonders for rejuvenating, way more than a show or ride like Carousel of Progress that I need to "pay attention to."

I couldn’t do that many hours visiting the parks in one day, but that’s just me. I like touring one park per day, for around 4-5 hours, and then spending some time at the resort, hanging out at the pool, dining at a favorite restaurant, maybe visit Disney Sprigs.

My daughter and I do several days like that every trip, (except the past two with my 3 year old grandaughter). During Christmas, we hit MK at 6:45ish and stayed till close for 4 or 5 days of the trip. We had a table service lunch each day and sat through 3 rounds of COP or People Mover to rest a bit, but we had a blast.

My only advice, stay hydrated!!! We did a long day and my daughter got heat stroke in 2016. We had to have medical evac. at HS while in line waiting for Jedi Training to start. The heat during this summer humidity and sun will wear you out more than the hours. (She recovered quickly when we got her plenty of fluids and got her heart rate back under control.)

I could totally see myself doing this. But I'd need to have good company was also up for that schedule. My willingness to do this depends on:

1. how's the weather? if it will be 95 degrees and 99% humidity all day, this is not as much fun. Best if it's a mild fall or late winter day with a pleasant breeze
2. did I sleep well the night before? And am I going to have to do this again tomorrow?
3.When you say you don't have time for a mid-day break, is that because your day is packed with mandatory fun from rope drop to close? How flexible is this schedule to suit the vacation mood?
4. If there are no mid-day breaks, are there at least mid-day low-key activities? Things like a relaxed table service lunch under air conditioning. Or a Hall of Presidents or Country Bear show. Or a steamboat ride around the Rivers of America. Or a block of time for indoor air conditioned shop browsing.

My first few trips I did things like that, park open to park close, and ended up sick every time.

Now I try to get enough sleep and rest, which has led to better health during and after the trips.

YMMV.

I’ve done it with young kids BUT it was a very short trip (e.g. 1 or 2 park days only).

Haven’t read all posts. For me too long but I am spoiled with loong trips where we sleep in and do half days. But I drag kids and my older mom with.

If I was on my own or a couple no problem. A week of 17 hr days is a no for me. But your trip sounds short so why not. I would get plenty of sleep night before. I would plan longer lunch or dinner breaks in A/C. Do a monorail trip. The GF has a nice lobby to chill and listen to music. Or CR has couches on the convention level to chill or the Poly. Do the train at MK, carousel of progress, people mover are all fun things to do but give you a physical break.

I'd go for it. If you said you won't be back for a few years then doing as much as you can in that day is worth it .don't want to get home and be upset you missed something you wanted to do.
It's not terrible if you take the advise given of relaxing at slow sit down attractions. I suggest going over to Tom Sawyer Island for a while mid day. It won't be crowded and it has shade and chairs, getting a rocking chair is nice. You can also take lunch over there from Pecos and enjoy a relaxing time. If you go by parade time you can see a good portion of it from Polly's on the island.

My only advice, stay hydrated!!! We did a long day and my daughter got heat stroke in 2016. We had to have medical evac. at HS while in line waiting for Jedi Training to start. The heat during this summer humidity and sun will wear you out more than the hours. (She recovered quickly when we got her plenty of fluids and got her heart rate back under control.)

And please don't hydrate with soda and iced tea or anything like that. Drink plenty of water. I can't tell you how many times I'd had to call for guest being dehydrated and they said they were drinking. But not water. As a former CM this happened a lot.

We tend to go to a park, take a break back at the the hotel, then do another park.

As others have said, you will never know until you try, and you can always leave. Also, as just tw adults, yes, you can always take a break in the arks, a nice long sit down meal, perhaps cool off a bit at the CoP or hall of presidents. There is always just sitting on the peoplemover...

Depending when you are there and how crazy it is, you can always walk over to the Contemporary for a while too...

Oh it's def. doable then! Just follow the advice most others have given and have a nice, leisurely lunch and take a few other small breaks.

Sidenote: This thread has made me miss the 24 hour days. My daughters and I went to those and loved them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter